Extra Dimensions & Forces: Ask Spencer for Help

• Thread starter Enceph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of extra dimensions in theories such as relativity and string theory to explain physical phenomena such as gravity, electromagnetism, and parallel universes. The question is posed if these extra dimensions could also be responsible for the strong and weak forces. There is also mention of the possibility of the existence of a pervasive substance or backdrop-space that can explain these phenomena. The conversation ends with confusion and a desire for clarification on the topic of dimensions.
Enceph
Ok I know that relativity used a fourth dimension to explain gravity. I figured string theory forums would be a place to start for my question.

Has there ever been a theory or evidence that made use of extra dimensions being the reason behind strong, weak and EM forces? I just don't feel like using a search engine when I can make you guys help. :devil:

Thanks guys.
-Spencer

Physics news on Phys.org
I was wondering about this too.

Its said string theory needs 6 extra dimensions for degrees of freedom. Could these be forces? Totting it up I thought prehaps we get space (x, y, z), time, electric, magnetic (perpendicular to electric? Not so sure about this one), strong, weak, gravity, spin and/or quintessence (instead of magnetic)

Is this barking up the wrong tree? Inquiring minds would liek to know :D

alt

In short, can dimensions and an all-pervasive substance explain all physical phenom such as by 'projecting' particles and forces by it's interaction with itself. I'm referring to the actual pervasive backdrop-space, or maybe aether; either-being physical. I am trying to think of alternate theories; I wanted to know about dimensions so I posted here.
-Spencer :rofl:

Last edited:
In my thoughts

x, y & z are three dimensions

gravity is the forth dimension

electro-magnetism is a fifth dimension

wormholes are the 6th dimension. (wormholes are bridges or tunnels that can link distant regions of space, ie cosmic shortcuts which are created by rips in spatial fabric, which is ether isn't it? in which these rips are inside extruded 'strings', these strings of bubble surround the tear acting as a protective shield. So strings make it possible for space to rip).

Time which is related to gravity is probably another.

we live on a membrane that floats in a higher dimension of space alongside parallel universes.

Heh. . . nevermind. I'm confused.

1. What are extra dimensions?

Extra dimensions are hypothetical spatial dimensions beyond the three dimensions (length, width, and height) that we experience in our everyday lives. These dimensions are theorized to exist in addition to the three dimensions we are familiar with, and may be invisible or too small to observe directly.

2. How many extra dimensions are there?

The number of extra dimensions is currently unknown and is a topic of ongoing research in theoretical physics. Some theories suggest there may be 10 or more dimensions, while others propose the existence of only one extra dimension.

3. What is the purpose of extra dimensions?

The purpose of extra dimensions is still being explored and debated by scientists. Some theories suggest that they may help explain certain phenomena, such as gravity, that cannot be fully explained by our current understanding of the universe. Others propose that extra dimensions may be necessary for unifying the four fundamental forces of nature.

4. How do extra dimensions affect our daily lives?

Since extra dimensions are currently only a theoretical concept, they do not have a direct impact on our daily lives. However, understanding the potential existence and properties of extra dimensions may lead to advancements in technology and a deeper understanding of the fundamental workings of the universe.

5. Can extra dimensions be proven or observed?

At this time, there is no experimental evidence that definitively proves the existence of extra dimensions. However, some theories suggest that they may manifest in certain phenomena, such as the behavior of gravity at very small scales. Scientists continue to search for ways to detect and observe extra dimensions, but it remains a challenging and ongoing area of research.