Evaluating ∑ln(n)/n: Bounded Values & n\geq3

• Thread starter negation
  • Start date
In summary: Therefore, the function is not strictly increasing on the interval [1,∞). As for the definition of strictly positive, it means that the function is always positive and never equals 0 on its domain. In this context, it means that the function is always greater than 0 on [1,∞).
negation
In determining whether ∑ln(n)/n converges or diverges, where n=[0,∞], ln(n)/n must be evaluated at the upper and lower bound. My notes breezed through this part without much explanation on finding the bounded values for ln(n)/n. I suspect it might have something to do with squeeze theorem.
Or rather, why is n [itex]\geq 3[/itex] a good value?
(I'm not sure if this should be homework because technically it isn't but some clarification on the question I have would be great!)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
negation said:
In determining whether ∑ln(n)/n converges or diverges, where n=[0,∞], ln(n)/n must be evaluated at the upper and lower bound. My notes breezed through this part without much explanation on finding the bounded values for ln(n)/n. I suspect it might have something to do with squeeze theorem.
Or rather, why is n [itex]\geq 3[/itex] a good value?
(I'm not sure if this should be homework because technically it isn't but some clarification on the question I have would be great!)

Let [itex]N \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. If [itex]f : [N, \infty) \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is a strictly decreasing strictly positive function, then [itex]\sum_{n=N}^M f(n)[/itex] can be bounded by [tex]
\int_{N}^M f(x)\,dx \leq \sum_{n=N}^M f(n) \leq f(N) + \int_{N+1}^M f(x-1)\,dx
= f(N) + \int_N^{M-1} f(x)\,dx.[/tex] To see this, draw the graphs of [itex]f(x)[/itex], [itex]f([x])[/itex] and [itex]f(x-1)[/itex], where [itex][x][/itex] is the greatest integer less than or equal to [itex]x[/itex] and compare the areas under each. Thus by the squeeze theorem, [tex]
\lim_{M \to \infty} \int_{N}^M f(x)\,dx \leq \lim_{M \to \infty}\sum_{n=N}^M f(n) \leq
f(N) + \lim_{M \to \infty} \int_N^{M-1} f(x)\,dx \leq f(N) + \lim_{M \to \infty} \int_N^M f(x)\,dx[/tex] so that the sum converges if and only if the integral converges.

[itex]\ln(x)/x[/itex] is not strictly decreasing or strictly positive on [itex][1,\infty)[/itex] and isn't even defined for [itex]x = 0[/itex]. It is strictly increasing on [itex](0, e][/itex] and is then strictly decreasing and strictly positive on [itex][e, \infty)[/itex]. Thus we must take [itex]N = 3[/itex] and split the sum as [tex]
\lim_{M \to \infty} \sum_{n=1}^M \frac{\ln(n)}n = \frac{\ln(2)}2 + \lim_{M \to \infty} \sum_{n=3}^M\frac{\ln(n)}n.[/tex]

Last edited:
ln(n)/n > 1/n (n>2). ∑1/n diverges, therefore ∑ln(n)/n diverges.

pasmith said:
Let [itex]N \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. If [itex]f : [N, \infty) \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is a strictly decreasing strictly positive function, then [itex]\sum_{n=N}^M f(n)[/itex] can be bounded by [tex]
\int_{N}^M f(x)\,dx \leq \sum_{n=N}^M f(n) \leq f(N) + \int_{N+1}^M f(x-1)\,dx
= f(N) + \int_N^{M-1} f(x)\,dx.[/tex] To see this, draw the graphs of [itex]f(x)[/itex], [itex]f([x])[/itex] and [itex]f(x-1)[/itex], where [itex][x][/itex] is the greatest integer less than or equal to [itex]x[/itex] and compare the areas under each. Thus by the squeeze theorem, [tex]
\lim_{M \to \infty} \int_{N}^M f(x)\,dx \leq \lim_{M \to \infty}\sum_{n=N}^M f(n) \leq
f(N) + \lim_{M \to \infty} \int_N^{M-1} f(x)\,dx \leq f(N) + \lim_{M \to \infty} \int_N^M f(x)\,dx[/tex] so that the sum converges if and only if the integral converges.

[itex]\ln(x)/x[/itex] is not strictly decreasing or strictly positive on [itex][1,\infty)[/itex] and isn't even defined for [itex]x = 0[/itex]. It is strictly increasing on [itex](0, e][/itex] and is then strictly decreasing and strictly positive on [itex][e, \infty)[/itex]. Thus we must take [itex]N = 3[/itex] and split the sum as [tex]
\lim_{M \to \infty} \sum_{n=1}^M \frac{\ln(n)}n = \frac{\ln(2)}2 + \lim_{M \to \infty} \sum_{n=3}^M\frac{\ln(n)}n.[/tex]

Hi

Why isn't ln(x)/x strictly increasing on the domain [1,∞)?
ln(x)/x - ln(x-1)/(x-1) gives a positive increment and continues on as our domain tends towards infinity. Or is it categourically "not strictly decreasing" because it grows too slow?
To begin with, what is the definitition of strictly positive in this context?

ln(x)/x is decreasing -> 0.

What is the purpose of evaluating ∑ln(n)/n?

The purpose of evaluating ∑ln(n)/n is to determine the convergence or divergence of the series. This is important in mathematical analysis and is often used in various fields of science and engineering.

What does the symbol ∑ represent in the expression ∑ln(n)/n?

The symbol ∑ represents a summation, indicating that the expression ∑ln(n)/n is a sum of multiple terms. In this case, the value of n increases from 3 to infinity, with each term being ln(n)/n.

Why is it important to specify bounded values and n≥3 in evaluating ∑ln(n)/n?

Specifying bounded values and n≥3 ensures that the series is well-defined and avoids potential issues with infinity or division by zero. It also allows for easier evaluation and analysis of the series.

What is the significance of ln(n)/n in the expression ∑ln(n)/n?

The term ln(n)/n is the general term of the series and determines the behavior of the series. In this case, it approaches 0 as n increases, indicating that the series is likely to converge.

What are some real-world applications of evaluating ∑ln(n)/n?

Evaluating ∑ln(n)/n is commonly used in statistics, probability, and finance to determine the convergence of series. It is also used in various areas of science and engineering, such as signal processing, control theory, and computational physics.