Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oxidizing power of potassium chlorate vs. nitrate

1. Apr 18, 2008 #1

Mk

I was wondering how much stronger potassium chlorate is vs. potassium nitrate in oxidizing power, and how to look up the information for myself next time if possible. Thanks :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2008 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Find the reduction potential for the anions and compare.

4. Apr 19, 2008 #3

Mk

I know my elements and took high school chemistry, but I tried looking up what you said and it's a little bit over my head. Could you explain it a different way?

5. Apr 19, 2008 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Standard reduction potentials are basically values of electrochemical potentials versus a standard hydrogen electrode, as you may know if an agent is labeled a reducing agent in an chemistry equation it becomes oxidized - it is the electron donor. The opposite applies for an oxidizing agent - it is responsible for taking away the electrons. Standard hydrogen electrodes are given the value of zero and an galvanic electrochemical setup is designed with it at the cathode and an anode setup with the oxidizing agent of your choice and then the voltage difference is measured between the anode and the cathode. The greater the value of this voltage the better the anode agent is as an oxidizing agent in a relative sense.

From what I remember, the more positive the potential, the better the oxidizing agent.

6. Apr 24, 2008 #5

Mk

Man, I don't know. I guess I get the answer my question asks for but, I was hoping for an integer or something.

7. Apr 24, 2008 #6
    i have some standard electrode values.

OCl[tex]^{-}_{(aq)}[/tex] + H[tex]^{+}_{(aq)}[/tex] + e[tex]^{-}[/tex] [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]Cl[tex]_{2(aq)}[/tex] + 2H[tex]_{2}[/tex]O[tex]_{(l)}[/tex]

emf = + 1.64 V

NO[tex]^{-}_{3(aq)}[/tex] + 3H[tex]^{+}_{(aq)}[/tex] + 2e[tex]^{-}[/tex] [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] HNO[tex]_{2(aq)}[/tex] + H[tex]_{2}[/tex]O[tex]_{(l)}[/tex]

emf = + 0.94 V

therefore, the chlorate(1) is a stronger oxidising agent.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  8. Apr 25, 2008 #7
    Chlorate is

[tex]ClO_3^{-}[/tex]

not

[tex]ClO^{-}[/tex]

9. Apr 25, 2008 #8
    oooops.... yeah it is ClO3-

10. Apr 26, 2008 #9

Mk

Does this mean it is 1.7x stronger?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?