Optimizing Hydro Turbine Efficiency for Pressure-Only Operation

• Thread starter Mike Nagle
  • Start date
In summary, the formula P=n*p*g*h*i represents the power equation for a hydro turbine, with n as the turbine efficiency, p as the density of water, g as the acceleration of gravity, h as the head, and i as the flow rate. The formula can be modified to P=r*g*h, where r represents the water density and h represents the head. However, since it is not possible to build a 100% efficient machine, the original formula must include an efficiency factor and a measure of time.
Mike Nagle
P=n*p*g*h*i "Help"

This is the power equation for a hydro turbine.
P=power
n=turbine efficiency
p=density of watter (kg/m3)
g=acceleration of gravity (9.81m/s2)
h=head(m)
i= flow rate (m3/s)

What I want to know is how to change this for running a turbine with water pressure only

P=r*g*h

P=pressure
r=water density
h=head(m)

Can anyone help with this so I can save the world

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you are asking. Your original formula b]is[/b] for a turbine run by water pressure. How do want to change it? In your second formula you've just taken out the "turbine efficiency" and "flow rate". It is not possible to build any 100% efficient machine so you must have some "efficiency" factor. And since "power" is "rate of doing work", you will have to have some measure of time- that's what the "flow rate" gave you.

Sorry I'm not as good at this stuff as some of you people are. The numbers I'm using are
P=1000MW
n=90%
p=1.03*1000
h=100m
i=?
the second formula is for pressure and I don't know if that's needed?

Oh, you are using "P" to mean two different things- that was confusing me. In the second equation r = density of water is the same as p (I suspect it was [itex]\rho[/itex]) in the first equation. So the second equation is incorporated into the first- that's another thing that was confusing me.

Power= n*p*g*h*i = n*i*(pgh)= n*i*Pressure.

1. What does the equation P=n*p*g*h*i represent?

The equation P=n*p*g*h*i represents the pressure at a certain point in a fluid, where n is the number of molecules, p is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the fluid column, and i is the intensity of the gravitational field.

2. Can this equation be used to calculate pressure in any type of fluid?

Yes, this equation can be used to calculate pressure in any type of fluid, as long as the values for n, p, g, h, and i are known for that specific fluid.

3. How is this equation derived?

This equation is derived from the fundamental principles of fluid mechanics, specifically the equation for hydrostatic pressure, which states that the pressure at a certain depth in a fluid is directly proportional to the density, acceleration due to gravity, and height of the fluid column at that point.

4. What units are typically used for the variables in this equation?

The units used for the variables in this equation depend on the specific system of units being used. However, in the SI system, n is measured in molecules/m^3, p is measured in kg/m^3, g is measured in m/s^2, h is measured in meters, and i is dimensionless.

5. Can this equation be used to calculate pressure at any point in a fluid?

No, this equation can only be used to calculate pressure at a specific point in a fluid where all the values for n, p, g, h, and i are known. It cannot be used for non-uniform fluids or for calculating pressure at a specific depth within a fluid.