Oxford English Dictionary defines terrorism

• News
  • Thread starter Skyhunter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary, the term "terrorism" is commonly used to describe any life-threatening actions or policies that are politically motivated and intended to intimidate a population or government. However, there is no clear agreement on its exact definition and it is often used in a pejorative sense. The FBI and other government agencies consider eco-terrorism as the biggest domestic threat, but some argue that it is being used to stifle and crush opposition to corporate interests. While eco-terrorists have not caused bodily harm to anyone, their actions, such as arson and vandalism, are considered acts of intimidation and therefore fall under the definition of terrorism.
SOS2008 said:
Exactly. My position is that a line needs to be drawn between merely breaking the law (arson, vandalism, inciting people to violence, even when resulting in murder, even assassination, etc.) and terrorism--regardless of motive. Terms such as arson, murder, etc. exist for this reason.
To the contrary, unconventional war is a very good way to differentiate.
For more - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconventional_Warfare And in which unconventional warfare and terrorism are cross referenced.
IMO, Al Qaeda is conducting an unconventional war. Furthermore, recent terrorist acts in Jordan are a very good example of “coordinated attacks” characterized as "indiscriminate," "targeting of civilians," or executed "with disregard" for human life.
On the spectrum of things I cannot see environmentalists, or any of the other groups you listed in the same classification.
Ofcourse they are crossreferenced because they are related. Guerilla warfare should also be crossreferenced with the two. On the whole Al Queda is fighting an "Unconventional War". They are fighting that war with "terror tactics". You can call someone who fights an unconventional war a terrorist, guerilla, insurgent, spy, assasin, ect. You can even call a guerilla a terrorist or insurgent or vice versa. All of these tactics fall within "unconventional warfare" and criss cross one another.
"Terrorism" is a tool. It is a tool that can be used by all sorts of organizations paramilitary or not and whether they take life or not.
Long before 9/11, and this idiotic craze over what a terrorist is, "terrorist" was already accepted to mean those who use violent methods to make political statements. Under this definition we have heard of kidnappers, plane hijackers(just hijackers, not necessarily people who crash them into buildings), people who bomb buildings(vacant or occupied), people who send letter bombs, ect ect ect... all being described as terrorists. The people were not paramilitary. They did not necessarily harm anyone or kill any one. They were not necessarily fighting any sort of "war", unless you want to apply that term with a wide brush. Why all the sudden do we want to make the term mean only those like Al Queda?

Physics news on Phys.org
TheStatutoryApe said:
Ofcourse they are crossreferenced because they are related. Guerilla warfare should also be crossreferenced with the two. On the whole Al Queda is fighting an "Unconventional War". They are fighting that war with "terror tactics". You can call someone who fights an unconventional war a terrorist, guerilla, insurgent, spy, assasin, ect. You can even call a guerilla a terrorist or insurgent or vice versa. All of these tactics fall within "unconventional warfare" and criss cross one another.

"Terrorism" is a tool. It is a tool that can be used by all sorts of organizations paramilitary or not and whether they take life or not.
Long before 9/11, and this idiotic craze over what a terrorist is, "terrorist" was already accepted to mean those who use violent methods to make political statements. Under this definition we have heard of kidnappers, plane hijackers(just hijackers, not necessarily people who crash them into buildings), people who bomb buildings(vacant or occupied), people who send letter bombs, ect ect ect... all being described as terrorists. The people were not paramilitary. They did not necessarily harm anyone or kill any one. They were not necessarily fighting any sort of "war", unless you want to apply that term with a wide brush. Why all the sudden do we want to make the term mean only those like Al Queda?
So perhaps the terms revolutionary, guerilla, insurgent, etc. will continue to be used in global politics, and perhaps the terms arson, vandal, murderer, etc. will continue to be used for domestic crime -- all part of a rich language that provides nuances applicable to varying scenarios, regardless of some commonality of tools and/or motives.

To use blanket terms inferring all these activities are one in the same is absurd, and in the case of environmentalists it is being done to discredit a cause.

SOS said:
So perhaps the terms revolutionary, guerilla, insurgent, etc. will continue to be used in global politics, and perhaps the terms arson, vandal, murderer, etc. will continue to be used for domestic crime -- all part of a rich language that provides nuances applicable to varying scenarios, regardless of some commonality of tools and/or motives.
The point of the term "terrorist" being applied is part of that "rich language that provides nuances applicable to varying scenarios" you mention and as I mentioned earlier it's part of the varying sorts of charges that can be leveled against someone depending on their motives and the situation(pretty much the same thing you just said:wink:).
So if we don't charge them with taking part in "terrorist type activities" as the law likely reads then what are we going to charge them with? If we are to reflect in the charges against them that they are not just some person who set something on fire then what do we call it?

SOS said:
To use blanket terms inferring all these activities are one in the same is absurd, and in the case of environmentalists it is being done to discredit a cause.
For one thing it's just a term. The term does not discredit anyone. People who participate in activities that could be described as "terrorism" discredit themselves and the organizations they belong to or claim to belong to because most people do not think it is right to do such things. Every organization that has been accused of "terrorism" and the people who agree with them say they are not "terrorists" and those who call them such are just trying to discredit them.

Secondly it is not a blanket term. The term is meant to describe the motives of the actions not the actions themselves. A person can not just be charged with "terrorism" just as they can not be charged with "hate crime". A skin head who beats up a black person is charged for the assault and "hate crime" is attached to the charge to put the incident in proper perspective. A person can kidnap a child and it can be labeled a "hate crime" if that was the motive.
The only thing that is covered in the supposed "blanket" is all persons who possesses the particular type of motive for their criminal activities.

How about some actual legal definitions...

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00011--b.htm

1. - (1) In this Act "terrorism" means the use or threat of action where-

(a) the action falls within subsection (2),
(b) the use or threat is designed to influence the government or to intimidate the public or a section of the public, and
(c) the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause.
(2) Action falls within this subsection if it-

(a) involves serious violence against a person,
(b) involves serious damage to property,
(c) endangers a person's life, other than that of the person committing the action,
(d) creates a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public, or
(e) is designed seriously to interfere with or seriously to disrupt an electronic system.
(3) The use or threat of action falling within subsection (2) which involves the use of firearms or explosives is terrorism whether or not subsection (1)(b) is satisfied.

(4) In this section-

(a) "action" includes action outside the United Kingdom,
(b) a reference to any person or to property is a reference to any person, or to property, wherever situated,
(c) a reference to the public includes a reference to the public of a country other than the United Kingdom, and
(d) "the government" means the government of the United Kingdom, of a Part of the United Kingdom or of a country other than the United Kingdom.
(5) In this Act a reference to action taken for the purposes of terrorism includes a reference to action taken for the benefit of a proscribed organisation.

http://i-p-o.org/terrorism-legal-definition.htm
Here's a lengthy discussion which eventually leads to the authors summery suggestion of a legal definition in absence of an official definition from the UN.
Putting everything together now, one might come up with this core legal definition of terrorism: the employment by states, groups or individuals of acts or threats of violence or use of weapons deliberately targeting the civilian population, individuals or infrastructure for the primary purpose of spreading terror or extreme fear among the civilian population in relation to some political or quasi-political objective and undertaken with an intended audience.

http://www.unodc.org/unodc/terrorism_definitions.html
Some more proposals...
1. League of Nations Convention (1937):

"All criminal acts directed against a State and intended or calculated to create a state of terror in the minds of particular persons or a group of persons or the general public".

2. UN Resolution language (1999):

"1. Strongly condemns all acts, methods and practices of terrorism as criminal and unjustifiable, wherever and by whomsoever committed;

2. Reiterates that criminal acts intended or calculated to provoke a state of terror in the general public, a group of persons or particular persons for political purposes are in any circumstance unjustifiable, whatever the considerations of a political, philosophical, ideological, racial, ethnic, religious or other nature that may be invoked to justify them". (GA Res. 51/210 Measures to eliminate international terrorism)

3. Short legal definition proposed by A. P. Schmid to United Nations Crime Branch (1992):

Act of Terrorism = Peacetime Equivalent of War Crime

4. Academic Consensus Definition:

"Terrorism is an anxiety-inspiring method of repeated violent action, employed by (semi-) clandestine individual, group or state actors, for idiosyncratic, criminal or political reasons, whereby - in contrast to assassination - the direct targets of violence are not the main targets. The immediate human victims of violence are generally chosen randomly (targets of opportunity) or selectively (representative or symbolic targets) from a target population, and serve as message generators. Threat- and violence-based communication processes between terrorist (organization), (imperilled) victims, and main targets are used to manipulate the main target (audience(s)), turning it into a target of terror, a target of demands, or a target of attention, depending on whether intimidation, coercion, or propaganda is primarily sought" (Schmid, 1988).

Last edited by a moderator:
Skyhunter said:
You are the one who said that my statement that arson is not vandalism was factually wrong.
Please reread our exchange more carefully. They are related, but they are not the same. It is factually wrong to say they are equivalent.
I never condoned the violent actions of ELF or ALF, saying that I did is an outright lie and you know it.
When you continue to speak in generalizations and argue that it isn't worth the FBI's time to investigate this stuff, you make it sound like you condone such actions.

If your entire point were in the usage of the word terrorism, all the rest would be moot - but you are making statements sympathetic to the cause that these acts are being comitted to further. That makes it difficult to reconcile your statement that you don't condone these actions with your support for the cause and your belief that these actions don't warrent such treatment by the FBI.
My point is, and has been, that to characterize these people as terrorists is an exaggeration.
Fine. I disagree, but that doesn't change the fact that this is an important issue to the FBI, does it?
It is also a double standard since the people bombing abortion clinics are not considered terrorists by the FBI.
That's wrong: http://www.disastercenter.com/birmingh.htm

A cursory read of that and a few other sites implies that the FBI used to not call any domestic act terrorism. But I'm not certain. Either way, abortion clinic bombings are terrorism.
If a tree has a spike, it is of no value since there is no easy way to remove the spike or tell if there are any more. The cost to replace a saw blade at the lumber mill makes the it economically unfeasible.
Interesting perspective, but that is no more valid than saying 9/11 was purely an economic attack. Any terrorist attack is going to cost money, but that isn't why these attacks are carried out. Tree spiking is done for the purpose of scaring people to stop them from cutting down trees.
Excuse me. Your the one who brought up tree spiking. So I will defer to your opinion about supporting an argument with facts.
Heh - no. Tree spiking is the fact. You supported your argument with less than all the facts, ie comparing arson to painting cars, and leaving out the other forms of terrorism that ecoterrorists commit. That's kinda like arguing that the KKK is ok because they are a Christian organization (they are) and leaving out the fact that they also commit crimes. Argument via omission.

I simply brought up a fact that you have ignored because it doesn't fit your argument.
The rest I won't respond to because it is ad hominem. And unlike a "super mentor", I can't get away with it.
It is not ad hominem to point out that an argument based on speculation is not logically valid.

edit: a few other points that you ignored (that you called ad hominem?)

-You did not address the definition issue - the fact that a threat alone can be terrorism.
-You did not address the question of whether changing the word the FBI uses would make investigating/fighting these acts not worth the FBI's time.

Last edited:
TheStatutoryApe said:
Here's a lengthy discussion which eventually leads to the authors summery suggestion of a legal definition in absence of an official definition from the UN.
Some more proposals...
Good information, and according to it I would not classify environmentalists as using weapons "for the primary purpose of spreading terror or extreme fear among the civilian population in relation to some political or quasi-political objective and undertaken with an intended audience." I am far more afraid of a lone maniac shooting everyone in a McDonalds than I am environmentalists.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Some more proposals...
In regard to legal definitions provided:

Despite some commonalities, I will continue to see differences--sometimes huge differences. For example, it angers me that Bush refers to insurgents as terrorists. The two are very different, and we know referring to insurgents as "terrorists" is propaganda.

And still yet in other incidents there is no consistency. Individual(s) who bomb abortion clinics fit the description of terrorists far more than environmentalists, but are not referred to as terrorists.

It should be apparent that the term "terrorist" is being selectively applied to environmentalists for propaganda purposes. If you choose to be naive, suit yourself.

It appears that truth is terror to Enron mogul Kenneth Lay:

CBS/AP) Enron Corp. founder Kenneth Lay launched an impassioned plea for former employees of the bankrupt energy company to defy a "wave of terror" by federal prosecutors and help him battle criminal charges.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/13/business/main1124214.shtml

Informal Logic said:
Good information, and according to it I would not classify environmentalists as using weapons "for the primary purpose of spreading terror or extreme fear among the civilian population in relation to some political or quasi-political objective and undertaken with an intended audience." I am far more afraid of a lone maniac shooting everyone in a McDonalds than I am environmentalists.
I guess this is my fault for keeping myself honest by including definitions that don't entirely correspond with the definition I have been using but if you take a look more than one of the definitions I quoted and were discussed in the links included references to not only the civilian population in general but "groups" and "persons" aswell. While you may not care what they do the persons who work at and own the sites that they bomb and set fire to may well be rather uneasy with what happened. More than one also cites attempts at coercion or forcing a state group or persons to conform to their aims or demands aside from just the general attempt at inciting fear.

SOS said:
Despite some commonalities, I will continue to see differences--sometimes huge differences. For example, it angers me that Bush refers to insurgents as terrorists. The two are very different, and we know referring to insurgents as "terrorists" is propaganda.
Who Bush does or does not refer to as "terrorists" and what ever reasoning he has for doing so has no bearing on the actual definition of the term. Why would you give Bush or any other such person the power of influencing the legitimacy of any particular term. Arguing that the way any such person uses a term and their reasoning for doing so effects it's legitimacy is inane. You are discussing with me whether or not it is appropriate so please refer to my definitions and usage and the definitions I have sourced instead of others whom I do not endorse or agree with please. I'm tired of people side stepping my argument.
Also if you read the first link in my last post it seems that UN members agree that regardless of the nature of the organization (insurgent, state, guerilla, what have you) it's modus is what should be considered to determine if they are guilty of "terrorism" by international law. Do you not agree with the way the UN seems to be leaning with it's own definitions?

SOS said:
And still yet in other incidents there is no consistency. Individual(s) who bomb abortion clinics fit the description of terrorists far more than environmentalists, but are not referred to as terrorists.
Unfortunately I can't read this because of the internet filter here at work but the head line on google reads...
Anti-Abortion Escapee Joins bin Laden on FBI List
This might be the same thing but I can read it...
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3861/is_200205/ai_n9020463
This links refers to several forms of "Domestic Terrorism" emphasizing "right-wing terrorism"...
http://academic.udayton.edu/race/06hrights/WaronTerrorism/terrorism01.htm
The FBI aparently has classified abortion clinic bombings as "terrorism"...
On the domestic front, despite hundreds of violent attacks against abortion clinics by anti-abortion groups since the late 1970s, the FBI did not classify such violence as terrorism until the mid-1990s
http://www.bsos.umd.edu/gvpt/lpbr/subpages/reviews/Jenkins1103.htm
These are just the some of the first few references I have found on Google.

SOS said:
It should be apparent that the term "terrorist" is being selectively applied to environmentalists for propaganda purposes. If you choose to be naive, suit yourself.
I think that certain people such as Bush&Co are selectively not referring to certain types of terrorism as such, or simply ignoring them, due to their political alignments and hypocracy. If not being a hypocrite means I'm naive then I'd rather be naive thanks.

You've yet to explain to me what you think "eco-terrorists" should be charged with if not "terrorism".

I didn't say they were equivalent. In response to rachmaninoff, I said...
Skyhunter said:
Arson is a form of vandalism, ie destruction of property, but I understand your point. I was not trying to diminish these acts, but to make the distinction between persons and property.
And now you agree.
russ_watters said:
They are related, but they are not the same. It is factually wrong to say they are equivalent.
But before you said...
russ_watters said:
No, but there is factually accurate and factually wrong. Ie, the post above...
russ_watters said:
When you continue to speak in generalizations and argue that it isn't worth the FBI's time to investigate this stuff, you make it sound like you condone such actions.
I did not say it was not worth the FBI's time, I said it I don't believe it should be their #1 issue.
russ_watters said:
If your entire point were in the usage of the word terrorism, all the rest would be moot - but you are making statements sympathetic to the cause that these acts are being comitted to further. That makes it difficult to reconcile your statement that you don't condone these actions with your support for the cause and your belief that these actions don't warrent such treatment by the FBI.
My point is that the threat posed by 'ecoterrorists' is being exaggerated by the FBI. As for the word ecoterrorist, my point is that it is being used in such a way as to characterize environmentalists as terrorists.
russ_watters said:
That's wrong: http://www.disastercenter.com/birmingh.htm
A cursory read of that and a few other sites implies that the FBI used to not call any domestic act terrorism. But I'm not certain. Either way, abortion clinic bombings are terrorism.
Alright let's call them "Pro-Life Terrorists"
From the article:
MALICIOUSLY DAMAGED, BY MEANS OF AN EXPLOSIVE DEVICE, BUILDINGS AND PROPERTY AFFECTING INTERSTATE COMMERCE WHICH RESULTED IN DEATH AND INJURY
Here we have a political movement that is killing people, yet the FBI does not consider them to be as great a threat as a political movement that for the most part, goes out of their way to avoid hurting people.
russ_watters said:
Interesting perspective, but that is no more valid than saying 9/11 was purely an economic attack. Any terrorist attack is going to cost money, but that isn't why these attacks are carried out. Tree spiking is done for the purpose of scaring people to stop them from cutting down trees.
Is that so?
http://ragette.org/treespike/enter.htm
Tree spiking helps ensure the woods/trees that you spike will not be cut for lumber/pulp and that the forest will move towards (or remain in) a climax, old growth state. The spike can damage both the value of the wood and the equipment used to 'harvest' and process the tree.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_spiking
Some tree spikers tend to mark the spiked trees, ostensibly to deter the harvesting of the spiked trees. Some sawmill operators check trees with metal detectors prior to milling. In turn, Foreman advocated the use of ceramic spikes which would be impossible for the metal detectors to register.

While Foreman claimed that injury to humans was an unlikely consequence of tree-spiking if the spiking was made known to authorities or logging companies, the tactic was condemned not only by the companies themselves, but by labor interests and, eventually, other members of Earth First!.

In 1987, Californian mill worker George Alexander was seriously injured when the bandsaw he was operating was shattered by a tree spike. While both the County sheriff and Alexander's employers, Louisiana-Pacific, blamed environmentalists for the spiking, when Earth First! activist Judi Bari obtained the sheriff's files on the incident some years later, she discovered that one of the suspects for the spiking was Bill Ervin, a 50 year old property-owner, unconnected with Earth First. While Ervin freely admitted spiking trees on his own land to prevent Louisiana-Pacific from taking timber on his side of the property line, he was never charged with spiking the tree that injured Alexander.
russ_watters said:
Tree spiking is the fact. You supported your argument with less than all the facts, ie comparing arson to painting cars, and leaving out the other forms of terrorism that ecoterrorists commit. That's kinda like arguing that the KKK is ok because they are a Christian organization (they are) and leaving out the fact that they also commit crimes. Argument via omission.
I simply brought up a fact that you have ignored because it doesn't fit your argument. It is not ad hominem to point out that an argument based on speculation is not logically valid.
I wasn't writing an essay, you brought up tree spiking and exaggerated the effects. Like you tend to do with all your arguments, like comparing my statement that spiking a tree to save it is like arguing that 9/11 was just a purely economic attack. Not only is it factually wrong, but they are not even related.
russ_watters said:
edit: a few other points that you ignored (that you called ad hominem?)
This is what I called ad hominem;
russ_watters said:
Closing you eyes, singing lalalalalalalala, and being willfully ignorant isn't going to change that.
russ_watters said:
-You did not address the definition issue - the fact that a threat alone can be terrorism.
It has already been discussed here how the word and it's definition is very broad. And the definition is not really central to my point, which is the exaggeration of the threat.
russ_watters said:
-You did not address the question of whether changing the word the FBI uses would make investigating/fighting these acts not worth the FBI's time.
Of course the FBI should investigate. But with limited resources, should it be devoting such a disproportionate amount of it resources to non personal injury crimes?

TheStatutoryApe said:
IYou've yet to explain to me what you think "eco-terrorists" should be charged with if not "terrorism".
How about Arson, vandalism, trespassing, transporting hazardous materials, etc. Classifying them as terrorist gives the government sweeping new powers to go after protesters.
With the P.A.T.R.I.O.T Act II, they don't need to be charged, just suspected, and they can be held indefinitely. At least that is my reading of it.

http://www.aclu.org//safefree/general/17346leg20030320.html
Further expands the reach of an already overbroad definition of terrorism so that organizations engaged in civil disobedience are at risk of government wiretapping (secs. 120, 121) asset seizure (secs. 428, 428), and their supporters could even risk losing their citizenship (sec. 501);
http://www.poptel.org.uk/statewatch/news/2003/feb/patriot2draft.html

The broader the definition the more people and organizations will fall under it.

Have you checked to see if you are in the pentagons database?

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/sections/news/DODAntiWarProtestDatabaseTracker.pdf

[edit]
A year ago, at a Quaker Meeting House in Lake Worth, Fla., a small group of activists met to plan a protest of military recruiting at local high schools. What they didn't know was that their meeting had come to the attention of the U.S. military.

A secret 400-page Defense Department document obtained by NBC News lists the Lake Worth meeting as a “threat” and one of more than 1,500 “suspicious incidents” across the country over a recent 10-month period.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10454316/

The Quaker religion strictly prohibits violence. Pacifism is synonymous with being a Quaker.

Skyhunter said:
How about Arson, vandalism, trespassing, transporting hazardous materials, etc. Classifying them as terrorist gives the government sweeping new powers to go after protesters.
With the P.A.T.R.I.O.T Act II, they don't need to be charged, just suspected, and they can be held indefinitely. At least that is my reading of it.
As I've already pointed out there are laws and classifications for crimes other than "terrorism" referring to things such as gang activity, organized crime, and hate crimes. These are added to charges like arson, vandalism, and the like to properly reflect the nature and motive of the particular incident. If you do not think that such activities that fall under the general legal definition of "terrorism" should be called "terrorism" then what should they be called? If you do not agree that such an addition to the charge to properly reflect motive should axist then would you support getting rid of such added charges as "hate crime" aswell?
Secondly I have already expressed that I do not support the idea of protesters being charged with "terrorism" unless they fall under the definitions I have been using in which case they wouldn't just be protesters. Further I do not endorse the suspension of habius corpus which the PATRIOT Act does. Just because I do not agree with the manner in which people charged with terrorism are being handled does not mean that I will disagree with the way in which they are being charged.
You have a problem with people being executed I believe.
Do you not want people being charged with murder simply because you don't want them to possibly be executed? Or do you think it makes more sense to fight against the practice of execution?

TheStatutoryApe said:
Who Bush does or does not refer to as "terrorists" and what ever reasoning he has for doing so has no bearing on the actual definition of the term. Why would you give Bush or any other such person the power of influencing the legitimacy of any particular term. Arguing that the way any such person uses a term and their reasoning for doing so effects it's legitimacy is inane. You are discussing with me whether or not it is appropriate so please refer to my definitions and usage and the definitions I have sourced instead of others whom I do not endorse or agree with please. I'm tired of people side stepping my argument.

Also if you read the first link in my last post it seems that UN members agree that regardless of the nature of the organization (insurgent, state, guerilla, what have you) it's modus is what should be considered to determine if they are guilty of "terrorism" by international law. Do you not agree with the way the UN seems to be leaning with it's own definitions?
Unfortunately I can't read this because of the internet filter here at work but the head line on google reads...
Anti-Abortion Escapee Joins bin Laden on FBI List
This might be the same thing but I can read it...
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3861/is_200205/ai_n9020463
This links refers to several forms of "Domestic Terrorism" emphasizing "right-wing terrorism"...
http://academic.udayton.edu/race/06hrights/WaronTerrorism/terrorism01.htm
The FBI aparently has classified abortion clinic bombings as "terrorism"...
These are just the some of the first few references I have found on Google.

I think that certain people such as Bush&Co are selectively not referring to certain types of terrorism as such, or simply ignoring them, due to their political alignments and hypocracy. If not being a hypocrite means I'm naive then I'd rather be naive thanks.
You've yet to explain to me what you think "eco-terrorists" should be charged with if not "terrorism".
Skyhunter has already answered many of your questions nicely (thank you Skyhunter). I refer to Bush to illustrate the misuse of the term terrorism. And since he is the president (unfortunately) of the most powerful nation in the world (though not as powerful as it was before he was elected), it does matter how he uses the term--unlike you or me.

In regard to the UN, you make a distinction that I made earlier, which is that of international law versus domestic law. I feel this is one reason for different terms. But to answer your question directly, these definitions mean little to me. As a member of the civilian population, which do you fear most? Being killed/injured in a terrorist attack or global warming? Terrorism in general is pretty far down on my list of worries, but for many Americans fear mongering with the term "terrorism" has provided an effective distraction from real problems (like global warming).

As for those who bomb abortion clinics, a term such as "pro-life terrorists" probably does not exist because those in the medical community who may be affected don't have the same marketing/lobbying power as large corporations (e.g., that currently want to buy public land cheap to make big profits from mining). Ultimately, for both pro-life or environmental protestors, the same concern for civil liberties exist (as Skyhunter points out in regard to the Patriot Act--which has just been renewed by the House. :bugeye: ).

Skyhunter said:
http://www.aclu.org//safefree/general/17346leg20030320.html
http://www.poptel.org.uk/statewatch/news/2003/feb/patriot2draft.html
The broader the definition the more people and organizations will fall under it.
Have you checked to see if you are in the pentagons database?
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/sections/news/DODAntiWarProtestDatabaseTracker.pdf
[edit]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10454316/
The Quaker religion strictly prohibits violence. Pacifism is synonymous with being a Quaker.

And the military tracking of protestors is also nationwide, the following describes what the California National Guard is doing:

SACRAMENTO - Three decades after aggressive military spying on Americans created a national furor, California's National Guard has quietly set up a special intelligence unit that has been given ''broad authority'' to monitor, analyze and distribute information on potential terrorist threats, the Mercury News has learned.
Known as the Information Synchronization, Knowledge Management and Intelligence Fusion program, the project is part of an expanding nationwide effort to better integrate military intelligence into global anti-terrorism initiatives.
Although Guard officials said the new unit would not collect information on American citizens, top National Guard officials have already been involved in tracking at least one recent Mother's Day anti-war rally organized by families of slain American soldiers, according to e-mails obtained by the Mercury News.

Shades of tricky Dicky Nixon, our cup of paranoia overfloweth.

Regarding eco terrorism , as far as I can determine ,it does not exist within the CFR (United States Code of Federal Regulations). It is included in domestic terrorism in general laws. Which means that as I have stated before the eco people are stuffed into the same, one size fits all monkey suit of laws, that apply to domestic terrorism.

(5) the term “domestic terrorism” means activities that—

(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;

(B) appear to be intended—

(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;

(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or

(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and

(C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00002331----000-.html

A big change came along with the Patriot Act when (B) intentional, became (B) appear to be intentional. And subsection (i) was added . These changes are critical because "Intention" is a major factor in any crime and must be proven in court. Now only the appearance of intention needs to be present. It is also difficult for a jury to
rationalize exactly what a civilian population is.

This is very important especially in cases of eco vandalism because a prosecutor can easily convince a jury of "appearance of intention". A person's presence at a certain location can establish that, even if the person only was a bystander.

On the other hand defense attorneys are complaining because it is difficult to dis- prove appearance of intention.

Regardless it is all a big gum ball of hyper paranoia and political favors for the elite that will do nothing to protect this country from real terrorists.

SOS said:
Skyhunter has already answered many of your questions nicely (thank you Skyhunter).
No, he has only rehashed all of the things I have already responded to. Responses which I have not received any feed back on except for references that have nothing to do what what I am arguing. You seem to be ignoring everything I say while putting up the apearence that you are having a discussion with me quite artfully.

SOS said:
I refer to Bush to illustrate the misuse of the term terrorism. And since he is the president (unfortunately) of the most powerful nation in the world (though not as powerful as it was before he was elected), it does matter how he uses the term--unlike you or me.
I'm sorry but I was under the distinct impression that I was discussing the appropriateness of this term based on my definitions and those of particular sources that I respect and agree with (perhaps I am unimportant but is the UN and british law unimportant as well?). If you think that I am misusing the term or you would like to question the appropriateness of the definitions I have cited then by all means give me that argument (which I have been waiting and asking for) instead of disrespecting me by ignoring and glossing over my thoughts and sidestepping my points to talk about your dislike for Bush. If you simply have no interest in discussing this with me please let me know in a polite fashion. Thank you.

SOS said:
In regard to the UN, you make a distinction that I made earlier, which is that of international law versus domestic law.
Obviously the UN is not concerned with our domestic laws and only with international law since they are an international body of government. It is up to any individual nation to make their own laws in regards to "domestic terrorism" since the UN will not be having anything to do with it.

SOS said:
But to answer your question directly, these definitions mean little to me. As a member of the civilian population, which do you fear most? Being killed/injured in a terrorist attack or global warming? Terrorism in general is pretty far down on my list of worries, but for many Americans fear mongering with the term "terrorism" has provided an effective distraction from real problems (like global warming).
I'm sorry but I don't see how asking me a question to distract from mine and pontificate on "fear mongering" yet again answers my question at all. I should look back to make sure but I really don't see where you have given me a direct answer to any of my questions at all what so ever.
I'm sure that such things as petty theft and and minor traffic violations are pretty low on your list of worries as well but these things are defined in law books somewhere so that law enforcment agencies can do their jobs. This thread is about whether or not the term terrorism is appropriate for a particular sort of crime and the things that the FBI are doing in regards to that. If these things are well below being worthy of your attention then why are you pretending to have this discussion with me?

SOS said:
As for those who bomb abortion clinics, a term such as "pro-life terrorists" probably does not exist because those in the medical community who may be affected don't have the same marketing/lobbying power as large corporations (e.g., that currently want to buy public land cheap to make big profits from mining). Ultimately, for both pro-life or environmental protestors, the same concern for civil liberties exist (as Skyhunter points out in regard to the Patriot Act--which has just been renewed by the House. ).
This is where I really begin to wonder if you are paying that much attention at all to the discussion you are pretending to have with me. Did you read any of those links I provided? Do you want more? Did you not see that the FBI classifies the bombing of abortion clinics as a terrorist act? Are you paying any attention at all to any of the points I am making here?!

I like you SOS and I think you are an intelligent woman. I think that you are far more intelligent then the show you have put on here. I would like the respect of being treated to that intelligence when you discuss something with me.

Edward said:
It is included in domestic terrorism in general laws. Which means that as I have stated before the eco people are stuffed into the same, one size fits all monkey suit of laws, that apply to domestic terrorism.
It's also a good idea to realize that when they are charged they will be charged with terrorist acts as an addition to the charges. That is to say that someone who murders people in the process of their act of terrorism is going to be receiving the punishment for commiting murder with what ever extra penalties attached for it having been in the progress of an act of terrorism. If a person is charged with a terrorist act of arson they will not receive the same penalties as someone who murdered while in the same circumstances. The way you say "stuffed into the same, one size fits all monkey suit of laws, that apply to domestic terrorism" you'd think that no matter whether you sent an envelope of white powder in the mail or killed a dozen people with a bomb you're going to receive the same penalties.
The PATRIOT Act may bring in all sorts of other issues aside from the actual penalties one receives for the crime they commit but this has to do with the suspension of habius corpus and other such things that hold up the process of charges and sentencing. In the case of the PATRIOT Act it would be rather disgusting for someone to just complain that it's not right that eco-terrorists should have to deal with it's consequences. It's wrong that ANYONE has to deal with it's consequences regardless of the crimes they have commited.

TheStatutoryApe said:
As I've already pointed out there are laws and classifications for crimes other than "terrorism" referring to things such as gang activity, organized crime, and hate crimes. These are added to charges like arson, vandalism, and the like to properly reflect the nature and motive of the particular incident. If you do not think that such activities that fall under the general legal definition of "terrorism" should be called "terrorism" then what should they be called? If you do not agree that such an addition to the charge to properly reflect motive should axist then would you support getting rid of such added charges as "hate crime" aswell?
Since these groups are not targeting people I do not believe they should be charged with terrorism. Whether or not it is legal to do so is not the point.

The term ecoterrorist is not a legal term, it is a propaganda term meant to associate environmental activists with real terrorists that do target people. Like anti-abortionists who bomb clinics and shoot doctors. When it was just Rush Limbaugh and his 20 million ditto-heads it was bad enough. Now the FBI is has declared 'ecoterrorists the #1 domestic threat without providing any real evidence to support the contention. I believe this is another step by corporatists to stifle any opposition to their access to the worlds resources.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I like you SOS and I think you are an intelligent woman. I think that you are far more intelligent then the show you have put on here. I would like the respect of being treated to that intelligence when you discuss something with me.
Thank you for the compliment (I like you too :smile: ). I have answered your question, which was that definitions don't mean much to me. I am more interested in debating the effects and direction of definitions (the bigger picture).

Other than that, I feel members (I'm speaking in general here) often just don't like answers provided so continue to demand answers. Other members are not obligated to respond at all, and may not because the volley is consuming a lot of time and effort with nothing being accomplished.

TheStatutoryApe said:
It's also a good idea to realize that when they are charged they will be charged with terrorist acts as an addition to the charges. That is to say that someone who murders people in the process of their act of terrorism is going to be receiving the punishment for commiting murder with what ever extra penalties attached for it having been in the progress of an act of terrorism.

This has been my point all along.:rolleyes:

You seem to be hung up on murders and violent acts against people. But even so, as I stated before, those people should get whatever punishment the laws subscribe. But I can never agreee with applying the "terrorist" criminal sentence to a young person who has dented a freaking front loader.

A previous: up to one year, vandalism sentence is now: up to six years in prison. A twenty year sentence is now life imprisonment.

But the majority of the eco people are not violent and they are a separate group entirely from the right wing extremists. People like Rudolph and McVeigh, have predominantly been the perpretators of violent true terrorist acts.

Eco protestors tend to commit acts of a vandalism nature. Many of them are young. Throwing them into the same bag with people like Eric Rudolph and Timothy McVeigh, strictly at the behest of special interests, is an abomination of American justice.

Last edited:
TheStatutoryApe said:
I guess this is my fault for keeping myself honest by including definitions that don't entirely correspond with the definition I have been using but if you take a look more than one of the definitions I quoted and were discussed in the links included references to not only the civilian population in general but "groups" and "persons" as well.
Then we agree you or I may not completely agree with anyone definition, and is that not the problem? The portion I quoted is my perception of terrorism, and it is not how I would describe envrionmentalists.

SOS said:
Thank you for the compliment (I like you too ). I have answered your question, which was that definitions don't mean much to me. I am more interested in debating the effects and direction of definitions (the bigger picture).
I'm calmer now.:smile:
This is the thing. More than one person, including you, has stated that you do not believe that it is legitimate to refer to certain people as terrorists. This is what I have taken issue with and what I have been trying to discuss. If you don't want to discuss that then you shouldn't have said it and no you don't have to respond to any question I have asked but it is only polite and proper form in such a discussion that your replies to what I say are in regards to what I am saying.
I think that people who bomb and set fire to things as a form of political protest should be charged as terrorists (regardless of affiliation or ideology). If you don't agree then please explain why(and ofcourse you don't have to answer if you don't want to). If you think that only those who target persons should be considered terrorists then please explain why. Ect.
Unless you would like to explain to me the virtue in a court of hypocracy, bias, or preference the ideology of the criminal (and hence the usage of terms as propoganda against certain groups) is completely irrelevant to my questions.

consuming a lot of time and effort with nothing being accomplished.
The discussions on this political forum are really just a bunch of mental masturbation. All we accomplish here is enlightening one another about our perspectives, when people do not answer each others questions and do not respond to what each other are saying we're not even accomplishing that.:wink:

Skyhunter said:
Since these groups are not targeting people I do not believe they should be charged with terrorism. Whether or not it is legal to do so is not the point.
I've asked a couple times already but why is it necessary to target people in order for something to be considered terrorism? You and others have asserted it but I have not read an argument so far as to why that should be the case. I could take a que from you and respond "Well if they kill people then they are murderers. There's no need to call them terrorists. There's no need to call anyone terrorists. They're just murderers, arsonists, and bombers. We have laws that cover this already. Calling them terrorists is just a bunch of propaganda."
Would you advocate not calling anyone terrorists? Do you think that there would be a problem in this due to a lack of charging people appropriately for the nature of their crimes? Should we repeal all laws that adjust penalties and not charge people with being involved in gang activities, organized crime, or hate crimes either?
Skyhunter said:
The term ecoterrorist is not a legal term, it is a propaganda term meant to associate environmental activists with real terrorists that do target people. Like anti-abortionists who bomb clinics and shoot doctors. When it was just Rush Limbaugh and his 20 million ditto-heads it was bad enough. Now the FBI is has declared 'ecoterrorists the #1 domestic threat without providing any real evidence to support the contention. I believe this is another step by corporatists to stifle any opposition to their access to the worlds resources.
As I've already stated I don't care what politicians say. All I care about are what the crimes were that were commited by the perpetrators. If they bomb a building to make a political statement then I consider them terrorists. If they kill people in the process then they are murderers too.
As far as the FBI goes it seems that the particular individual who went before the Senate was basing his assertion off of numbers of incidents and the overall price tag for the damages done. There also does not seem to be a consensus even among the FBI on the matter. You're talking about one particular man and his campaign. If you take a look you'll see that Osama Bin Laden is still on the top ten along with an anti-abortion terrorist. I don't believe any tree hugging hippies are on there whether they are the kind that throw molotov cocktails or not. The FBI also considers rightwing terrorists and anti-abortion terrorists to be big threats. They have been giving these sorts of groups more and more attention as well. People blowing up abortion clinics, university labs, government facilities, ect all need to be investigated and brought to justice regardless of affiliation don't you think? If certain sorts of targets are being hit more frequently then the FBI should be paying more attention to those sorts of targets then don't you think?

Edward said:
But I can never agreee with applying the "terrorist" criminal sentence to a young person who has dented a freaking front loader.
And niether would I. I've already made this abundently clear. Why do you keep bringing it up?

Edward said:
A previous: up to one year, vandalism sentence is now: up to six years in prison. A twenty year sentence is now life imprisonment.
"Up to" being the operative words here I think. There is also such thing as parole. The man who murdered my uncle in cold blood was up for parole after less than ten years. I doubt there are any judges that will be putting an "eco-tagger"(:biggrin:) away on "terrorist" charges let alone for a whole six year sentence and even if the person did do something bad enough to be subjected to such wrath they would likely be up for parole after a year or two.

Edward said:
But the majority of the eco people are not violent and they are a separate group entirely from the right wing extremists. People like Rudolph and McVeigh, have predominantly been the perpretators of violent true terrorist acts.
Eco protestors tend to commit acts of a vandalism nature. Many of them are young. Throwing them into the same bag with people like Eric Rudolph and Timothy McVeigh, strictly at the behest of special interests, is an abomination of American justice.
I'm not talking about people who are non-violent, again this is something I thought I had made clear. I'm Talking About People Who Blow S*** UP and Set S*** ON FIRE! Get it now?:smile:
Now tell me please. What constitutes "true terrorism"? If in your opinion it means actual people are targeted then please refer back to the questions I posed Skyhunter?

Informal Logic said:
Then we agree you or I may not completely agree with anyone definition, and is that not the problem? The portion I quoted is my perception of terrorism, and it is not how I would describe envrionmentalists.
Why does your perception of terrorism only include incidents that create wide spread fear among the general populace as a whole and not include specified target groups? And why not include those incidents that are not so much for the purpose of spreading fear but of coercing a group to conform with the "terrorist's" aims/demands? Bombing abortion clinics is supposed to spread fear among, and more importantly coerce, a certain group of people. Would you not classify this as terrorism?

Also, just incase it is necessary, I will repeat myself. I am not referring to "environmentalists" but rather "People who blow s*** up" regardless of whether they are environmentalists, christians, anarchists, I don't care. I wouldn't call tree spiking "terrorism" unless it is done in such a way as to insure that it will do damage to machinery and possibly injure the workers. I wouldn't call "eco-tagging" terrorism either. Throwing a rock at a protest... not terrorism in my book.
Now I hope that we are all clear on the fact that when I refer to "eco-terrorists" I am meaning people who blow s*** up and set s*** on fire and the like and am not a dittohead and do not share their views that all "environmentalist wackos" are "terrorists" ok? Thanks. :smile:

TheStatutoryApe said:
Why does your perception of terrorism only include incidents that create wide spread fear among the general populace as a whole and not include specified target groups? And why not include those incidents that are not so much for the purpose of spreading fear but of coercing a group to conform with the "terrorist's" aims/demands? Bombing abortion clinics is supposed to spread fear among, and more importantly coerce, a certain group of people. Would you not classify this as terrorism?

Also, just incase it is necessary, I will repeat myself. I am not referring to "environmentalists" but rather "People who blow s*** up" regardless of whether they are environmentalists, christians, anarchists, I don't care. I wouldn't call tree spiking "terrorism" unless it is done in such a way as to insure that it will do damage to machinery and possibly injure the workers. I wouldn't call "eco-tagging" terrorism either. Throwing a rock at a protest... not terrorism in my book.

Now I hope that we are all clear on the fact that when I refer to "eco-terrorists" I am meaning people who blow s*** up and set s*** on fire and the like and am not a dittohead and do not share their views that all "environmentalist wackos" are "terrorists" ok? Thanks. :smile:
Because as others and I have stated, that kind of definition for terrorism is too broad. For example, “people who blow s*** up and set s*** on fire" could apply to the mob, gangs, or even juvenile delinquents, protestors, and so forth. In the case of environmentalists, the term is being used for individuals who do not even fit these criteria. If you do not want to agree that the term is too broad and therefore susceptible to misuse, than we should just agree to disagree.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I've asked a couple times already but why is it necessary to target people in order for something to be considered terrorism? You and others have asserted it but I have not read an argument so far as to why that should be the case. I could take a que from you and respond "Well if they kill people then they are murderers. There's no need to call them terrorists. There's no need to call anyone terrorists. They're just murderers, arsonists, and bombers. We have laws that cover this already. Calling them terrorists is just a bunch of propaganda."
Terrorism, by it's name means to terrorize people. You cannot terrorize things. ELF and ALF are primarily attacking the bottom line of corporations. I do not agree with their tactics, but since they are not harming people I don't think they should be in the same category as those who do target people. According to an as of yet unsubstantiated statement by the FBI, there have been 1200 incidents of "eco terrorism" and not one person was harmed. With a track record like this I would have to conclude that they definitely are not targeting people. IMO they are trying to stop practices that they deem to be hurting the environment and other living beings, by increasing the cost of continuing these practices. Spray painting SUVs, Spiking trees, blowing up labs where animal testing is being performed, etc.

I prefer the actions of PETA members who trespass to film what goes on in factory farms, they are still breaking the law, however it is justified by enlightening people to the suffering that goes into every chicken nugget. They are putting only themselves at risk for a cause that they believe in.

Skyhunter said:
Terrorism, by it's name means to terrorize people. You cannot terrorize things. ELF and ALF are primarily attacking the bottom line of corporations. I do not agree with their tactics, but since they are not harming people I don't think they should be in the same category as those who do target people. According to an as of yet unsubstantiated statement by the FBI, there have been 1200 incidents of "eco terrorism" and not one person was harmed. With a track record like this I would have to conclude that they definitely are not targeting people. IMO they are trying to stop practices that they deem to be hurting the environment and other living beings, by increasing the cost of continuing these practices. Spray painting SUVs, Spiking trees, blowing up labs where animal testing is being performed, etc.
I already have agreed that there is a difference. The way people are charged and sentenced should, and I believe does, reflect this difference in that people who target persons are also charged with things such as murder, attempted murder, assault, ect. The people who do not target people are not going to be charged with these things. They will only be charged with their crimes with an addendum to the charges and penalties to reflect that the crimes they commited were an act of terror.

ALF and ELF have also been known to attack Universities. They don't just go after corporations. And even if they are going after Corporations, that shouldn't matter. A person is still charged with murder if they kill a child molester or with arson if they burn down the child molester's house. Just because the target of the violence, in what ever form, may be vile and disgusting, unethical, or even in the progress of a crime themselves does not mean they are or should be any less protected by the law. Such considerations lead to hypocracy and bias and are no longer justice.

"Terrorism, by it's name means to terrorize people. You cannot terrorize things"
There are people who own the things that are being fire bombed and work or are students at the locations that are fire bombed. People can get frightened rather easily. It doesn't matter if someone tells you that the people who bombed your place of work do not kill people you're more than likely still going to be uneasy going back there. I've had my workplace receive bomb threats before. They were just prank calls and I knew they were just prank calls but they still succeeded in putting me on edge and multiple of my co-workers went home because they were too frightened to stay at work. Imagine how they would have felt if someone had blown up part of our work place. You don't have to kill people to scare them and/or coerce them. So please explain to me why you think that people must be targeted for an act to be considered terrorism considering that people can be terrorised without ever being targeted directly or even actually being subjected to real violence.

TheStatutoryApe said:
So please explain to me why you think that people must be targeted for an act to be considered terrorism considering that people can be terrorised without ever being targeted directly or even actually being subjected to real violence.
Just because someone is afraid doesn't necessarily mean they are being terrorized. My mother is afraid of caterpillars, and gets hysterical if one gets on her. I wouldn't call a caterpillar a terrorist though.

If their goal is not to cause indescriminate terror, why should their actions be considered terrorism.

Skyhunter said:
If their goal is not to cause indescriminate terror, why should their actions be considered terrorism.
Ok... I have outlined a definition of terrorism, relatively basic as it may be, and cited several other definitions from sources whom deal with the law and legal definitions which for the most part agree with my definition. The general consensus seems to define "terrorism" as the use of violence on the civilian population to promote a political/ideological cause through fear and coercion. Most seem to include the targeting of cetain groups or subsections of persons instead of just the general population. Some include violence towards property and not just violence inflicted on a person and those that do not mention property are not very specific as to what constitutes violence towards persons which could include violence towards their property and facilities. Ofcourse that last part is unclear like I said and is what seems to be the main matter of contention here.
So I'm asking you please to make an argument on thsi matter. Let me know if you have any problems with the definitions I have cited. If so let me know what you have a problem with and give me your personal definition please and your reasoning as to why this should be the legally accepted definition.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Ok... I have outlined a definition of terrorism, relatively basic as it may be, and cited several other definitions from sources whom deal with the law and legal definitions which for the most part agree with my definition. The general consensus seems to define "terrorism" as the use of violence on the civilian population to promote a political/ideological cause through fear and coercion. Most seem to include the targeting of cetain groups or subsections of persons instead of just the general population. Some include violence towards property and not just violence inflicted on a person and those that do not mention property are not very specific as to what constitutes violence towards persons which could include violence towards their property and facilities. Ofcourse that last part is unclear like I said and is what seems to be the main matter of contention here.
So I'm asking you please to make an argument on thsi matter. Let me know if you have any problems with the definitions I have cited. If so let me know what you have a problem with and give me your personal definition please and your reasoning as to why this should be the legally accepted definition.
I have no problem with the definition. It does not apply to the so called "eco terrorists". They are not using fear and coercion. They target labs where animals are the subjects of experiments in order to stop the experiments. They target property of corporations that they believe are committing crimes against man and nature. They should be punished when caught, but not for terrorism.

If the goal is not to terrorize why should they be labeled terrorists?

Why should they face terrorism charges when tried?

Skyhunter said:
I have no problem with the definition. It does not apply to the so called "eco terrorists". They are not using fear and coercion. They target labs where animals are the subjects of experiments in order to stop the experiments. They target property of corporations that they believe are committing crimes against man and nature. They should be punished when caught, but not for terrorism.
If the goal is not to terrorize why should they be labeled terrorists?
Why should they face terrorism charges when tried?
"I have no problem with the definition. It does not apply to the so called "Anti-Abortion terrorists". They are not using fear and coercion. They target clinics where people are the subjects of abortions in order to stop the abortions. They target property of organizations that they believe are committing crimes against man and nature. They should be punished when caught, but not for terrorism."
To say that eco-terrorists should be tried differently because they target corporations that they feel are commiting crimes against nature, and you presumably agree with them, is pure hypocracy.
Would you agree with your statement above which I have adjusted to what people probably used to say about the "anti-abortion terrorists"?
If you think that because certain of them target people and threaten people directly makes a difference then please explain to me why this makes a difference as to whether or not something is terrorism.
When an "eco-terrorist" bombs a lab or factory or some such thing they are attempting to coerce the owners into stopping what they are doing and coercing workers into leaving their jobs. These are the exact same aims and intentions of the individuals that bomb abortion clinics. Why should they be treated differently? Or do you think that neither should be charged with terrorism, and why?

TheStatutoryApe said:
"I have no problem with the definition. It does not apply to the so called "Anti-Abortion terrorists". They are not using fear and coercion. They target clinics where people are the subjects of abortions in order to stop the abortions. They target property of organizations that they believe are committing crimes against man and nature. They should be punished when caught, but not for terrorism."
To say that eco-terrorists should be tried differently because they target corporations that they feel are commiting crimes against nature, and you presumably agree with them, is pure hypocracy.
Would you agree with your statement above which I have adjusted to what people probably used to say about the "anti-abortion terrorists"?
If you think that because certain of them target people and threaten people directly makes a difference then please explain to me why this makes a difference as to whether or not something is terrorism.
When an "eco-terrorist" bombs a lab or factory or some such thing they are attempting to coerce the owners into stopping what they are doing and coercing workers into leaving their jobs. These are the exact same aims and intentions of the individuals that bomb abortion clinics. Why should they be treated differently? Or do you think that neither should be charged with terrorism, and why?
If they were bombing clinics while they were open, in order to scare people away from getting an abortion, or doctors and nurses from performing them, than I would agree that they are terrorizing people and would support the additional charge of terrorism. If however, they only bombed the buildings to render them inoperable, after making sure that they were empty, I would not agree that their actions constitute terrorism.

Skyhunter said:
If they were bombing clinics while they were open, in order to scare people away from getting an abortion, or doctors and nurses from performing them, than I would agree that they are terrorizing people and would support the additional charge of terrorism. If however, they only bombed the buildings to render them inoperable, after making sure that they were empty, I would not agree that their actions constitute terrorism.
If attacking a particular group such as abortion clinics, I would still classify this as a hate crime. If someone was killed in a particular group, for example African Americans, and regardless of weapon used I would still classify this as murder. IMO, when the general population lives in fear of a coordinated attack against random civilians by a known organization, then it is terrorism.

Informal Logic said:
If attacking a particular group such as abortion clinics, I would still classify this as a hate crime. If someone was killed in a particular group, for example African Americans, and regardless of weapon used I would still classify this as murder. IMO, when the general population lives in fear of a coordinated attack against random civilians by a known organization, then it is terrorism.
I agree. but if they are only attacking the facility, and taking care to not harm anyone, I would not consider it terrorism.

Skyhunter said:
Why must people be targeted for you to consider it terrorism if people can be terrorized and coerced via indirect attacks?(and thank you for starting to answer some of my questions:smile:)

Informal Logic said:
If attacking a particular group such as abortion clinics, I would still classify this as a hate crime.
That's interesting. "Hate Crime" is usually reserved for those that are targeted due to ethnicity/religion, more or less attacks against a particular social grouping. How would you legally justify attacks against abortion clinics as having to do with social grouping. You would have to generalize quite a bit for that wouldn't you?

Informal Logic said:
IMO, when the general population lives in fear of a coordinated attack against random civilians by a known organization, then it is terrorism.
This makes sense for international terrorism where an organization from a particular country or culture has a problem with another country/culture on that scale. But what about domestic terrorism? I have the feeling that you probably don't recognize such as terrorism. But are the motivations not the same just on a smaller scale?
As for terrorizing the general population, does it not make more sense for an organization who has a problem with a particular group of people to terrorize those who they have a problem with in particular? If someone is anti abortion does it really make much of a statement or do much good to simply target random people? I can't see this as really promoting their goals or helping to reach their aims.
And on the Hate Crime issue. It would seem to me that Hate Crime is supposed to encompass attacks along ethnic/religeous lines while terrorism is supposed to cover attacks made for political/ideological purposes. Hate crime charges are to show that attacking people based on racial/religeous prejudice is intolerable. Terrorism charges are to show that the use of violence to meet political/ideological ends is intolerable(I am well aware that this would be contradictory to such things as war and I am not arguing such things here so please I would prefer that no one side track us in that direction thank you:smile:).

TheStatutoryApe said:
Why must people be targeted for you to consider it terrorism if people can be terrorized and coerced via indirect attacks?(and thank you for starting to answer some of my questions:smile:)
The department of homeland security can terrorize the nation by raising the terror alert. It comes down to intent. Even if the bombings don't harm anyone, they have the potential to. So if people are being harmed, then even an attack were no one is harmed would still be a terrorist act.

In the case of the so called "eco terrorists" there is a track record of taking great care not to harm anyone. I suppose people could still be terrified, but would be a somewhat irrational fear, since there is no intent to harm them.

Skyhunter said:
The department of homeland security can terrorize the nation by raising the terror alert. It comes down to intent. Even if the bombings don't harm anyone, they have the potential to. So if people are being harmed, then even an attack were no one is harmed would still be a terrorist act.
In the case of the so called "eco terrorists" there is a track record of taking great care not to harm anyone. I suppose people could still be terrified, but would be a somewhat irrational fear, since there is no intent to harm them.
The legal definitions in review by the UN include terrorism perpetrated by a state.
My arguments have been purely based on intent. If you think that the US is terrorizing it's citizens then maybe you should send a plea for help to the UN.
As far as this fear supposedly being irrational none of the "victims" can know that these people don't want to hurt them. They can't even know for sure that the perpetrators of the crime were in fact members of an organization who had their best interests in mind. All they know for sure is that someone bombed their work place. Most people would consider worry over such an event a rather legitimate fear and the law considers it as such too.