Output of an LTI system when the input is multiplied with 'n'

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the function of a system by applying it to an input. The system was determined to be a differentiator, and the output was found to be n (impulse response) + u[n]. The difference equation for this system was found to be (n + 1) u [n + 1] - n u[n], leading to the correct answer of B as stated in the book.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2018-2-6_17-14-21.png

Homework Equations

Find out the function of the system.
Apply that to input.

The Attempt at a Solution

From given input output, system is a differentiator.
So when input is n u[n]
output is differentiating it,
we get:
n (impulse response) + u[n]
Which is not in any of the option.
Book answer is B.
I'm struggling to get that.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-6_17-14-21.png
    upload_2018-2-6_17-14-21.png
    3 KB · Views: 858
Physics news on Phys.org
jaus tail said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 219792

Homework Equations

Find out the function of the system.
Apply that to input.

The Attempt at a Solution

From given input output, system is a differentiator.
So when input is n u[n]
output is differentiating it,
we get:
n (impulse response) + u[n]
Which is not in any of the option.
Book answer is B.
I'm struggling to get that.
The problem statement seems to be mixing its use of square brackets and curved brackets. Just so we're on the same page, I like to use square brackets when working with discrete time, so I'm going to use them here.

Also, I'm going to assume that [itex] \delta[n] [/itex] is the Krockner delta function (which has a magnitude of 1 at n=0 and a magnitude of 0 elsewhere), which should not be confused with the Dirac delta function (which has infinite magnitude at n=0).

Code:
n      -3   -2   -1   0   1   2   3   4   5
u[n]    0    0    0   1   1   1   1   1   1
δ[n]    0    0    0   1   0   0   0   0   0

Now that we have that squared away, I think you are correct about the system being a differentiator.

So the first thing is to write out the sequence [itex] n u[n] [/itex]. This is easy to calculate since you already know what [itex] n [/itex] is and what [itex] u[n] [/itex] is.

Differentiate your [itex] n u[n] [/itex] sequence, and what do you get?

[Edit: Also, for what it's worth, "differentiation" in continuous time becomes "difference" in discrete time. So can you find the difference equation for this system?]

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
upload_2018-2-7_9-24-51.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-7_9-21-24.png
    upload_2018-2-7_9-21-24.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 472
  • upload_2018-2-6_17-14-21-png.png
    upload_2018-2-6_17-14-21-png.png
    3 KB · Views: 453
  • upload_2018-2-7_9-24-36.png
    upload_2018-2-7_9-24-36.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 519
  • upload_2018-2-7_9-24-51.png
    upload_2018-2-7_9-24-51.png
    2 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
jaus tail said:
How to find the difference equation?
From quora I found:
difference equation of f(n) = f(n+1) - f(n)
Close, but not quite perfect.

The equation does involve a difference between a couple of terms. Just make sure to get the right terms.
But here input is n u[n]
so how to find it's difference equation:
(n + 1) u [n + 1] - n u[n] ?

Start by writing out the sequence of [itex] n u[n] [/itex]. Start at around n = -3 and work you way to around n = 5 or so.

Likes jaus tail
Yeah I think i figured it out. I was editing my post when you replied. Is it right now?

Likes collinsmark
jaus tail said:
Yeah I think i figured it out. I was editing my post when you replied. Is it right now?
Yes, that looks correct now to me. :smile:

(Edit: you skipped the number '4' in your n, but you seem to have worked it out correctly otherwise.)

Likes jaus tail
Also gives me right answer of B. Thanks.

Likes collinsmark

Question 1: What is an LTI system?

An LTI (linear time-invariant) system is a mathematical model used to describe the relationship between an input and output signal. It is characterized by two main properties: linearity, which means that the output is directly proportional to the input, and time-invariance, which means that the system's behavior does not change over time.

Question 2: How does an LTI system process an input signal?

When an input signal is fed into an LTI system, it is multiplied by a transfer function which represents the system's response. This multiplication is done in the frequency domain, where the input and output signals are represented as complex numbers.

Question 3: What happens to the output of an LTI system when the input is multiplied by a constant factor?

If the input is multiplied by a constant factor, the output of an LTI system will also be multiplied by the same factor. This is because of the linearity property of LTI systems, which states that the output is directly proportional to the input.

Question 4: How does the LTI system respond to a sinusoidal input signal?

The response of an LTI system to a sinusoidal input signal depends on the frequency of the input. If the input frequency is within the system's bandwidth, the output will also be a sinusoidal signal with the same frequency but possibly with a different amplitude and phase. If the input frequency is outside the system's bandwidth, the output will be attenuated or distorted.

Question 5: Can the output of an LTI system be calculated without knowing the input signal?

No, the output of an LTI system cannot be calculated without knowing the input signal. The input signal is necessary to determine the transfer function of the system, which is required to calculate the output. Without knowing the input, it is not possible to accurately predict the output of an LTI system.