Order of Operations: PEMDAS & Beyond

• Thread starter C0nfused
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operations
In summary, the conversation discusses the order of operations in mathematics, specifically the acronym PEMDAS which stands for parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction. This acronym is used to determine the order in which mathematical operations should be performed, with parentheses being the first priority. The conversation also mentions the importance of distributivity and defining operations such as division and subtraction. The order of operations is a result of mathematical axioms and conventions, but can also be proved. It is important to remember that exponentials have to be evaluated before other operations, and most operations are left associative except for exponents which are right associative.
C0nfused
Hi everybody,
I want to ask some things about the order of operation. Of course I have heard and used PEMDAS! First of all i want to make this clear: we say that first we should calculate the parentheses: in order to do so we also use PEMDAS in each parenthesis to calculate it's value? I am almost sure about the answer but just want to confirm it. And the most important thing: how was the "right" order of operations decided? Is it just a convention that always gives right results in connection with the axioms that we have set for addition and multiplication? Can it be proved?
Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes,it's a direct result of the axioms.Distributivity of the multiplication towards addition is very important...Defining the division as the multiplication with the inverse,too...Defining subtraction as the addition with the oppose,too...

Could please explain the acronym??

Daniel.

Thanks for your answer. One thing that i think was not cleared: have we defined that parentheses should be calculated before anything else and that in order to calculate them ,we treat them as separate arithmetical expressions and we apply the "right"order of operations inside them too(and if they also contain parentheses we continue doing the same thing)? (Is this right? i think it is)

PEMDAS=parentheses.exponents.multiplication.division.addition.substraction!

Also know as "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sarah".
Do what ever is in (P)arentheses first (and,as was the point of this question apply "PEDMAS" inside those parentheses), the evaluate exponentials, then multiplications, then divisions. After those, evaluate addition, then subtraction.

Actually, after the parentheses, these group into two simple blocks. It really doesn't matter in which order you evaluate exponentials, multiplications, and divisions and it really doesn't matter in which order you do the additions and subtractions: as long as you do ALL of the first group before ANY of the second group. Of course, that doesn't give a cute acronym.

Thanks for your help

Exponentials do have to go first:

2^(3*4) is certainly different than (2^3)*4...

And you have to remember that most of the operations are left associative, meaning you're supposed to do them from left to right. It matters, for example, with:

1/2*3, because this means (1/2)*3, and that's different than 1/(2*3).

Similarly for subtraction:

1-2-3 means (1-2)-3 which is different than 1-(2-3)

A gotcha is that exponents are right associative: 3^4^5 means 3^(4^5), not (3^4)^5.

Exponentials do have to go first:

2^(3*4) is certainly different than (2^3)*4...

And you have to remember that most of the operations are left associative, meaning you're supposed to do them from left to right. It matters, for example, with:

1/2*3, because this means (1/2)*3, and that's different than 1/(2*3).

Similarly for subtraction:

1-2-3 means (1-2)-3 which is different than 1-(2-3)

A gotcha is that exponents are right associative: 3^4^5 means 3^(4^5), not (3^4)^5.

1. What is the meaning of PEMDAS in the order of operations?

The acronym PEMDAS stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction. It is a mnemonic device used to remember the order in which mathematical operations should be performed.

2. Why is PEMDAS important in mathematics?

PEMDAS is important because it provides a standardized way to solve mathematical expressions. Without following this order, the same expression could result in different answers, leading to confusion and incorrect solutions.

3. Are there any exceptions to the PEMDAS rule?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the PEMDAS rule. For instance, when there are multiple operations at the same level, they should be performed from left to right. Also, in some cases, parentheses can be used to override the order of operations.

4. Is PEMDAS the only order of operations used in mathematics?

No, there are other variations of the order of operations used in different countries. For example, some countries use the acronym BODMAS, which stands for Brackets, Orders, Division and Multiplication, Addition and Subtraction.

5. How can I check my work when using PEMDAS?

To check your work when using PEMDAS, you can use a calculator to perform the operations in the correct order. You can also simplify the expression step by step, making sure to follow the order of operations, and compare your final answer to the original expression to ensure they are equal.