Suggestion for cosmology overview

In summary, the person is asking for suggestions on a good general-background book on cosmology and the evolution of the universe. They have a background in biophysics and a decent mathematical background but do not want a book with hardcore derivations. Some recommended books include A. Liddle's 'An Introduction to Modern Cosmology', J. Silk's 'Big Bang', and M. Lachieze-Rey's 'Cosmology: A First Course'. However, the last recommendation is from 1992 and may not include the most recent observational data.
Nikolai01
I was wondering if I could get suggestions for good general-background book on cosmology and the development/evolution of the universe. This is for myself, and I'll leave any more specifics to the topics open as I'd be look into whatever suggestions I receive. I'm a biophysicist, and back in undergrad (14 years ago, ack!) was a chemical physics major, with more of an emphasis in physics. I took modern physics and quantum back then, and remember it qualitatively if not quantitatively. I have a decent mathematical background, but this will be read during my down time and I probably won't want to be doing any hardcore derivations. :-) Thanks!

-Nikolai

Physics news on Phys.org
Liddle is a very accesible introduction :)

Try A. Liddle's 'An introduction to modern cosmology'.
It's short and concise (mere ~200 pages). The mathematical part is kept relatively simple and notations are clear. Advanced physics background is not required, as general relativity is mostly avoided.
In a pinch, you can even skim over the equations, and still retain reasonably good qualitative understanding of the material - although with your background that should not be a problem.

Another tentative recommendation is J. Silk's 'Big Bang'. I've only read it in fragments, hence the 'tentative' qualifier. From what I've seen, though, it has a much broader scope, including topics on localised evolution (stars, galaxies). Although technically a textbook, it is much more words than equations, the latter being relegated to appendices - it is arguably a better choice if you're looking for a more casual read, closer to what a popular science book would give you.

I recommend M. Lachieze-Rey, Cosmology: A First Course

Likes smodak
Demystifier said:
I recommend M. Lachieze-Rey, Cosmology: A First Course
Amazon review says the book is quite outdated. Is it?

smodak said:
Amazon review says the book is quite outdated. Is it?
It is written in 1992, so it does not discuss the most recent observational data such as accelerated expansion and dark energy. But it does not contain claims which today would be considered wrong, and theoretical concepts considered there are not outdated at all.

Likes smodak

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the scientific study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It combines principles from physics, astronomy, and mathematics to understand the nature of the universe and its fundamental laws.

2. What are the major theories in cosmology?

The two major theories in cosmology are the Big Bang theory and the Steady State theory. The Big Bang theory proposes that the universe began with a massive explosion, while the Steady State theory suggests that the universe has always existed and is continuously expanding.

3. What evidence supports the Big Bang theory?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports the Big Bang theory, including the expansion of the universe, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the abundance of light elements in the universe. Additionally, the theory is supported by mathematical models and observations of distant galaxies.

4. What is dark matter and why is it important in cosmology?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not emit or absorb light, making it invisible to telescopes. It is believed to make up about 27% of the universe and is important in cosmology because it helps explain the formation and structure of galaxies. Without dark matter, the observed motions of galaxies would not match the predictions of existing theories.

5. How does cosmology relate to other fields of science?

Cosmology is a multidisciplinary field that combines principles from physics, astronomy, and mathematics. It also has connections to other fields such as particle physics, general relativity, and astrophysics. Cosmology is also related to philosophy as it seeks to answer fundamental questions about the nature of the universe and our place in it.