Understanding Ordered Fields: A Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter zli034
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary: Hi zli034, :smile:May I ask why you need this? Maybe my explanation will be better if I know this.Basically, we want to generalize number system such as \mathbb{R} and \mathbb{Q}. In particular, there are some results on these systems that can be explained by means of a minimal number of axioms. Why do we do this? First, to get a better understanding of \mathbb{R} and \mathbb{Q}. Second, because there are a lot of other systems out there which also share the same properties and the theory of ordered fields will unify these systems.
zli034
Could anyone explain me the concept of Ordered Field? I have googled it, all came up are definitions I don't know how to handle. Numbers and calculations with statistical means I can understand fairly simple; but pure math has never worked for me.

Can anyone make the ordered field with simple understandable meanings?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't sweat this to much, it means the elements of the field can be put in order according to some relation.

Hi zli034, :smile:

May I ask why you need this? Maybe my explanation will be better if I know this.

Basically, we want to generalize number system such as [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex]. In particular, there are some results on these systems that can be explained by means of a minimal number of axioms. Why do we do this? First, to get a better understanding of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex]. Second, because there are a lot of other systems out there which also share the same properties and the theory of ordered fields will unify these systems.

What do we have on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex]? Well, we have an addition. This addition + satisfies following properties:
  • Associativity: [tex]a+(b+c)=(a+b)+c[/tex]
  • Neutral element: [tex]a+0=a=0+a[/tex]
  • Inverse element: [tex]a+(-a)=0=(-a)+a[/tex]
  • Commutativity: [tex]a+b=b+a[/tex]
Anything else which shares the same properties is called an abelian group. The theory of abelian groups is extremely useful and it arises everywhere!

Now, what else do we have on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex]? A multiplication of course? This satisfies:
  • Associativity: [tex]a(bc)=(ab)c[/tex]
  • Neutral element: [tex]a1=a=1a[/tex]
  • Inverse element: [tex]aa^{-1}=1=a^{-1}a[/tex] for all nonzero a.
  • Commutativity: [tex]ab=ba[/tex]
  • Distributivity: [tex]a(b+c)=ab+ac[/tex]
This is called a field. Other fields include the complex numbers. But there is something on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] that the complex numbers don't have: an order!

Basically, we have a relation [tex]\leq[/tex] that satisfies
  • Reflexivity: [tex]a\leq a[/tex]
  • Anti-symmetry: [tex]a\leq b~\text{and}~b\leq a[/tex] implies a=b
  • Transitivity: [tex]a\leq b~\text{and}~b\leq c[/tex] implies [tex]a\leq c[/tex]
This is what we call a partial order. But there order on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] satisfies some additional properties:
  • Every two elements are comparable: for all a,b we have either [tex]a\leq b[/tex] or [tex]b\leq a[/tex] (or both).
  • If [tex]a\leq b[/tex], then [tex]a+c\leq b+c[/tex]
  • If [tex]0\leq a[/tex] and [tex]0\leq b[/tex], then [tex]0\leq ab[/tex]

A structure which satisfies all these axioms is called an ordered field...

micromass said:
Hi zli034, :smile:

May I ask why you need this? Maybe my explanation will be better if I know this.

Basically, we want to generalize number system such as [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex]. In particular, there are some results on these systems that can be explained by means of a minimal number of axioms. Why do we do this? First, to get a better understanding of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex]. Second, because there are a lot of other systems out there which also share the same properties and the theory of ordered fields will unify these systems.

What do we have on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex]? Well, we have an addition. This addition + satisfies following properties:
  • Associativity: [tex]a+(b+c)=(a+b)+c[/tex]
  • Neutral element: [tex]a+0=a=0+a[/tex]
  • Inverse element: [tex]a+(-a)=0=(-a)+a[/tex]
  • Commutativity: [tex]a+b=b+a[/tex]
Anything else which shares the same properties is called an abelian group. The theory of abelian groups is extremely useful and it arises everywhere!

Now, what else do we have on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex]? A multiplication of course? This satisfies:
  • Associativity: [tex]a(bc)=(ab)c[/tex]
  • Neutral element: [tex]a1=a=1a[/tex]
  • Inverse element: [tex]aa^{-1}=1=a^{-1}a[/tex] for all nonzero a.
  • Commutativity: [tex]ab=ba[/tex]
  • Distributivity: [tex]a(b+c)=ab+ac[/tex]
This is called a field. Other fields include the complex numbers. But there is something on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] that the complex numbers don't have: an order!

Basically, we have a relation [tex]\leq[/tex] that satisfies
  • Reflexivity: [tex]a\leq a[/tex]
  • Anti-symmetry: [tex]a\leq b~\text{and}~b\leq a[/tex] implies a=b
  • Transitivity: [tex]a\leq b~\text{and}~b\leq c[/tex] implies [tex]a\leq c[/tex]
This is what we call a partial order. But there order on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] satisfies some additional properties:
  • Every two elements are comparable: for all a,b we have either [tex]a\leq b[/tex] or [tex]b\leq a[/tex] (or both).
  • If [tex]a\leq b[/tex], then [tex]a+c\leq b+c[/tex]
  • If [tex]0\leq a[/tex] and [tex]0\leq b[/tex], then [tex]0\leq ab[/tex]

A structure which satisfies all these axioms is called an ordered field...

I believe that sqrt[a+bi*a-bi] forms a partial order on C with all complex numbers having the same magnitude parceled into and ordered set of equivalence classes.

It may not have a total order as do the reals.

Well, of course the complex numbers have an order. Every set has an order :smile:
The complex numbers also have a total order, as does every set.

But it doesn't have an order which makes it into an ordered field. I should have been more clear on that...

How cool is that!

I counted there are 4 addition properties, 5 multiplication properties.

Let's call the order, 10th property.

I would like to continue this Question & Answer because the new confusions.

From the book I'm reading that set Q is an Archimedean Ordered Field. However set R of real number will obey all the axioms for Archimedean Ordered Field together with one more axiom, called the Completeness Axiom, which is not satisfied by Q.

Q is a subset of R, why is it the thing assumed in R is not satisfied by Q?

xxxx0xxxx said:
I believe that sqrt[a+bi*a-bi] forms a partial order on C with all complex numbers having the same magnitude parceled into and ordered set of equivalence classes.

It may not have a total order as do the reals.
Aside: after fixing your parentheses... that isn't a partial ordering; that is a (total) pre-ordering.

zli034 said:
I would like to continue this Question & Answer because the new confusions.

From the book I'm reading that set Q is an Archimedean Ordered Field. However set R of real number will obey all the axioms for Archimedean Ordered Field together with one more axiom, called the Completeness Axiom, which is not satisfied by Q.

Q is a subset of R, why is it the thing assumed in R is not satisfied by Q?

Firstly, a subset does not necessarily have all of the same properties as any of its supersets, so it's perfectly reasonable that a subset of R would not satisfy the Completeness Axiom.

Consider [itex]\{x\in \mathbb{Q}: x\leq \sqrt{2}\}[/itex]. Is there a least upperbound for this set in Q? No, because Q is dense in R.

What is an ordered field?

An ordered field is a mathematical structure that combines the properties of a field (a set of numbers with operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) and an order relation (a way to compare numbers). It allows for the ordering of numbers based on their magnitude and also allows for arithmetic operations to be performed on them.

What are the properties of an ordered field?

An ordered field must have the following properties: closure under addition and multiplication (the result of adding or multiplying two numbers in the field must also be in the field), commutativity and associativity of addition and multiplication, existence of additive and multiplicative identities, existence of additive and multiplicative inverses (except for 0), distributivity of multiplication over addition, and the trichotomy property (any two elements in the field can be compared and are either equal, greater than, or less than each other).

How is an ordered field different from a non-ordered field?

An ordered field differs from a non-ordered field in that it has an additional property of an order relation. This allows for the comparison of numbers and the establishment of a hierarchy based on their magnitude. In a non-ordered field, there is no way to determine which of two elements is greater or less than the other.

What is the significance of an ordered field in mathematics?

The concept of an ordered field is important in mathematics because it provides a structure for numbers to be ordered and compared, as well as allowing for the performance of arithmetic operations on them. This is essential in many branches of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and number theory.

Are there any real-life applications of ordered fields?

Yes, ordered fields have various real-life applications in fields such as economics, engineering, and physics. For example, in economics, the concept of utility theory uses ordered fields to rank preferences of individuals based on their choices. In engineering, ordered fields are used in optimization problems to determine the most efficient design. In physics, ordered fields are used to compare the magnitudes of physical quantities such as force and energy.