Proving the Monotonicity of Outer Measures: A Simple Task or a Tricky Proof?

• Thread starter MrGandalf
  • Start date
In summary, the homework statement is that the outer measure of any set A\subseteq\mathbb{R} is m^*(A). The attempt at a solution is to show that if I_n covers B, then it will also cover A. This is done by showing that Z_B \subset Z_A and then using the definition of the infimum to show that the larger set can't have an infimum greater than the smaller set.
MrGandalf
I have a sneaky suspicion that this is a fairly simple task, but I just can't seem to break through this particular proof.

Homework Statement

The (Lebesgue) outer measure of any set [itex]A\subseteq\mathbb{R}[/itex] is:

[itex]m^*(A) = inf Z_A[/itex]

where

[itex]Z_A = \bigg\{\sum_{n=1}^\infty l(I_n)\;:\;I_n\;\text{are intervals},\;A\subseteq\bigcup_{n=1}^\infty I_n\bigg\}[/itex]

My problem is to prove that [itex]m^*[/itex] is monotone, i.e

If [itex]A\subset B[/itex] then [itex]m^*(A) \leq m^*(B)[/itex]

The hints are to show that [itex]Z_B \subset Z_A[/itex] and then use the definition of the infimum to show that the larger set can't have an infimum greater than the smaller set.

The attempt at a solution

If [itex]I_n[/itex] covers B, then it will also cover A.
[itex]A\subset B\subset \bigcup_n I_n[/itex]. Hence [itex]Z_B \subset Z_A[/itex].

And now I am confused! :) I have two questions.

1) I was under the impression that [itex]l(I_n)[/itex] was the length of a certain intervall. But that makes [itex]Z_A[/itex] and [itex]Z_B[/itex] numbers. How can one number be a subset of another number?

2) My other question is regarding the statement about infimums. What does the size of a set have to do with what the infimum can be? For instance.
[itex]A = \{2, 3\}[/itex] and [itex]B = \{1,2,3,4\}[/itex]. Here [itex]A\subset B[/itex] but [itex]\text{inf}\; B < \text{inf}\; A[/itex]

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this!

Physics news on Phys.org
1) No, Z_A and Z_B are sets of numbers. For each open interval covering (I_n) of A, you get the number [itex]\sum l(I_n)[/itex]. As you range over all such coverings, you get a whole bunch of different numbers, and Z_A is the set of those numbers.

2) The size of a set doesn't affect its inf, but if A is a subset of B, then B's inf is less than or equal to A's. Because inf(B) is the greatest lower bound of B, and if A is a subset of B, then every lower bound of B is a lower bound of A, and hence the greatest lower bound of B is a lower bound for A, and hence less than or equal to the greatest lower bound for A.

Thank you!

I will charge the proof with newfound courage and motivation. :)

What does it mean for outer measures to be monotonic?

Monotonicity is a property of outer measures in measure theory, which states that if a set A is contained in a set B, then the outer measure of A is less than or equal to the outer measure of B. In other words, the larger a set, the greater its outer measure will be.

Why is monotonicity important in measure theory?

Monotonicity is important because it allows us to extend the concept of measure from simple sets to more complex sets. It also ensures that the outer measure of a set is consistent and does not change depending on how the set is partitioned or divided.

Can outer measures be non-monotonic?

No, outer measures must be monotonic in order to satisfy the defining properties of a measure. If an outer measure is non-monotonic, it would violate the property of subadditivity, which states that the measure of the union of two sets cannot be greater than the sum of their individual measures.

How is monotonicity related to the concept of measurable sets?

Measurable sets are those for which the outer measure is equal to the inner measure. Monotonicity plays a crucial role in determining whether a set is measurable or not. If a set is measurable, then its outer measure will be equal to its inner measure, which is a direct result of monotonicity.

Are there any exceptions to monotonicity in outer measures?

In general, outer measures must be monotonic. However, there are some exceptions, such as the Lebesgue outer measure, which is not monotonic on all sets. However, it is still monotonic on a certain class of sets known as Lebesgue-measurable sets.