1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Outer measures are monotonic

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    I have a sneaky suspicion that this is a fairly simple task, but I just can't seem to break through this particular proof.

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The (Lebesgue) outer measure of any set [itex]A\subseteq\mathbb{R}[/itex] is:

[itex]m^*(A) = inf Z_A[/itex]

where

[itex]Z_A = \bigg\{\sum_{n=1}^\infty l(I_n)\;:\;I_n\;\text{are intervals},\;A\subseteq\bigcup_{n=1}^\infty I_n\bigg\}[/itex]

My problem is to prove that [itex]m^*[/itex] is monotone, i.e

If [itex]A\subset B[/itex] then [itex]m^*(A) \leq m^*(B)[/itex]

The hints are to show that [itex]Z_B \subset Z_A[/itex] and then use the definition of the infimum to show that the larger set can't have an infimum greater than the smaller set.

The attempt at a solution

If [itex]I_n[/itex] covers B, then it will also cover A.
    [itex]A\subset B\subset \bigcup_n I_n[/itex]. Hence [itex]Z_B \subset Z_A[/itex].

And now I am confused! :) I have two questions.

1) I was under the impression that [itex]l(I_n)[/itex] was the length of a certain intervall. But that makes [itex]Z_A[/itex] and [itex]Z_B[/itex] numbers. How can one number be a subset of another number?

2) My other question is regarding the statement about infimums. What does the size of a set have to do with what the infimum can be? For instance.
    [itex]A = \{2, 3\}[/itex] and [itex]B = \{1,2,3,4\}[/itex]. Here [itex]A\subset B[/itex] but [itex]\text{inf}\; B < \text{inf}\; A[/itex]

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1) No, Z_A and Z_B are sets of numbers. For each open interval covering (I_n) of A, you get the number [itex]\sum l(I_n)[/itex]. As you range over all such coverings, you get a whole bunch of different numbers, and Z_A is the set of those numbers.

2) The size of a set doesn't affect its inf, but if A is a subset of B, then B's inf is less than or equal to A's. Because inf(B) is the greatest lower bound of B, and if A is a subset of B, then every lower bound of B is a lower bound of A, and hence the greatest lower bound of B is a lower bound for A, and hence less than or equal to the greatest lower bound for A.

4. Sep 14, 2009 #3
    Thank you!

I will charge the proof with newfound courage and motivation. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook