Order-of-magnitude analysis HW help

• Thread starter kphys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, using an order-of-magnitude analysis involves estimating or rounding numbers to the nearest power of 10. For the first question, the number of breaths you will take in your lifetime can be estimated by multiplying the average number of breaths per minute by the total number of minutes in a year and then rounding it down to the nearest power of 10. However, for the second question about estimating the amount of human waste produced worldwide each year, this method may not be accurate as it may result in an incorrect answer. Similarly, for the third question about estimating the gallons of gasoline used by all automobiles in the US each year, a different approach may be needed as well. In conclusion, using order-of-magnitude analysis requires careful
kphys

Homework Statement

1. Using an order-of-magnitude analysis, estimate the number of
breathes you will take during your lifetime.

2. Use an order-of-magnitude analysis to estimate the number of short
tons of human waste produced worldwide each year. (I did not make up
this question)

3. Using an order-of-magnitude analysis, estimate the number of
gallons of gasoline used by all automobiles in the US each year.

Homework Equations

: I don't know where to start.

The Attempt at a Solution

: #1. Counted number of breath per minute. Found out how many minutes are in a year. Calculated total breaths per year by multiplying number of breath by total minutes in a year. Then used the order of magnitue by rounding the total number down. For instance, if total number of breaths in one minute was 17, i used 10, if total number of minutes in a year is 525600 minutes, i multiplied it by 100000. Then by multiplying 17 by 525600 and 10 times 100000, I subtracted the difference. and the number is greater then 10. So i said the answer was that you can't use the order of magnitude to analyze this problem.

#2. I don't know where to start on this problem.

#3. For number 3, I'm thinking that I'll have to find the total number of cars are being used. Then multiply them by an average gallon of gas each car has. Then use that order of magnitude to by rounding down like number 1.

I probably this this wrong, so if anyone can help that would be wonderful.

Physics news on Phys.org
kphys said:
So i said the answer was that you can't use the order of magnitude to analyze this problem.
Order of magnitude analysis does not mean that you can round each separate step to the power of 10. 6-4=2 which rounds to 1 in power of ten. But 6 rounds to 10, and 4 rounds to 1, 10-1 is 9 which rounds to 10. That's the wrong answer and the wrong analysis.

1. What is order-of-magnitude analysis?

Order-of-magnitude analysis is a method used in scientific research to estimate the approximate value of a quantity or variable. It involves making rough calculations and approximations to determine the scale or magnitude of a problem or solution.

2. Why is order-of-magnitude analysis important in scientific research?

Order-of-magnitude analysis allows scientists to quickly and efficiently estimate the scale or magnitude of a problem or solution without going into detailed calculations. This can be helpful in making decisions about further research or in identifying potential areas of improvement.

3. How is order-of-magnitude analysis different from other types of analysis?

Order-of-magnitude analysis differs from other types of analysis, such as quantitative or qualitative analysis, in that it focuses on estimating the scale or magnitude of a problem rather than determining an exact value. It is also less precise and relies heavily on approximations and simplifications.

4. What are some common applications of order-of-magnitude analysis?

Order-of-magnitude analysis is commonly used in scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and environmental science. It can be applied to a wide range of problems, such as estimating the energy output of a star, predicting the impact of a natural disaster, or determining the resources needed for a large-scale project.

5. How can I improve my order-of-magnitude analysis skills?

Practicing and becoming familiar with different estimation techniques and approximations can help improve order-of-magnitude analysis skills. It is also important to have a strong understanding of the relevant variables and factors in a problem to make accurate estimations. Seeking feedback and learning from experienced scientists can also be beneficial.