Are the Outer Bands of Galaxies Moving Faster Than the Speed of Light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speed of outer bands of galaxies and whether they are moving at or faster than the speed of light. It also considers the speed of space expansion and the movement of planets and galaxies. The conclusion is that while velocities can be added, they will always result in a value less than the speed of light in our relativistic world.
DaddyJax
I am wondering about the speed of the outer bands of galaxies and if they are moving at or faster than the speed of light?

And then the thought of the speed of space expansion and and the body of the galaxy moving and the rotation of planets around the stars(solar system) and the spin of the planets themselves. If these were all to move in the same direction at the same time, how fast would that be (if you were on the planet)? Got to be moving faster than the speed of light.

Or does the proximity of mass negate these?

Particles in the accelerator at just below the speed of light only adding the rotation of the Earth would qualify, right?

Space news on Phys.org
DaddyJax said:
I am wondering about the speed of the outer bands of galaxies and if they are moving at or faster than the speed of light?
what? No. They're moving quite slow indeed. Our galaxy takes more than 230 million years to complete one rotation.[/QUOTE]

DaddyJax said:
And then the thought of the speed of space expansion and and the body of the galaxy moving and the rotation of planets around the stars(solar system) and the spin of the planets themselves. If these were all to move in the same direction at the same time, how fast would that be (if you were on the planet)? Got to be moving faster than the speed of light.
No. Nowhere near.

Also, speeds are only meaningful when relative to point of reference. From the PoR of a rogue planet speeding through intergalactic space at .9c, our galaxy is indeed moving at .9c.

Thank you for the response!

Due to the size of the galaxy and the distance covered on the outer bands I wasnt sure.

I was thinking about the speed of everything included like the ride at Disney with the tea cups or at the carnival. The tea cup spins and it is on a disc that spins and it is on an even larger disc that spins and when you reach the outside of all three you are really moving!

DaddyJax said:
I was thinking about the speed of everything included like the ride at Disney with the tea cups or at the carnival. The tea cup spins and it is on a disc that spins and it is on an even larger disc that spins and when you reach the outside of all three you are really moving!
I know.

The simplest model for this is a rocket flying along at .9c that fires a missile at .2c.

Does the missile travel at 1.1c? No.

Velocity at relativistic speeds is not linear, it uses what's called the Lorentz transform. The addition of two velocities will always result in a value less than c.

The missile's velocity (from an external point of view) will be somewhere between .9c and c (not inclusive).

So would a person who is running at 15mph on a conveyor belt that is moving at 15mph only be traveling at 15mph or 30mph?

DaddyJax said:
So would a person who is running at 15mph on a conveyor belt that is moving at 15mph only be traveling at 15mph or 30mph?
From what frame of reference?

Obviously, from the FoR of someone stationary wrt the road on which a pickup carrying the treadmiill is driving - but it is important that we define what FoR we are using.

If we use the correct Lorentz transform then the speed of the walker would be a vanishingly small smidge less than 30mph.

I guess for this I am thinking about space and the point being a stationary position in space (allowing for the expansion) and watching a galaxy go by and rotating. If I was to measure the distance covered by a planet orbiting a star on tip of an outer band of a galaxy from that stationary position would that speed exceed the speed of light?

DaddyJax said:
I guess for this I am thinking about space and the point being a stationary position in space (allowing for the expansion) and watching a galaxy go by and rotating. If I was to measure the distance covered by a planet orbiting a star on tip of an outer band of a galaxy from that stationary position would that speed exceed the speed of light?

Not even close. I doubt it would be any significant portion of c.

DaddyJax said:

No but let's grant that you do manage to find the right combination of snowball thrown from a moving train on a planet orbiting clockwise while going around its clockwise.

You will not ever measure the other object as moving faster than c. Your measurement will always be a fraction of c. This is how velocity addition works in our relativistic world.

Thank you for your responses!

Moderator's note: I have removed posts I consider not relevant to this thread, as well as responses to them.

What are the outer bands of galaxies and how fast do they move?

The outer bands of galaxies are the regions located at the edge of a galaxy, beyond the main body of stars and gas. These bands are also known as the halo or outskirts of a galaxy. The speed at which the outer bands of galaxies move depends on the mass of the galaxy and its environment. On average, the outer bands of galaxies move at speeds of tens of kilometers per second.

Why do the outer bands of galaxies move at different speeds?

The outer bands of galaxies move at different speeds due to a variety of factors, such as the gravitational pull of nearby galaxies, dark matter distribution within the galaxy, and interactions with intergalactic gas and dust. These factors can cause variations in the speed of the outer bands of galaxies within a single galaxy or between different galaxies.

Do all galaxies have outer bands and do they all move at the same speed?

Yes, all galaxies have outer bands, although their size and composition may vary. Some galaxies have very small or faint outer bands, while others have large and prominent ones. The speed at which these outer bands move can also vary depending on the factors mentioned previously, such as galaxy mass and environment.

How do scientists study the speed of outer bands of galaxies?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study the speed of outer bands of galaxies. One common method is to measure the Doppler shift of light emitted by stars and gas in the outer bands. This shift in wavelength can provide information about the speed and direction of motion of the outer bands. Other techniques include studying the distribution of dark matter and using computer simulations to model the movement of the outer bands.

What implications do the speeds of outer bands of galaxies have on our understanding of the universe?

The speed of outer bands of galaxies can provide valuable insights into the structure and evolution of the universe. By studying the movement of these bands, scientists can gain a better understanding of the distribution of matter and dark matter in the universe, as well as the processes that shape the formation and growth of galaxies. This information can help us refine our current theories and models of the universe and its evolution.