Outline of books in Cosmology

In summary: I see, so H is just the Hubble parameter corrected for the scale factor. Correct me if I'm wrong!Thanks!Correct.
Figaro
Hi, I'm currently in my last year of undergraduate degree, I have a basic knowledge of GR (A. Zee) but I have a very limited knowledge of cosmology, I did not cover the cosmology portion of Zee's book as it is too superficial and I don't want to waste my time reading that. I think my time will be better off at reading proper cosmology books. Based on my searches, Cosmology by Harrison is a good starter but is it an undergrad book or too easy in that respect? Is Cosmology by Roos good for undergrad? For grad school Dodelson? Can anybody guide me on the proper outline of books for cosmology?

Physics news on Phys.org
I like "Introduction to Cosmology" by Barbara Ryden
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805389121/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and, at a little higher level, Daniel Baumann's lecture notes for a course that he taught at Cambridge
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/db275/Cosmology/Lectures.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes CalcNerd and QuantumQuest
George Jones said:

and, at a little higher level, Daniel Baumann's lecture notes for a course that he taught at Cambridge
Ryden's book was published in 2002, while Roos' have a 4th edition last (2015), do you think that is a major plus? 13 years seems to have a lot of change in Cosmology.

Figaro said:
Ryden's book was published in 2002, while Roos' have a 4th edition last (2015), do you think that is a major plus? 13 years seems to have a lot of change in Cosmology.

The Amazon page for Roos 4e has a "Look Inside" preview which includes the preface, which outlines the changes from the third edition.

I really liked Rydens book, I have not looked into Roos but I have the 3rd edition though. If you have the time to wait, then perhaps Ryden is the best?

malawi_glenn said:
I really liked Rydens book, I have not looked into Roos but I have the 3rd edition though. If you have the time to wait, then perhaps Ryden is the best?
Thanks for your suggestions but what is the standard outline in studying cosmology? From undergrad to grad.

u may read the mechanical universe by Goodstein

George Jones said:

That is a very good lecture notes, but I have a question on page 31 equation (2.1.6) on inflation, since the energy density ##ρ(a)## and the scale ##a## is related by ##ρ(a) ∝ a^{-3(1+w)}##, he said that the comoving Hubble radius is given by (for a universe dominated by a fluid with constant equation of state)
##(aH)^{-1} = H_o^{-1} a^{\frac{1+3w}{2}}##. How did he get this relation?

Figaro said:
That is a very good lecture notes, but I have a question on page 31 equation (2.1.6) on inflation, since the energy density ##ρ(a)## and the scale ##a## is related by ##ρ(a) ∝ a^{-3(1+w)}##, he said that the comoving Hubble radius is given by (for a universe dominated by a fluid with constant equation of state)
##(aH)^{-1} = H_o^{-1} a^{\frac{1+3w}{2}}##. How did he get this relation?

Multiply equation (1.3.136),
$$H = H_0 \sqrt{\Omega}a^{-\frac{3}{2} \left( 1 + w \right)},$$
by the scale factor ##a##, and note that for a (spatially) flat universe, ##\Omega = 1##.

George Jones said:
Multiply equation (1.3.136),
$$H = H_0 \sqrt{\Omega}a^{-\frac{3}{2} \left( 1 + w \right)},$$
by the scale factor ##a##, and note that for a (spatially) flat universe, ##\Omega = 1##.
Thanks!

1. What is the purpose of an outline in a book about cosmology?

An outline is a helpful tool in organizing the content of a book about cosmology. It provides a clear and structured overview of the main topics and subtopics that will be covered, helping readers to understand the overall structure of the book and the flow of information.

2. How is an outline for a book about cosmology typically structured?

An outline for a book about cosmology usually follows a hierarchical format, with main topics listed first, followed by subtopics and supporting details. It may also include chapter and section headings, as well as key concepts and ideas to be covered in each section.

3. Can an outline be useful in the writing process for a book about cosmology?

Yes, an outline can be a helpful tool for authors in the writing process. It allows them to plan and organize their ideas before diving into writing, making it easier to stay on track and ensure all important topics are covered.

4. Are there different types of outlines used in books about cosmology?

Yes, there are several types of outlines that can be used in books about cosmology, including traditional alphanumeric outlines, decimal outlines, and graphical outlines. Each type has its own advantages and can be used depending on the author's preference and the complexity of the book's content.

5. How can an outline in a book about cosmology benefit readers?

An outline can benefit readers by providing a clear and organized overview of the book's content. It can help them to better understand the structure of the book and the connections between different topics, making it easier to comprehend complex concepts and ideas in cosmology.