Orientation Q: Plane Wave Propagation in Air

• Thread starter WolfOfTheSteps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orientation
In summary, the problem states that a 150MHz sinusoidal plane wave is traveling in air at a 30 degree angle with respect to the +x-axis in the x-y plane. The E-Field is polarized parallel to the plane of incidence and has a magnitude of 2 V/m. The question asks about the appropriate orientation, but there is not enough information given to determine an exact orientation. However, based on the usual representation of angles (counterclockwise starting from the +x axis), it would make sense to choose 30 degrees north of east.
WolfOfTheSteps

Homework Statement

A 150MHz sinusoidal plane wave propagates in air at 30 degrees with respect to the +x-axis in the x-y plane. The E-Field is polarized parallel to the plane of incidence and has a magnitude of 2 V/m.

The Attempt at a Solution

My only question is about the orientation. I can't figure out how to draw the picture! Click on the image below to see what I have now. Is one of these orientations correct?

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/4291/questionspicex7.th.jpg Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
there isn't anything given in the question to indicate that.

but because of the normal way we choose to represent the angles (CCW starting from the +x axis) I would choose to fo 30 degrees N of E

Thank you for your question. The orientation of the wave in the image you provided is not correct. The correct orientation for a 150MHz plane wave propagating in air at 30 degrees with respect to the +x-axis in the x-y plane would be a wave traveling in the direction of the +x-axis, with the electric field vector pointing in the direction of the +y-axis. This can be represented by a vector diagram, where the electric field vector is shown as a line perpendicular to the direction of propagation. I have provided a diagram below for reference.

I hope this helps to clarify the orientation of the wave. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is plane wave propagation?

Plane wave propagation is a type of wave motion where the energy travels in a straight line, without any change in direction or intensity. It is characterized by a constant phase and amplitude, making it a mathematical idealization rather than a physical reality.

2. How does plane wave propagation occur in air?

In air, plane wave propagation occurs when a disturbance in the air molecules causes a wave to travel in a straight line. This can be seen in sound waves, where the air molecules vibrate back and forth in a direction parallel to the wave's movement.

3. What factors can affect plane wave propagation in air?

Several factors can affect plane wave propagation in air, including the medium's physical properties (such as density and temperature), the frequency and wavelength of the wave, and any obstacles or barriers in the wave's path.

4. How is plane wave propagation in air different from other types of wave propagation?

Plane wave propagation in air differs from other types of wave propagation in that it is an idealized form of wave motion that does not occur in nature. Other types of wave propagation, such as spherical or cylindrical waves, involve changes in direction and intensity as they travel through a medium.

5. What are some real-world applications of plane wave propagation in air?

Plane wave propagation in air has many practical applications, such as in acoustics, radio communications, and radar technology. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of sound and light waves in the atmosphere and can help predict and mitigate the effects of noise pollution and interference.