Ordinary differential equations with boat

In summary, In response to a question, a boat with mass is traveling with a velocity. The power is turned off at t=0 and the only force on the boat is the resistance. The equation for v is found by integrating v (with respect to t) and solving for distance as a function of t.
Anabelle37
Question:
A boat of mass m is traveling with the velocity v0. At t=0 the power is shut off. Assuming water resistance proportional to v^n, where n is a constant and v is the instantaneous velocity, find v as a function of the distance travelled. (Note that you need to consider the two cases).

I'm having trouble setting the problem up. Do I need to have a force balance equation? What would it be as the one I originally thought of doesn't make much sense: mdv/dt=v0 - kv^n.

Please help asap!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
After the power is shut off, the only force on the boat is the resistance, so your equation is m*dv/dt = -kvn. v0 is the velocity at time t = 0: it's the initial condition.

Ok, thanks heaps.
How do I solve for v(x) not v(t)??

I've started:
dv/dt= -(k/m)v^n
dv/dt= -av^n where a =k/m
integral (1/v^n) dv = intgeral (-a) dt
(v^(-n+1))/-n+1= -at + c
?

Or you could just attach a lightweight floating plumb line, such as polypropylene, paying it out for about three minutes until it comes to rest, and backwards solve...

Sorry for the intrustion, folks. I've been out of academia and in the real world way too long. I'll let you be.

I would ask you, though, if you'd like some ideas on how to model situations so as to obtain data required for parameterized equations required for backsolving solutions, I'd be happy to work with you. I'm sort of interested in getting back into anything having to do with Dffy-Q's - it was the only higher math class in college I in which I earned a solid A.

As for the physical situations upon which they're based, I've experienced them in droves, and on many different scales, from micro-robotics to aerial transport.

Anabelle37 said:
Ok, thanks heaps.
How do I solve for v(x) not v(t)??
Why do you think you want v(x)? Velocity is usually in terms of time, not distance.
Anabelle37 said:
I've started:
dv/dt= -(k/m)v^n
dv/dt= -av^n where a =k/m
integral (1/v^n) dv = intgeral (-a) dt
(v^(-n+1))/-n+1= -at + c
?
So v^(-n + 1) = (n - 1)(at - c'), where c' = -c

To solve for v, raise each side to the power 1/(1 - n).

Ok thanks heaps.
"Why do you think you want v(x)? Velocity is usually in terms of time, not distance."[/I-mark
Because the question says find v as a function of the distance travelled?

Sorry, I overlooked that piece of information.

I think this would work - You have v as a function of t. If you integrate v (with respect to t) you get distance as a function of t. From v = v(t) and s = s(t), you should be able to solve algebraically for v as a function of distance.

1. What is an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

An ordinary differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model situations in which the rate of change of a variable is dependent on the current value of that variable.

2. How are ordinary differential equations used in boating?

ODEs are commonly used in boating to model the movement of a boat through water. They can be used to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the boat at any given time, taking into account factors such as wind, currents, and friction.

3. What is the order of an ordinary differential equation?

The order of an ODE is the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, if the equation contains only first derivatives, it is a first-order ODE. If it contains second derivatives, it is a second-order ODE.

4. How are ordinary differential equations solved?

ODEs can be solved using a variety of methods, including analytical methods, numerical methods, and computer simulations. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy.

5. What are some real-life applications of ordinary differential equations with boat?

ODEs with boat have many real-life applications, including predicting the motion of boats in water, designing and optimizing boat hulls for better performance, and calculating the forces and stresses on various boat components. They are also used in weather prediction models to simulate the movement of boats in different weather conditions.