Outrageously complete and so so wrong explanations

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complete
In summary, this person believes that most government conspiracy theories are based on incorrect information. They think that the reason people believe in these theories is because the information is hidden from them. They also think that the reason people distrust their government is because of events that have happened in the past.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Something i noticed while laughing at the people on yahoo answers was that some people can make very elaborate and lengthy answers yet be completely wrong! I see that on this forum as well (and its fun when mods/science advisors tear them down). It's just amazing to see nearly page long explanations about things the poster seems to know absolutely nothing about. I mean after a whole page giving a detailed description of photons, i was almost convinced that the speed of light changed lineraly vs. the frequency. Then i laughed and dismissed the idiot because everything was wrong in his argument.

It's just kinda strange that people can be so blatantly wrong yet .. be very detailed in their... wrongness. I think people are full of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
After reading this, I feel like you owe me the 10 seconds of my life you caused me to waste...:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Don't you have a hobby, or something you should study? Like linear algebra?

I know liner algbra by heart!

Pengwuino said:
I know liner algbra by heart!

Then you better call a doctor.

cyrus, have you not learned that about .01% of pengwuino's numerous threads are relevant to anything important?

Pengwuino said:
Something i noticed while laughing at the people on yahoo answers was that some people can make very elaborate and lengthy answers yet be completely wrong! I see that on this forum as well (and its fun when mods/science advisors tear them down). It's just amazing to see nearly page long explanations about things the poster seems to know absolutely nothing about. I mean after a whole page giving a detailed description of photons, i was almost convinced that the speed of light changed lineraly vs. the frequency. Then i laughed and dismissed the idiot because everything was wrong in his argument.

It's just kinda strange that people can be so blatantly wrong yet .. be very detailed in their... wrongness. I think people are full of it.

What tends to happen is that people develop these theories of theirs in a vacuum. The theories can get quite elaborate because there is no check-versus-established-science step and no experimental testing step. This is where normally they would discover that their theory is a dead-end.

Also, many times the person has no formal training. They read a few pop-sci books at the coffee shop and then consider themselves experts. I run into these types at work - the "I was too smart to go to school" crowd.

DaveC426913 said:
What tends to happen is that people develop these theories of theirs in a vacuum. The theories can get quite elaborate because there is no check-versus-established-science step and no experimental testing step. This is where normally they would discover that their theory is a dead-end.

Wow i didnt think i got serious responses on this thread *cough* cyrus yommama *cough*. I think that's definitely a good explanation! I think a lot of conspiracy theories follow along the same line. It's interesting to think that there's so many governmental conspiracy theories that really only work when absolutely nothing else is considered. It's like... senator A secretly funded this organization that hired hitmen to kill a staff member with this super bad secret about senator A so that he would win the election against senator B... but then in reality, senator A sponsors senator B in another election 3 years later blowing the whole conspiracy out of wack and the theorist refuses to even talk about it.

Or screw that hypothetical idea, bring up the moon landing! That conspiracy needs a real vacuum thought process to work out well.. no pun intended.

The government conspiracy theories result in part because of a people who no longer trust their government. Once that trust has been betrayed, I don't think it can ever be won back. Cold war secrecy, Watergate, Contra-gate, what we learn about past activity, and probably another half dozen specific examples [Kent State] probably account for much of the distrust found in people my age. It has been earned.

One of the reasons that we find so many UFO conspiracy theories is the over-classification of information. When one receives a thirty,or forty, or fifty year old gov. doc - through the freedom of information act - which clearly describes a UFO encounter, but with 25%-75% of the information blacked out, of course people assume that the government is hiding information. They would be idiots to assume otherwise considering all of the black ink. I have learned that at least in some cases the information hidden relates to secret trips or activities that have nothing to do with UFOs. For example, why hide information in 1999 about a secret trip made to the Soviet in the mid-sixties by the late and once powerful US Senator Russell? But this is what happened. So many readers simply fill in the blanks with what they expect.

Last edited:
I was trying to find a link, but one government official stated that there are over one-billion classified documents that need to be reviewed before declassifying them. Meanwhile we are producing classified information at a rate probably ten or one-hundred times greater [or since 911, perhaps another order of magnitude or more] than what produced the billion docs already awaiting review. This creates a situation in which it is not possible to monitor even past government activities.

The stated irony is that most of it probably doesn't need to be secret, but by trying to contain so much classified information, it becomes more difficult to protect the information that is truly critical to our national interests.

Last edited:

1. What makes an explanation "outrageously complete and so so wrong"?

An explanation can be considered "outrageously complete and so so wrong" when it contains an abundance of detailed information and seems to cover all aspects of a topic, but is ultimately incorrect or based on faulty reasoning.

2. Why are these types of explanations common in science?

In science, there is a constant search for new knowledge and understanding. This can lead researchers and scientists to come up with explanations that may seem complete and convincing, but upon further examination, are proven to be incorrect or incomplete.

3. How can we distinguish between a valid explanation and an "outrageously complete and so so wrong" one?

A valid explanation in science is one that is supported by evidence, logical reasoning, and is consistent with established theories and principles. In contrast, an "outrageously complete and so so wrong" explanation may lack evidence, have logical fallacies, or contradict established scientific knowledge.

4. Can "outrageously complete and so so wrong" explanations be beneficial to science?

While these types of explanations may not be accurate, they can still provide insight into the thought process and reasoning of scientists. They can also serve as a starting point for further investigation and can lead to the development of more accurate explanations.

5. How should scientists handle "outrageously complete and so so wrong" explanations?

It is important for scientists to critically evaluate all explanations, including those that may seem "outrageously complete and so so wrong." They should be open to considering alternative explanations and be willing to revise their own theories and ideas based on new evidence and information.