Other programs like this

• Thread starter colonelcrayon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programs
In summary, there are many other programs similar to this one that offer expert summarization services. These programs are designed to quickly and accurately summarize large amounts of content, making it easier for users to digest and understand important information. They use advanced algorithms and natural language processing techniques to identify key points and provide a concise summary that captures the main ideas and themes of the original content. These programs are useful for a variety of purposes, such as research, studying, and even content creation. Overall, they offer a valuable tool for anyone looking to quickly and efficiently summarize large amounts of information.
colonelcrayon
Okay, I'm a high school junior looking at colleges for my undergrad degree. I am passionate about mathematics and also interested in physics and chemistry. I originally assumed that engineering would be the right field for me, but I'm not so sure now. I've talked to engineers in the family, and the design end of engineering isn't interesting to me at all (nor am I particularly good at it). So, now I'm thinking that a degree in applied(?) mathematics or maybe chemistry or physics is the right idea. I'd like to go to grad school anyway.

A little research on the subject led me to the http://www.scienceone.ubc.ca/home/" program at the University of British Columbia. This sounds perfect to me: a small, accelerated program covering all of the major sciences at once for the first year, but still contained inside a large university with the ability to choose a normal major second year.

Which brings me to my question: are there any other programs like this? Here are the characteristics that I find attractive:

- small (for 1st year) classes covering a broad range of fields at a fast pace
- working together with the same group of motivated students in all classes
- the ability to go back to the regular program and specialize after 1st year

Are there any similar programs at other universities in Canada and the northern United States?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sigh... I'm just having trouble figuring things out. Most of the engineers in my family are mechanical majors, so that's what I've been hearing about that doesn't appeal to me. I just looked at some EE courses on MIT OpenCourseWare, and while it's way over my head it looked more like my kind of thing.

The troublesome part is that I just love mathematical proofs. The induction required is really fun for me; do you think I would get the same feeling from EE or engineering physics? Perhaps I could major in engineering but take a bunch of pure math courses for fun...

The Engineering Science program at the University of Toronto is another idea that interests me. I hear that they take rigorous classes with a theoretical bent. Maybe that would work...?

*bump*

EngSci looks good, except that I might fail Praxis...

Most first year science programs are pretty general and allow you to move in any direction in your upper years (most students don't know what they want to do until their final years). I started in a general science program taking first year Chem, Bio, Physics, Calculus, and an arts course. I then went on to specialize in math.

Engineering programs that I have seen do not give you the room to take other courses like getting a BSc in math would. Even so, first year is still very general.

I have heard that it's easier to go from engineering to math/science than the other way around, which would be an argument in favor of taking a broad, math-heavy engineering course initially. Does that sound right?

The University of Washington has a program called http://fyp.washington.edu/programs/learning.php" . The program groups students together who have common interests, but maybe aren't ready to declare a specific major.

When I was there, they didn't have these yet but I've heard good things about them (especially that class registration is a lot simpler).

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Interesting, but not broad enough. I want a full program of study.

Do you have any preference regarding where you end up attending (e.g., which country)?

lisab said:
Do you have any preference regarding where you end up attending (e.g., which country)?
I am fine with both the US and Canada. However, I would prefer to stay up north (I don't like heat). Probably from the brightest lime green on up on this map.

I prefer large, public schools but will happily accept recommendations of other institutions as well.

What other programs are similar to this one?

There are many programs that are similar to this one, as there are a variety of scientific fields and research areas. Some examples include programs for data analysis, statistical software, and laboratory equipment control.

How do these programs compare to each other?

The comparison between programs will depend on specific features and capabilities. Some may have more advanced tools or a user-friendly interface, while others may be more specialized for a certain type of analysis or experiment. It is important to research and test out different programs to determine which best fits your needs.

Are there any free alternatives to this program?

Yes, there are many open-source or free programs available that offer similar functionalities. However, the level of support and updates may vary compared to paid programs. It is important to evaluate the cost-benefit of using a free alternative.

Can these programs be used in all scientific fields?

The use of programs will vary depending on the specific field and research question. Some programs may be more applicable for biological research, while others may be more suitable for physics or chemistry experiments. It is important to choose a program that aligns with your research goals and methods.

What additional features or capabilities do these programs offer?

Each program will have its own unique set of features and capabilities. Some may offer advanced visualization tools, data storage and management options, or integration with other software. It is important to research and compare different programs to find the one that best meets your needs.