Out-sourcing customer service sucks

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, the customer had trouble adding air-time to their wife's TracFone due to difficulties with the automated add air-time function and customer service. The customer was frustrated with the language barrier and the time it took to resolve the issue. They also mentioned previous experiences with similar problems and their opinion on outsourced customer service.
turbo
Gold Member
I bought an air-time card to recharge my wife's TracFone, at the local WalMart. The card refused to load when I used the phone's menu. It also was rejected by TracFone's automated add air-time function. Finally, I got a human who did not speak English properly. I would give her the serial number of the phone and the PIN of the card, and she would insist on "verifying" each number, and couldn't pronounce the names of the numbers well enough for me to agree that her "verification" was accurate. It took me over 1/2 hour to add minutes to my wife's phone.

I realize that foreigners work for less money than domestic workers, but really! What do you save if a task that should take a couple of minutes tops takes 1/2 hour and leaves your customer ticked enough to consider tossing the phone in the trash? BTW, this is not the first time that this has happened. The last time I tried adding air-time, I went through the same run-around and hassle with customer-service with NO English skills. I speak very clearly, and with a non-accent that former customers have compared to US newscasters. I can't help but wondering what hell someone from central Alabama or east Kentucky might go through.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not generally have much trouble with this. The only issue I have is that many of these people apparently work on some sort of commission or quota system and will try so hard to sign you up for something that you have to hang up on them or you will never get away. But I think that is general and not just outsourced customer service.

turbo-1 said:
I realize that foreigners work for less money than domestic workers, but really! What do you save if a task that should take a couple of minutes tops takes 1/2 hour and leaves your customer ticked enough to consider tossing the phone in the trash? BTW, this is not the first time that this has happened. The last time I tried adding air-time, I went through the same run-around and hassle with customer-service with NO English skills. I speak very clearly, and with a non-accent that former customers have compared to US newscasters. I can't help but wondering what hell someone from central Alabama or east Kentucky might go through.

up yours, chowderhead

It probably would have been quicker to just hang up and try again.

I understand your frustration with the customer service experience you described. While outsourcing can be a cost-effective business strategy, it is important for companies to ensure that their outsourced employees are properly trained and equipped to provide efficient and effective customer service.

In this case, it seems that the outsourced employee may not have been adequately trained in handling customer inquiries and may have faced language barriers that hindered the resolution of your issue. This not only reflects poorly on the company's customer service standards but also creates a negative experience for the customer, potentially leading to loss of business.

It is crucial for companies to invest in proper training and support for their outsourced employees to ensure that they are able to provide quality customer service. This includes not only language proficiency but also knowledge of the products and services they are representing.

In your case, I would suggest reaching out to TracFone and providing feedback on your experience. This can help them identify areas for improvement and ensure that future customer service interactions are more efficient and satisfactory. As a customer, it is important to voice your concerns and hold companies accountable for their service standards.

Overall, outsourcing can be a valuable strategy for businesses, but it is essential for them to prioritize the quality of customer service and ensure that their outsourced employees are equipped to provide it.

1. Why is outsourcing customer service considered a bad practice?

Outsourcing customer service is considered a bad practice because it often leads to a decline in the quality of customer service. This is because outsourced agents may have limited knowledge about the company's products or services and may not be able to provide personalized solutions to customers' problems. Additionally, language barriers and cultural differences can also hinder effective communication and customer satisfaction.

2. What are the potential risks of outsourcing customer service?

The potential risks of outsourcing customer service include a lack of control over the quality of service provided, data security concerns, and a negative impact on the company's reputation. Outsourcing may also result in higher costs in the long run due to hidden fees and the need for additional training and supervision of outsourced agents.

3. Are there any benefits of outsourcing customer service?

While outsourcing customer service is generally considered a bad practice, there are some potential benefits. These include cost savings for the company, especially if the outsourced agents are located in a country with a lower cost of living. Outsourcing can also allow the company to focus on its core business functions instead of investing resources in training and managing customer service agents.

4. How can a company mitigate the negative effects of outsourcing customer service?

To mitigate the negative effects of outsourcing customer service, a company can carefully select a reputable outsourcing provider and clearly communicate their expectations and standards. It is also important to provide thorough training and support to outsourced agents and regularly monitor their performance. Maintaining open communication and addressing any issues promptly can also help mitigate potential risks.

5. Is there a better alternative to outsourcing customer service?

While outsourcing customer service may seem like a cost-effective solution, there are alternative options that can provide better results. These include investing in in-house customer service training and hiring local agents who are knowledgeable about the company's products and services. This can lead to better customer satisfaction and a stronger brand reputation in the long run.