Paddle Boarding: Popular at Waveless Beach

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, paddle boarding is a sport that is getting more and more popular. According to the people I talked to, it is a way to get exercise and see scenery. Some people prefer canoes, but paddle boarding is still a fun activity.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This morning they were talking about something called "paddle boarding" on the radio. Apparently it's getting popular down at the "waveless" beach area near where I live.

Do you know what this is? Have you tried it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
This morning they were talking about something called "paddle boarding" on the radio. Apparently it's getting popular down at the "waveless" beach area near where I live.

Do you know what this is? Have you tried it?
I think it's a way to extract information from toddler terrorists.

jimmysnyder said:
I think it's a way to extract information from toddler terrorists.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think this might be what they are talking about:
http://www.paddlesurfhawaii.com/upimages/ajen1.jpg

aka Paddle surfing

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh what a cute little girl. (Ditch the brat, though!):uhh:

Its a stupid trend for people who think they can surf.

hypatia said:
Its not "new" at all, which suprised me. Woohoo I could do that here in the Great Lakes!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddleboarding

I think I want to try it. It's supposed to be good exercise. I need to find a place that rents boards.

I saw people doing that in HI. Looked like fun, and they really were getting around quite well (and, yeah, it was mostly places with calm waters where the beaches were protected from heavy waves by rocks or reefs). I think I'd still prefer a canoe though...didn't look like there was any place to secure the beer on those surfboards with paddles.

It would work even better seated on the board with a kayak paddle. You could scoot around pretty well.

Maybe it is like training wheels for beginning surfers:cool:

edward said:
Maybe it is like training wheels for beginning surfers:cool:

:rofl: Though, I was wondering how much you needed to balance on those. I don't know if they pretty much are a regular surfboard, or if it's modified some way to make it easier to just stand and paddle like that without waves. For someone like me who is not a big fan of waves crashing over my head, it looks like a fun way to play in calmer water.

No luck finding paddleboard rentals yet, but will try again next weekend.

Paddle boarding, a historical perspective. EDIT: The National Geographic Version

Last edited:
edward said:
Paddle boarding, a historical perspective.

http://conservationrefugees.org/70.24.17.Crossing%20th

...:redface:...he, um, needs to be a bit more careful when swaddling himself...

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:

OMG I didn't see that. :rofl: :redface::redface:

Last edited:
lisab said:

edward said:
OMG I didn't see that. :rofl:
:rofl::rofl::eek:

I just prefer my Pyranha s6x kayak. It's so much fun.

binzing said:
I just prefer my Pyranha s6x kayak. It's so much fun.
I had an early version of the Perception Saber. In class IV-V whitewater, it was like my body was the con on a submarine, with the boat submerged in the foam. Water with a lot of entrained air (decent rapids) is not real buoyant.

Last edited:
Yeah, we ran the Chama river a few weeks ago, and we'd be going through some nice class IIIs and I'd have 10 inches of water ON TOP of my boat. It's great fun.

binzing said:
Yeah, we ran the Chama river a few weeks ago, and we'd be going through some nice class IIIs and I'd have 10 inches of water ON TOP of my boat. It's great fun.
With the sharp rails of the Saber, the underwater dynamics were incredible, but then again the lack of buoyancy and the edginess allowed neat things like pirouettes on eddy-lines, etc. Fun boat!

Mine actually has cut in rails, so its like an inward right angle on both edges. You can even install these fins on it in two different positions to give it better tracking for surfing in big holes.

1. What is paddle boarding?

Paddle boarding is a water sport where the participant stands on a large board and uses a paddle to move across the water.

2. What equipment do I need for paddle boarding?

You will need a paddle board, a paddle, a leash, and a personal flotation device (PFD).

3. Is paddle boarding difficult?

Paddle boarding can be challenging for beginners, but with practice and proper technique, it can become easier. It also depends on the water conditions and your level of physical fitness.

4. Can anyone do paddle boarding?

Yes, anyone can try paddle boarding. It is a low-impact activity that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and fitness levels.

5. Is paddle boarding safe at waveless beaches?

Paddle boarding at waveless beaches is generally considered safe as there are no waves to contend with. However, it is always important to follow safety precautions and wear a PFD in case of unexpected weather changes or accidents.