1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmology Outline of books in Cosmology

Tags:
  1. Jul 5, 2016 #1
    Hi, I'm currently in my last year of undergraduate degree, I have a basic knowledge of GR (A. Zee) but I have a very limited knowledge of cosmology, I did not cover the cosmology portion of Zee's book as it is too superficial and I don't want to waste my time reading that. I think my time will be better off at reading proper cosmology books. Based on my searches, Cosmology by Harrison is a good starter but is it an undergrad book or too easy in that respect? Is Cosmology by Roos good for undergrad? For grad school Dodelson? Can anybody guide me on the proper outline of books for cosmology?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2016 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  4. Jul 5, 2016 #3
    Ryden's book was published in 2002, while Roos' have a 4th edition last (2015), do you think that is a major plus? 13 years seems to have a lot of change in Cosmology.

5. Jul 5, 2016 #4
    The Amazon page for Roos 4e has a "Look Inside" preview which includes the preface, which outlines the changes from the third edition.

6. Jul 8, 2016 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

7. Jul 9, 2016 #6
  8. Jul 9, 2016 #7

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I really liked Rydens book, I have not looked into Roos but I have the 3rd edition though. If you have the time to wait, then perhaps Ryden is the best?

9. Jul 16, 2016 #8
    Thanks for your suggestions but what is the standard outline in studying cosmology? From undergrad to grad.

10. Jul 17, 2016 #9
    u may read the mechanical universe by Goodstein

11. Aug 1, 2016 #10
    That is a very good lecture notes, but I have a question on page 31 equation (2.1.6) on inflation, since the energy density ##ρ(a)## and the scale ##a## is related by ##ρ(a) ∝ a^{-3(1+w)}##, he said that the comoving hubble radius is given by (for a universe dominated by a fluid with constant equation of state)
    ##(aH)^{-1} = H_o^{-1} a^{\frac{1+3w}{2}}##. How did he get this relation?

12. Aug 1, 2016 #11

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Multiply equation (1.3.136),
    $$H = H_0 \sqrt{\Omega}a^{-\frac{3}{2} \left( 1 + w \right)},$$
    by the scale factor ##a##, and note that for a (spatially) flat universe, ##\Omega = 1##.

13. Aug 2, 2016 #12
    Thanks!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted