1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonal Projection Matrix

1. Jun 8, 2006 #1
    After 10 years of teaching middle school, I am going back to grad school in math. I haven't seen Linear Algebra in more than a decade, but my first class is on Generalized Inverses of Matrices (what am I thinking?). I have a general "rememberance" understanding of most of the concepts we're discussing, but I get lost on where to start with proofs and such (teaching at such a low level for so long has really rotted my brain).

Anyway, we were asked to find the orthogonal projection matrix from R^3 to the xy-plane. I understand geometrically what we're being asked to do, but I do not know where to start. If anyone could give me an idea, that would be great.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Projection to the xy-plane" just "loses" the z coordinate: that is the point (x,y,z) (or vector xi+ yj+ zk) is mapped to (x, y, 0) (respectively, the vector xi+ yj).

Here's generally, how to determine what matrix corresponds to a linear transformation: what does the transformation do to each basis vector?

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}a&b&c\\d&e&f\\g&h&i\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}1\\0\\0\end{array}\right)= \left(\begin{array}{c}a\\d\\g\end{array}\right)[/tex]

That is, multiplying matrix by i just gives the first column. What does multiplying a matrix by j and k give?

Now, "projection onto the xy-plane" changes i to i, j to j, and k to 0. What are the columns of the matrix?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?