Origin of PF

1. How and when did these forums come into being? Are they run by a company, or individuals? Is it a hobby or business?

2. jcsd
  3. Evo

Staff: Mentor

PF is owned by an individual. It was a high school project a few years ago, that took off.

Greg runs the forum and keeps everyone in line. I'd say it's an avocation.

4. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,529
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IIRC, PF began in 2001. One day while cleaning out old files, I found the email from Greg inviting people to join his new forum.

5. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It started out as an extra-credit project to help Greg pass his high school physics class! Now it's helping countless others pass their high school and university classes in all the math and science subjects! I agree with Evo, I think avocation is a good way to describe it. It's certainly more than just a hobby, but it's also not a business.

6. I seem to recall some hints that PF didn't were a vBulletin from the start? Or at least not in the shape it is currently in?

7. Should we make a 'sticky' on the History of PF? :biggrin:

8. Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I like the version which took place in a dark, seedy bar in a back alley, in a dangerous part of town, at 2 am. The fog had rolled in . . . There was a flash of lightning . . . . a howling in the mist . . .

Well, OK maybe it didn't happen that way, but it could have. :rolleyes:

9. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,529
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11/19/2001

What I have never understood is how he got my email address. :uhh:

10. Lisa!

Lisa! 990
    Gold Member

When's PF birthday? And who were the 1st PFers?:shy: Is it something around 11/19/2001?

11. Gokul43201

Gokul43201 11,141
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Feb 07, 2001, according to this: [link retracted]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  12. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,529
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Greg, Phobos, Kerrie, Integral, Zero, Janus, Monique, Tom, Enigma, and Hurkyl, were all some of the first mentors, I think.

13. Edited so that Greg can be safe. :biggrin:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  14. "A place for advanced teen physicists to discuss any topic of physics other science/math issues."

:mad: TEENS??? I'm insulted! :mad:

15. No one created PF, that's silly. It evolved from single-cellular protoforumoids over millions of years. Look at the HTML code, many genes are identical to those in other closely related vbulletins, some of which are still alive today. Others were fossilized.

16. Is it advanced-teen physicists or advanced teen-physicists? :D

Btw, isn't that site giving away a little too much info. Like the add, phone# etc?

17. Gokul43201

Gokul43201 11,141
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To be safe, I retracted the link.

18. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,529
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also, there was Sting.

Until Integral said something, I didn't realize that Sting was one of the original Mentors.

19. Lisa!

Lisa! 990
    Gold Member

Thanks for the inf!:smile:

You mean most of the mentors were the 1st PF'ers? Now the question is that when and how they found PF. :blushing:

20. Integral

Integral 7,345
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I stumbled on to the site in Dec of 01 (That seems about right??) Just after the advent of PF2. At that point the top posters only had a few hundred posts. After about a month of posting Greg sent me an invite to be a Mentor. At that point in time there were not many degreed members. If the forums were then, at the state they are now, I would never even have been noticed.

Tom, showed up in Jan or Feb of 02 (I may be off a year on all of this!) by Mar he was invited to be a mentor. After that it is a blur. We restarted post counts in Mar 03 when the forms transitioned to Vbulletin software.

Janus and Monique (She went by a different handle in those days) other early mentors were Zero, Kerrie, and Sting (as Ivan mentioned). I know that there were a couple more, but I cannot recall the names at this time.

21. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know if that's true anymore. We'd have to do a head count to check. There's a group of us who are fairly new as mentors who have been invited to replace "retiring" mentors, or to provide additional support in active forums where more mentors were needed to keep up with the sheer volume of posts (or both). Those of us who are newest are Zz, Loseyourname, SpaceTiger, Vanesch and myself. I don't know when Evo joined up...something tells me she got assigned the GD and P&WA mentorship when everyone else took 2 steps backward as Greg asked for a volunteer to step forward after Zero just up and disappeared on us. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?