Order parameter of charge density wave in one dimension

In summary: The order parameter of charge density wave is written as O_{CDW}(x)=\sum_s\psi_{L,s}^{\dagger}(x)\psi_{R,s}(x)For Luttinger model, the \psi is the Fermion annihilation field operator.I am not very familiar with Luttinger liquid, so I try to understand why the order parameter of CDW would be written in this form. If I try to construct an order parameter for CDW by myself, I would guess the Fourier transform of electron density will be a feature for CDW, but I don't know the periodicity of the CDW.
Yiping
In one dimensional electron gas in charge density wave phase, as I know , the density of electrons will be periodic. The order parameter of charge density wave is written as
[tex]O_{CDW}(x)=\sum_s\psi_{L,s}^{\dagger}(x)\psi_{R,s}(x)[/tex]
For Luttinger model, the \psi is the Fermion annihilation field operator.
I am not very familiar with Luttinger liquid, I try to understand why the order parameter of CDW would be written in this form. If I try to construct an order parameter for CDW by myself, I would guess the Fourier transform of electron density will be a feature for CDW, but I don't know the periodicity of the CDW. If the order parameter is correct, for CDW with any periodicity, I should find that <O_{CDW}>=1. I am not able to construct such order parameter by myself.
I can't understand why the order parameter will be the summation of
[tex]\psi_{L,s}^{\dagger}(x)\psi_{R,s}(x)[/tex]
, it seems odd for me. Creating a right-moving electron and destroy a left-moving electron?

Physics news on Phys.org
It does indeed seem odd. Are you sure the hermitian conjugate isn't present?

Yes, I copy the definition from J.Voits onedimensional fermi liquid p.1008

I try to start from the density operator [tex]\rho(q)=\sum_k c_{k-q}^{\dagger}c_k[/tex].
Then, decompose the Fermion operator[tex]c_k=\Theta(k)c_{R,k}+\Theta(-k)c_{L,k}[/tex].
Insert the relation into the density operator and expand it, I get four different kind of terms, with the same chirality or different chirality. After the Fourier transform, I think it is less odd for me.
The term[tex]c_{R,k-q}^{\dagger}c_{L,k}[/tex]seems to be the term [tex]\psi_R(x)^{\dagger}\psi_L(x)[/tex], but it is only for [tex]q\sim-2k_F[/tex].
The CDW order parameter seems to include only this kind of term. I guess it is because the Hermitian conjugate only present the term with [tex]q\sim2k_F[/tex], which just shows the same periodicity of CDW in real space.

Except that, after I expand the density operator in this way, terms with the same chirality will be [tex]\rho_R(x)+\rho_L(x)[/tex] which will not give periodicity in real space, since the momentum is "almost" conserved. So the density modulation must comes from the cross term(momentum is not conserved<>translational invariance breaks.), which shows in the original question.
Then I am confused again, does that mean the momentum transfer, q, can only be [tex]0,\pm2k_F,\pm4k_F,...\pm2^nk_F[/tex] which means in one-dimensional fermion, the allowed periodicity for CDW is restrict to be some specific value?

Last edited:

Related to Order parameter of charge density wave in one dimension

1. What is an order parameter?

An order parameter is a measure of the degree of symmetry breaking in a system. It can be used to describe phase transitions and the emergence of new states of matter.

2. What is a charge density wave?

A charge density wave is a phenomenon in which the electrons in a material self-organize into a periodic pattern, causing a modulation in the electron density. This can result in the formation of a new type of ordered state.

3. How is the order parameter of charge density wave in one dimension measured?

The order parameter of charge density wave in one dimension can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as x-ray diffraction, scanning tunneling microscopy, and transport measurements. These techniques can detect the periodicity and symmetry breaking associated with the charge density wave.

4. What factors affect the order parameter of charge density wave in one dimension?

The order parameter of charge density wave in one dimension can be affected by various factors, including temperature, pressure, and the strength of the electron-electron interactions. These factors can influence the stability and properties of the charge density wave state.

5. What are the potential applications of understanding the order parameter of charge density wave in one dimension?

Understanding the order parameter of charge density wave in one dimension can have implications for developing new materials with unique electronic and optical properties. It can also help in the design of electronic devices, such as transistors and sensors, that utilize the charge density wave state. Additionally, it can provide insights into fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and condensed matter physics.