Ordinary Differential Equation

In summary: I misunderstood. Thanks for clearing that up.Ah, apologies. I misunderstood. Thanks for clearing that up.
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

Homework Statement

Solve [tex] \frac{dz}{dt} + 3 t e^{t+z} = 0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

None that I can think of...

The Attempt at a Solution

"Rearranging" the given question, we get:

[tex] \int \frac{dz}{e^z} = -3\int t e^t dt [/tex]

[tex] -e^{-z} = -3 \left( t e^t - e^t \right) + C [/tex]
[tex] e^{-z} = 3 \left( t e^t - e^t \right) + C [/tex]
[tex] z = - ln \left( 3 t e^t - 3 e^t + C \right) [/tex]

Is this all correct? The system into which I need to enter this answer is saying I am wrong :(

Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:

Homework Statement

Homework Statement

Solve [tex] \frac{dz}{dt} + 3 t e^{t+z} = 0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

None that I can think of...

The Attempt at a Solution

"Rearranging" the given question, we get:

[tex] \int \frac{dz}{e^z} = -3\int t e^t dt [/tex]

[tex] -e^{-z} = -3 \left( t e^t - e^t \right) + C [/tex]
[tex] e^{-z} = 3 \left( t e^t - e^t \right) + C [/tex]
[tex] z = - ln \left( 3 t e^t - 3 e^t + C \right) [/tex]

Is this all correct? The system into which I need to enter this answer is saying I am wrong :(

Maybe it does not like the '-' sign; have you tried entering
[tex] \ln \left( \frac{1}{3 t e^t - 3 e^t + C}\right)?[/tex]

Ray Vickson said:
Maybe it does not like the '-' sign; have you tried entering
[tex] \ln \left( \frac{1}{3 t e^t - 3 e^t + C}\right)?[/tex]

Let's hope its that... I only get one more shot :(

I think you have to take the natural log of each part individually. [tex]lne^{-z}=ln3te^t-ln3e^t+lnc[/tex] that would give [tex]z=-ln3te^t+ln3e^t+lnc[/tex] Which simplifies to [tex]z=ln({\frac{c3e^t}{3te^t})}[/tex]

Jesse H. said:
I think you have to take the natural log of each part individually. [tex]lne^{-z}=ln3te^t-ln3e^t+lnc[/tex] that would give [tex]z=-ln3te^t+ln3e^t+lnc[/tex] Which simplifies to [tex]z=ln({\frac{c3e^t}{3te^t})}[/tex]

No, you cannot do that. The answer I gave in my previous post was the one that Maple gave as the solution to the DE. The OP's workings were perfectly correct, as was the answer he gave.

Ray Vickson said:
No, you cannot do that. The answer I gave in my previous post was the one that Maple gave as the solution to the DE. The OP's workings were perfectly correct, as was the answer he gave.

Ah, apologies.

1. What is an Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE)?

An Ordinary Differential Equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time. It involves a function, its derivatives, and one or more independent variables. ODEs are used to model various physical, biological, and economic systems.

2. What is the difference between an Ordinary Differential Equation and a Partial Differential Equation?

The main difference between an Ordinary Differential Equation and a Partial Differential Equation is the number of independent variables. ODEs involve only one independent variable, while PDEs involve more than one independent variable. This means that the solution to an ODE is a function of one variable, whereas the solution to a PDE is a function of multiple variables.

3. What are some real-life applications of Ordinary Differential Equations?

Ordinary Differential Equations have many real-life applications, including predicting population growth, modeling the spread of diseases, and studying chemical reactions. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology.

4. How are Ordinary Differential Equations solved?

There are various methods for solving Ordinary Differential Equations, depending on the specific equation and its properties. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas for certain types of equations. Advanced numerical methods, such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods, can also be used to approximate solutions for more complex ODEs.

5. What is the importance of Ordinary Differential Equations in science?

Ordinary Differential Equations play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of various systems in science. They provide a mathematical framework for modeling and analyzing complex physical phenomena, making it possible to make predictions and design experiments. ODEs are also used to study the stability and behavior of systems over time, making them an essential tool for scientists in many fields.