Calculating the Number of Hands in a Poker Game with Exactly One Pair

• Thread starter Astr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pair
In summary, the problem is that the question asks for the number of different hands, not the number of different cards.
Astr
Im New on this forum, so i hope this is the right place to ask this question. I've tried to solve the problem of finding how many hands are in a poker game with exactly one pair, this way:

I can choose the first card from 52 ways. for the second card I can choose it from 3 ways (to match the pair). For the third card I can choose it from 48 possibilities (for ensure I´ve got no trios in the hand). For the fourth and fifth i can choose them in 44 and 40 different ways, respectively. And because order is not important I must divide for 5! (ways of permuting 5 cards). My (wrong) answer is:

(52x3x48x44x40)/5!=109 824

This is a tenth of the correct answer. Please can you tell what's wrong in the procedure. (English isn't my first language, sorry if I've got some mistakes)

Physics news on Phys.org
I can choose the first card from 52 ways. for the second card I can choose it from 3 ways (to match the pair)...snip...

(52x3...

That gives you too many because a QS + QD is the same pair as QD+SQ.

There are 6 ways to get a pair of (for example) Queens..

QS + QH
QS + QD
QS + QC
QH + QC
QH + QD
QD + QC

but there is a choice of 13 denomination (values) so for pair it's

6 * 13

then the other cards must not have the same value but can be of any suit.

Thank you Cwatters. But I think i avoid the problem QS+QD=QD+QS, dividing by 5!, becasuse that ensures that the order of the 5 cards does not matter.

I can't immediatly see why your method is wrond but continuing from above..

Then the next three cards can have one of 12 other values (3 from 12 = 220) and be from any of 4 suits (4*4*4 = 64)

220 * 16 = 14080

Now that is also 48*44*40/3! so your last part seems ok?

Thank you again, CWatters. Well I know how to solve the problem, and this is out of discussion:
For the pair:
52x3/2!= 78 ways
For the three different cards:
48x44x40/3!=14 080 ways
then: 78x14 080= 1098240 ways to get exactly one pair.
but my problem is: Whats wrong in the procedure i post first?

Astr said:
Im New on this forum, so i hope this is the right place to ask this question. I've tried to solve the problem of finding how many hands are in a poker game with exactly one pair, this way:

I can choose the first card from 52 ways. for the second card I can choose it from 3 ways (to match the pair). For the third card I can choose it from 48 possibilities (for ensure I´ve got no trios in the hand). For the fourth and fifth i can choose them in 44 and 40 different ways, respectively. And because order is not important I must divide for 5! (ways of permuting 5 cards). My (wrong) answer is:

(52x3x48x44x40)/5!=109 824

This is a tenth of the correct answer. Please can you tell what's wrong in the procedure. (English isn't my first language, sorry if I've got some mistakes)

You should not divide by 5!; instead, you should divide by 2! × 3!, because the order of the cards within the pair does not matter and the order within the three non-pairs does not matter. That would give the number of hands as 1098240, as you want.

There are some subtle points here, so let me expand. When counting the hands containing exactly one pair, the person posing the question is distinguishing between hands such as PPNNN, PNNNP, PNNPN, NNNPP, etc., even though the actual cards involved are exactly the same (and so all would be regarded as a *single* hand by a poker player). Basically the question is asking for the number of different ways you could be *dealt* a hand containing a single pair, even though after being dealt the cards you would re-arrange them to your own, personal liking.

Another way to see this is to look at P{pair}, the probability of getting dealt a pair. Suppose, first that we have 2 aces and one each of 2 3 4. The probability, p, of getting that is p = C(4,2)*C(4,1)^3/C(52,5), where C(a,b) = "a choose b" = a!/[b!(a-b)!]. This holds because there are C(4,2) ways to pick 2 aces from 4 and for each of the 2 3 and 4 there are C(4,1) ways to choose the particular card, and because there are C(52,5) says of being dealt a 5-card hand althogether. Now, of course, the pair may not be aces and the non-pairs may not be 2 3 and 4. However, for any choice of ranks, the probability of the pair and the three non-pairs are all the same as the p above. Therefore, P{pair} is p times the number of ways to choose the rank of the pair (13) times the number of ways of choosing the three different ranks from the remaining 12 (which is C(12,3)). Thus, we have
[tex] P\{ \text{pair}\} = \frac{13 \, C(12,3) \, C(4,2) \, C(4,1)^3}{C(52,5)} = \frac{N_p}{C(52,5)},[/tex]
where Np = number of hands containing one pair. Thus, we have
[tex] N_p = 13 \, C(12,3) \, C(4,2) \, C(4,1)^3 = 1098240. [/tex]

RGV

Last edited:
Ray, Thank you for your answer. Can you explain me why i should not divide by 5!, because this is my whole problem. Thanks.

What is a "pair" in poker?

In poker, a "pair" refers to having two cards of the same rank in a player's hand. For example, a pair of aces would be two aces in a player's hand. A pair is a relatively strong hand in poker, but it can be beaten by higher-ranking hands such as three of a kind, a straight, or a flush.

How do you determine the value of a pair in poker?

The value of a pair in poker is determined by the rank of the cards in the pair. For example, a pair of aces would have a higher value than a pair of kings. If two players both have a pair, the value of the pair will be compared to determine the winner. If both players have the same pair, then the value of their remaining cards will be compared.

Can a pair be beaten in poker?

Yes, a pair can be beaten by higher-ranking hands such as three of a kind, a straight, or a flush. In fact, there are several hands in poker that can beat a pair. This is why it is important to not solely rely on a pair when playing poker and to be aware of the potential for other players to have stronger hands.

What is the likelihood of being dealt a pair in poker?

The likelihood of being dealt a pair in poker depends on the number of players at the table and the number of decks being used. In a standard game of Texas Hold'em with 52 cards and 9 players, the chances of being dealt a pair in the first two cards is approximately 5.88%. However, the chances of being dealt a pair increase with each subsequent card dealt.

How can you improve your chances of getting a pair in poker?

Since the likelihood of being dealt a pair in poker is largely based on chance, there is no guaranteed way to improve your chances. However, some players may choose to play more hands or use strategies such as bluffing to increase their chances of getting a pair. Ultimately, the best way to improve your chances is to have a good understanding of the game and to make informed decisions based on the cards you are dealt.