Palin pick an insult to our intelligence

• News
  • Thread starter physucsc11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intelligence
In summary: I guess you could say that I was surprised that the information released about her turned out to be such a non-issue to the American people. In summary, the VP pick of Sarah Palin has been largely successful in attracting women voters to the McCain campaign. However, the media's initial response was mostly in support of Mrs. Palin, and there was little questioning of her ability or experience.
LowlyPion said:
That's perfectly acceptable for Sunday School. But unfortunately for your point we are talking about publicly funded education.

With no responsible scientific basis for such creationist nonsense, Palin's even suggesting that it might be discussed within the context of science is irresponsible.

Wheels also said that it should be left to the states to decide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
Wheels also said that it should be left to the states to decide.

Science education isn't a matter of States Rights. Imposing faith based curriculum as science is crossing the line set forth in the Establishment clause which is a Right that inures to all people individually.

Recall that the Constitution is established generally to protect the many from the tyranny of the few as well as the few from the tyranny of the many.

WheelsRCool said:
It can be healthy debate to listen to both sides
Both sides of what? The line separating sense from nonsense?
, but again, that's why I'd leave it to the states personally.
That only allows a different person to be responsible for admitting crackpottery into school.

The Federal government only has a say about Federally funded schools. If the States want to support their own education system, then they would be free to choose the curriculum [provided that it met minimum standards].

Being that we place great value on the separation of church and State, it would be inappropriate for public schools to get into the business of teaching a faith based explanation for life. We have churches for that, but apparently this isn't good enough for some people.

Saying that the state allowing abortion might be a gateway to eugenics is indeed a huge slippery slope fallacy - the two are not related at all.

One decides what to do with embryos, or when humans are in their mothers' bodies, the other decides what to do with them when they are OUTSIDE Of it. By that logic someone who was against masturbation - and there are religious fundamentalists who are against it - could make the leap between allowing that and eugenics.

It's a huge slippery slope fallacy, as even more evidenced to someone who's actually read Mein Kampf - Hitler was PRO-LIFE, so by the same logic he's using, we could say pro-life leads to eugenics - because you believe the state gets to determine when a certain person is OR is NOT life, because, when the state is pro-life, it is also determining the value of life.

LowlyPion was right to point out WRC's logic error.

Well, Palin's DOT has spent $25M of Federal tax money to build a 3.2 mile long gravel road to "nowhere". The "bridge to nowhere" project is still alive, despite Palin's claims to have stopped it, with 5 different bridges and 3 alternate ferry routes under consideration. We have some pretty severe weather extremes in Maine and we have to build to some pretty stringent standards, but if it cost us almost $8M/mile to build gravel roads, this state would be uninhabited. Palin LOVES pork.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080921/ap_on_re_us/road_to_nowhere;_ylt=Aktw407ppfCa_vu9S1sCTQGs0NUE

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
Well, Palin's DOT has spent $25M of Federal tax money to build a 3.2 mile long gravel road to "nowhere". The "bridge to nowhere" project is still alive, despite Palin's claims to have stopped it, with 5 different bridges and 3 alternate ferry routes under consideration. We have some pretty severe weather extremes in Maine and we have to build to some pretty stringent standards, but if it cost us almost $8M/mile to build gravel roads, this state would be uninhabited. Palin LOVES pork.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080921/ap_on_re_us/road_to_nowhere;_ylt=Aktw407ppfCa_vu9S1sCTQGs0NUE

She may love pork, but to be fair Maine doesn't have permafrost. That makes road building much more expensive than in the lower 48.

LowlyPion said:
Surely you appreciate the flaw in this logic.

Telling someone they have no choice is imposing belief. Telling someone they have a choice leaves them with a personal decision and not a mandate that they may choose only one way.

How do you harmonize your beliefs about letting states determine minimum wages for themselves and not force one on them and enforcing anti-abortion on someone?

The baby has no choice. I am sure the baby would want to live. That certainly is imposing ones belief on someone.

Ivan Seeking said:
The Federal government only has a say about Federally funded schools. If the States want to support their own education system, then they would be free to choose the curriculum [provided that it met minimum standards].

Not entirely true. The Constitution (Article VI, Clause 2) supersedes state and local authority in respect to such things as the Establishment clause.

In this regards the States or Counties are not free to introduce Faith Based Science into ANY public school. On the other side of things Private Schools are exempted and protected in such syllabi by the Free Exercise Clause.

wildman said:
The baby has no choice. I am sure the baby would want to live. That certainly is imposing ones belief on someone.

What baby? Cells that are a part of the mother? Does State intrusion take dominion over ovums and sperm as well? Is this to be Palin's position if she ever attains the power to impose life decisions on others?

The problem with the whole discussion about anti-abortion is that for the most part it is inexorably intertwined within the roles that men and women play in the reproductive cycle. Given the travails of gestating and nursing and raising a child, I'm not sure that men should have any say in the matter at all up until birth. It's not their bodies they are talking about.

wildman said:
She may love pork, but to be fair Maine doesn't have permafrost. That makes road building much more expensive than in the lower 48.
Well, to be fair, coastal southern Alaska (Where Ketchikan is located.) has less severe winters than much of Maine, and there is no permafrost there, as shown in this map. The permafrost-free areas are white.
http://nsidc.org/fgdc/maps/alaska_browse.html

No that's exactly what it is. Don't even pretend otherwise. It's specious and irresponsible to suggest that there is any progression to state sponsored genocide or genetic purification as a consequence of giving a woman a choice.

You are allowing the state to determine the instrinsic value of human life, which isn't a good thing.

Palin is apparently just such a dangerous kind of person in this regard as evidenced by her requirement that rape victims in Wasilla would have to pay for any rape kit work-ups. The State of Alaska disagreed with Palin's choice and mandated all districts must pay. An example of religious activism masquerading as a fiscal conservative.

According to the current mayor, there is no evidence that anyone was ever charged for a rape kit in Wasilla during Palin's administration or that Governor Palin ever supported this policy:

http://www.cityofwasilla.com/index.aspx?page=136

What is interesting is that this policy does still seem to take place in some of the lower 48, including Illinois: http://www.usnews.com/blogs/on-heal...rape-victims-can-be-hurt-financially-too.html

That's perfectly acceptable for Sunday School. But unfortunately for your point we are talking about publicly funded education.

With no responsible scientific basis for such creationist nonsense, Palin's even suggesting that it might be discussed within the context of science is irresponsible.

That is a good point, but remember, she never pushed for it.

Science education isn't a matter of States Rights. Imposing faith based curriculum as science is crossing the line set forth in the Establishment clause which is a Right that inures to all people individually.

Recall that the Constitution is established generally to protect the many from the tyranny of the few as well as the few from the tyranny of the many.

That is a good point; however, how do we regard things like global warming alarmism, for example...do we also need to completely ban any and all talk of environmental catastrophe from global warming as many children are being taught in the schools today... (for example some schools showing children Al Gore's film).

I'm not saying environmentalism or global warming are not scientific, but much of the climate change fearmongering I would say is akin to the "End Times" fearmongering certain folks on the Right engage in.

Also, even though one may disagree with creationism, what about discussing the flaws of the theory of evolution, and the alternatives, and what is wrong with them all...? This I understand is different than actually "teaching" creationism itself though.

Both sides of what? The line separating sense from nonsense?

How do you "know" if something is nonsense or sense though? Back during the 1930s, you were considered a complete crackpot if you didn't believe in the eugenics movement. Schools also taught children that the continents did not move, because science said so. Most economists thought it made no sense to claim free-market capitalism with little government was workable.

Now I'm not claiming creationism has any basis, or even that it should be taught (religion) but let children just debate things with each other. We should not tell children what and how to think, instead of letting them learn to think critically on their own, it seems.

Being that we place great value on the separation of church and State, it would be inappropriate for public schools to get into the business of teaching a faith based explanation for life. We have churches for that, but apparently this isn't good enough for some people.

How do we know what things are totally "faith-based" though? What about if something does seem to be totally faith-based, but its alternative explanation also has flaws...? Evolution is still a theory, just the most widely-accepted theory; there are alternative explanations as well, albeit lesser-known, that are not creationist. I say debate/discuss them all.

Environmentalism is based on science, so is climate-change, but there are points where that becomes just as faith-based as a religion as well.

Saying that the state allowing abortion might be a gateway to eugenics is indeed a huge slippery slope fallacy - the two are not related at all.

One decides what to do with embryos, or when humans are in their mothers' bodies, the other decides what to do with them when they are OUTSIDE Of it. By that logic someone who was against masturbation - and there are religious fundamentalists who are against it - could make the leap between allowing that and eugenics.

I disagree. What both decide is the instrinsic value of a human life. Whether that life is inside or outside of the womb should be irrelevant. And humans aren't embryos just when inside of the mother; they are embryos initially, then become fetuses.

It's a huge slippery slope fallacy, as even more evidenced to someone who's actually read Mein Kampf - Hitler was PRO-LIFE, so by the same logic he's using, we could say pro-life leads to eugenics - because you believe the state gets to determine when a certain person is OR is NOT life, because, when the state is pro-life, it is also determining the value of life.

The Nazis were far from being pro-life, and the entire eugenics movement was completely rejected by the Catholic Church, so I doubt Hitler was pro-life either, aside from maybe on paper because he needed to win the Catholic vote to get elected to power. For being pro-life, his party the Nazis sure had a penchant for killing the "weaker" races and aborting anyone "imperfect."

The state being "pro-life" does not mean it determines whether someone "is or is not" a life. That is what the pro-choice viewpoint allows, in order to protect the right of the woman.

What baby? Cells that are a part of the mother? Does State intrusion take dominion over ovums and sperm as well? Is this to be Palin's position if she ever attains the power to impose life decisions on others?

So after the first trimester then, when it starts to develop arms and legs and a brain, it's still "just cells" as far as you are concerned...? This is why I can support abortion for the first trimester, but afterwards I reject it.

The problem with the whole discussion about anti-abortion is that for the most part it is inexorably intertwined within the roles that men and women play in the reproductive cycle. Given the travails of gestating and nursing and raising a child, I'm not sure that men should have any say in the matter at all up until birth. It's not their bodies they are talking about.

And after a certain point, neither is it the woman's.

Personally, I think both sides make good points.

Palin LOVES pork.

If she loved pork, I don't think she would have vetoed so much. Remember, Sarah Palin was resisted on this "Bridge to Nowhere"; others in her state wanted it built.

WheelsRCool said:
If she loved pork, I don't think she would have vetoed so much. Remember, Sarah Palin was resisted on this "Bridge to Nowhere"; others in her state wanted it built.
The actual documented facts are against you. She rallied for the bridge to nowhere and insisted that the project be stepped up while AK's congressional delegation was senior enough and powerful enough to demand the earmarks. It was ONLY after federal support for the diamond-encrusted platinum bridge started tightening up and AK's percentage of the project got unsupportable that she dropped her support. Now, you should note that she did NOT kill the project, as she claims over and over again. She stopped cheerleading for it, but left it alive, and it is STILL alive, with many bridges and alternate ferry lines still in active planning. I can supply links from AK DOT documents (and have in other posts) if you are dead-set on pushing Palin's lies in this thread.

Edit: here is one of the posts, with links to a map of the project (note the date and see if the "bridge to nowhere" is dead or if Palin is lying). Note that the spokesman of the Alaska DOT is complaining that the press is NOT reporting that the project is alive and well, and simply reprints Palin's assertions that it is dead and that SHE killed it. Palin never gave back any of the money for the bridge that she claims to have said "no thanks" to, but kept it all, and kept the project alive and running. Politicians lie - some just lie bigger and better than others.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1874612&postcount=179

Last edited:
WheelsRCool said:
but let children just debate things with each other. We should not tell children what and how to think, instead of letting them learn to think critically on their own, it seems.
That is not the purpose of high school/elementary. At that age children do not have enough knowledge to debate scientific topics. The purpose of high school science class is to give children a broad basis in the accepted scientific theories. Once they have earned a university degree (or two, or three) in biology, then they will be qualified to ``debate things with each other''.
WheelsRCool said:
How do we know what things are totally "faith-based" though?
Seems to me it was proven conclusively in a court in Dover, Pennsylvania...
WheelsRCool said:
What about if something does seem to be totally faith-based, but its alternative explanation also has flaws...?
If it's `totally faith based', as opposed to `evidence based', it doesn't belong in a publicly funded science classroom (as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't belong in any science classroom, but if parents are willing to pay to handicap their children, I won't try to stop them).
WheelsRCool said:
Evolution is still a theory, just the most widely-accepted theory; there are alternative explanations as well, albeit lesser-known, that are not creationist.
Care to provide some examples or references to back up this claim?
WheelsRCool said:
I say debate/discuss them all.
At a university level.

WheelsRCool said:
You are allowing the state to determine the instrinsic value of human life, which isn't a good thing.

This is a totally false statement ipso facto, if it is a woman's choice.

To prohibit the choice is the imposition of the determination of intrinsic value. It is not your choice to impose on a woman.

It's a rather inconsistent notion compared to your desire for state's rights over Federal Authority.

WheelsRCool said:
According to the current mayor, there is no evidence that anyone was ever charged for a rape kit in Wasilla during Palin's administration or that Governor Palin ever supported this policy:

Please provide an actual link to the specific assertion that none was ever charged. Linking generally to Wasilla documents is not considered good form.

LowlyPion said:
Not entirely true. The Constitution (Article VI, Clause 2) supersedes state and local authority in respect to such things as the Establishment clause.

In this regards the States or Counties are not free to introduce Faith Based Science into ANY public school. On the other side of things Private Schools are exempted and protected in such syllabi by the Free Exercise Clause.

Yipes! Yes indeed, I was thinking of private schools. States schools are still bound by the separation of Church and State.

WheelsRCool said:
... how do we regard things like global warming alarmism, for example...do we also need to completely ban any and all talk of environmental catastrophe from global warming as many children are being taught in the schools today... (for example some schools showing children Al Gore's film).

I'm not saying environmentalism or global warming are not scientific, but much of the climate change fearmongering I would say is akin to the "End Times" fearmongering certain folks on the Right engage in.

You careen recklessly between things that are not related. There is nothing faith based about examining global climatological data and refining models that attempt to anticipate trends in evidence we have before us.

Also, even though one may disagree with creationism, what about discussing the flaws of the theory of evolution, and the alternatives, and what is wrong with them all...? This I understand is different than actually "teaching" creationism itself though.

Unfortunately for your point, creationism and its attempted resurrection under the guise of "Intelligent design" don't offer any scientific insight into evolution and natural selection.

Discuss it all you want at a Bible College.

The big concern here is that Palin would stand to permit such unscientific discussion and impose upon those that don't share your faith based beliefs a discussion of non-science under the guise of science in public school settings - which as it turns out is a violation of the Establishment Clause.

Now, you should note that she did NOT kill the project, as she claims over and over again. She stopped cheerleading for it, but left it alive, and it is STILL alive, with many bridges and alternate ferry lines still in active planning. I can supply links from AK DOT documents (and have in other posts) if you are dead-set on pushing Palin's lies in this thread.

How is the bridge still "alive?" Killing the "Bridge to Nowhere" I wouldn't think means ending all infrastructure projects. She also enacted the second largest cut to the construction budget in the state's history.

The McCain website also has some information on it: http://www.johnmccain.com/McCainReport/Read.aspx?guid=ab24d6d6-f796-4851-99ac-451d7567a5cc

Palin never gave back any of the money for the bridge that she claims to have said "no thanks" to, but kept it all, and kept the project alive and running. Politicians lie - some just lie bigger and better than others.

From what I understand, the earmark was part of the 2005 Transportation Bill that was funded by gasoline taxes and not funded by general revenue. Federal gas tax revenues are returned to the states via the various transportation bills passed by Congress. If this is the case, the revenue that Palin “refused to return to Washington” was made up of Federal gas taxes paid by Alaskans. It did not “belong” to Washington.

That is not the purpose of high school/elementary. At that age children do not have enough knowledge to debate scientific topics. The purpose of high school science class is to give children a broad basis in the accepted scientific theories. Once they have earned a university degree (or two, or three) in biology, then they will be qualified to ``debate things with each other''.

But says who though...? So by your standard, unless you have no degree in biology, you should just take scientists at their word and not question anything they say...? One doesn't need a college degree to debate things necessarily.

I can understand giving students the accepted scientific theories, but I see nothing wrong with encouraging debate; in my high school chemistry class, the teacher even said to us, "So are you guys just going to take my word about all this stuff on protons, neutrons, electrons, and so forth...? Do you REALLY believe this stuff?" He wanted us to think critically about it.

Of course, the public school system isn't designed to produce critical thinkers, it is based off of the Prussian system, which was designed to produce soldiers and employees.

Care to provide some examples or references to back up this claim?

Lamarckism for microorganisms.

This is a totally false statement ipso facto, if it is a woman's choice.

Who says it is a woman's choice though? On the one hand, you can say the embyro is just some cells, no different than a peanut. On the other hand, you can say that it is the beginning of a human life, and as such has rights. Two different ways of seeing it (not saying I agree 100% with either).

To prohibit the choice is the imposition of the determination of intrinsic value. It is not your choice to impose on a woman.

I both agree and disagree, if that makes any sense (I don't think it is anyone's choice to impose on the woman, but I also think the state shouldn't determine whether an embryo is a human life or not either).

It's a rather inconsistent notion compared to your desire for state's rights over Federal Authority.

The folks who want Roe v. Wade overturned want the states to determine individually whether abortion should be legal or not (not saying I support this view).

Please provide an actual link to the specific assertion that none was ever charged. Linking generally to Wasilla documents is not considered good form.

Sorry about that, click on the link "City Documents - Recently Requested - Former Mayor Palin," then click the PDF: "Billing of sexual assault victims for forensic exams"

LowlyPion said:
You careen recklessly between things that are not related. There is nothing faith based about examining global climatological data and refining models that attempt to anticipate trends in evidence we have before us.

That isn't what they teach about climate change in elementary school.

Unfortunately for your point, creationism and its attempted resurrection under the guise of "Intelligent design" don't offer any scientific insight into evolution and natural selection.

Discuss it all you want at a Bible College.

It is this mindset that can lead to some of the most horrendous blunders in knowledge throughout history. No matter how ludicrous an alternative explanation may sound, you should always allow discussion of both views so people can think critically about them.

The big concern here is that Palin would stand to permit such unscientific discussion and impose upon those that don't share your faith based beliefs a discussion of non-science under the guise of science in public school settings - which as it turns out is a violation of the Establishment Clause.

I have no such faith-based beliefs; I believe in evolution; I do not understand how anyone could really believe in creationism or intelligent design, even if they are a staunch religious person. I'm just making a point.

Governor Palin has shown that she will not push for creationist teachings in the educational system though.

WheelsRCool said:

That's proof of nothing but compliance with Alaska Statutes Title18, Chapter68, Section 40. The statistics cited are for only the last 2 years she was Mayor, not the first 4.

Since you are interested in spading over Palin's record of instituting Right Wing Faith Agendas, are you suggesting that Wasilla Police Chief Charlie Fannon whom Palin installed in office on her becoming Mayor is lying, when he said: "In the past we’ve charged the cost of exams to the victims insurance company when possible. I just don't want to see any more burden put on the taxpayer" ?

The article in the Frontiersman goes on to say:
Frontiersman said:
According to Fannon, the new law will cost the Wasilla Police Department approximately $5,000 to $14,000 a year to collect evidence for sexual assault cases.
Your citation is at best disingenuous.

WheelsRCool said:
It is this mindset that can lead to some of the most horrendous blunders in knowledge throughout history. No matter how ludicrous an alternative explanation may sound, you should always allow discussion of both views so people can think critically about them.
No one is stifling free speech, nor are they interfering in the practice of anyone's Religion. The proscribed activity is mixing faith based pseudo-science within the context of Science. I see no advantage that accrues to a free society if Faith based fallible Ignorance is encouraged in schools as a matter of public policy.
Governor Palin has shown that she will not push for creationist teachings in the educational system though.
With her stretching of the Truth in so many other areas, I choose not to believe that in the slightest. The fact that she expresses satisfaction with it being discussed, exhibits Ignorance of the Constitution and an apparent readiness to cast it aside to suit her faith based beliefs.

WheelsRCool said:
How is the bridge still "alive?" Killing the "Bridge to Nowhere" I wouldn't think means ending all infrastructure projects. She also enacted the second largest cut to the construction budget in the state's history.
The bridge to nowhere project is still alive and I have linked official statements to AK DOT officials. You have done nothing except flail around and proffer unsubstantiated GOP blather. Please start offering real substantive references to back up your claims.

That's proof of nothing but compliance with Alaska Statutes Title18, Chapter68, Section 40. The statistics cited are for only the last 2 years she was Mayor, not the first 4.

But it says that they did a PD review too and came up empty:

"A review of files and case reports within the Wasilla Police Department has found no record of sexual assault victims billed for forensic exams."

Since you are interested in spading over Palin's record of instituting Right Wing Faith Agendas, are you suggesting that Wasilla Police Chief Charlie Fannon whom Palin installed in office on her becoming Mayor is lying, when he said: "In the past we’ve charged the cost of exams to the victims insurance company when possible. I just don't want to see any more burden put on the taxpayer" ?

Yes, but he also said the following: "Ultimately it is the criminal who should bear the burden of the added costs;" “The forensic exam is just one part of the equation;" “I’d like to see the courts make these people pay restitution for these things.” http://www.frontiersman.com/articles/2000/05/23/news.txt

What it seems is he wanted to have the criminals pay the bill and not the state, but he went about it in a poor manner. He was having the victim or state provide the money for the kit and then they would go after the criminal in court. However no person was ever charged from what I can see. I do not think Palin was aware of this; it was 100% the call of the Chief. He needed to cut some budget items so he cut funding for rape kits roughly in half, but they were still paid out from what I can see.

No one is stifling free speech, nor are they interfering in the practice of anyone's Religion. The proscribed activity is mixing faith based pseudo-science within the context of Science. I see no advantage that accrues to a free society if Faith based fallible Ignorance is encouraged in schools as a matter of public policy.

I agree; my main point I guess is just always to encourage students to be critical. There was a previous thread here where it was mentioned that evolution is like gravity, we know it exists, it's just "how" it functions that is questioned. But sometimes there are pieces of knowledge that will "seem" to be pure common sense, even to the brightest minds, that later turn out to be wrong.

With her stretching of the Truth in so many other areas, I choose not to believe that in the slightest. The fact that she expresses satisfaction with it being discussed, exhibits Ignorance of the Constitution and an apparent readiness to cast it aside to suit her faith based beliefs.

From what I can see, all she has said is that she would like creationary theory taught alongside evolution, but never pushed the Alaska State Board of Education to teach it at all.

Also, she has said that if Roe v. Wade was overturned, it isn't the governor's job to ban anything outright, it would be up to the people to discuss: http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Sarah_Palin_Abortion.htm

She is against same-sex marriage, but abides by the Alaska State Constitution: http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Sarah_Palin_Civil_Rights.htm

So I from what I can tell she wouldn't "cast the Constitution aside" for her beliefs (and I myself don't agree with them all). She will abide by what the Constitution says and the people want.

Senator Obama's views towards the Second Amendment I do not agree with, which I think are based partially on beliefs (though not necessarily religious) for him as well: http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Barack_Obama_Gun_Control.htm

Both candidates have flaws.

The bridge to nowhere project is still alive and I have linked official statements to AK DOT officials. You have done nothing except flail around and proffer unsubstantiated GOP blather. Please start offering real substantive references to back up your claims.

According to your link, the Bridge to Nowhere project itself is dead. What is alive is the push to link Ketchikan to its airport via an alternative means, which was what Governor Palin said she supported upon ending the Bridge to Nowhere project:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20908207/

Also ironic is it seems the Alaska Democratic Party credited her for ending the bridge as well: http://www.retireted.com/category/real-estate/gravina-bridge/

This article talks about her vetoing a lot: http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB122100927525717663.html

I agree though that the wording she used regarding the bridge could have been better. The way she worded it, the answer to the question "Did Governor Palin kill the Bridge to Nowhere project?" would have been a solid yes, whereas really it's more a, "Weelllll, yes, but..."

I think it is incorrect to say that she "loves pork" though.

WheelsRCool said:
According to your link, the Bridge to Nowhere project itself is dead. What is alive is the push to link Ketchikan to its airport via an alternative means, which was what Governor Palin said she supported upon ending the Bridge to Nowhere project:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20908207/

Also ironic is it seems the Alaska Democratic Party credited her for ending the bridge as well: http://www.retireted.com/category/real-estate/gravina-bridge/

This article talks about her vetoing a lot: http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB122100927525717663.html

I agree though that the wording she used regarding the bridge could have been better. The way she worded it, the answer to the question "Did Governor Palin kill the Bridge to Nowhere project?" would have been a solid yes, whereas really it's more a, "Weelllll, yes, but..."

I think it is incorrect to say that she "loves pork" though.
The Bridge project is still alive and well, and the original bridge is still one of the bridges under consideration in the $97M planning project. Just look at the AK DOT map that I linked - again, look at the date on that map - that map is only a few months old. The bridge is not dead. The DOT just finished the gravel road to the Ketchikan end of that bridge - at the cost of $8M per mile, or did you miss that?

It's time people stopped listening to campaign rhetoric, and looked at what the candidates are actually doing and have done.

Palin loves to say that she got rid of the governor's cook, which angered her kids. She never tells the truth, which is that she decided to move back to her own house in Wasilla, so the cook in the governor's mansion was not needed. Also, the "cost-cutting" Palin charged Alaska per-diems while she lived in her own house, as well as travel expenses that arose from that personal decision to live in Wasilla.

WheelsRCool said:
But it says that they did a PD review too and came up empty:

That's a disingenuous argument given that they say their records only go back 6 years as mandated, and conveniently now apparently would not include the Palin years.

I do not think Palin was aware of this; it was 100% the call of the Chief. He needed to cut some budget items so he cut funding for rape kits roughly in half, but they were still paid out from what I can see.

When it suits you then she is not quite the executive in charge that you would want to paint in your pretense that she has adequate executive experience. As I said before there's no other way to take it but that it's pushing the Right Wing Faith Based Agenda under the guise of Fiscal Frugality. It's sad how budget cuts can be used in mean-spirited public policy isn't it. That hardly gives any comfort in thinking these other Faith Based beliefs won't as well be pushed as policy.
There was a previous thread here where it was mentioned that evolution is like gravity, we know it exists, it's just "how" it functions that is questioned. But sometimes there are pieces of knowledge that will "seem" to be pure common sense, even to the brightest minds, that later turn out to be wrong.
You've provided no compelling reason to believe the Christian Creation Myth or its more recent makeover as Intelligent Design deserves any place outside the study of Religion. Your interest in pretending that it represents some alternate scientific theory is simply antithetical to scientific thought. If you want critical minds to consider what such Faith Based concepts might hold for Science, then by all means ply those wares in a Bible College, without confusing younger minds with such fake science, at a time they are grappling still with understanding Mendel's genetics experiments. No teaching Santa Claus in Science class.

WheelsRCool,

I'm still waiting for some examples (with references) of ``alternative explanations [to evolution] as well, albeit lesser-known, that are not creationist.''

You make a lot of claims that you never back up.

I think it would be great to teach Creationism in schools -- in Cultural History, Literature, or Creative Writing classes. Not in Science.

While we're at it, let's learn about some other religions' creation stories, too. They all have one. A bit of expanded cultural instruction would help a lot of Americans see the bigger picture. And then when they go to science class, they can learn about reality, rather than politics and mythology.

The Bridge project is still alive and well, and the original bridge is still one of the bridges under consideration in the $97M planning project. Just look at the AK DOT map that I linked - again, look at the date on that map - that map is only a few months old. The bridge is not dead. The DOT just finished the gravel road to the Ketchikan end of that bridge - at the cost of $8M per mile, or did you miss that?

The road being built doesn't mean the Bridge to Nowhere is still supported; as said, it is a $26 million road, a far cry short of the $398 million Bridge to Nowhere project. They are planning to develop the area more, and considering alternatives to the Bridge to Nowhere - one of these is a bridge that would utilize this particular road, but that bridge has a pricetag of $254 million, still too expensive.

In the article you linked and one I linked, it said they ended the Bridge to Nowhere and are considering alternatives (alternative bridges included).

The original Bridge to Nowhere itself cannot still be under consideration because $97 million will not afford it.

http://www.propublica.org/feature/palin-admin-oversaw-26-million-road-to-nowhere-917/

Governor Palin was urged by government watchdogs not to build the road either, that it would be wasteful, but she went and built it anyway, so I can only imagine she did so because of plans to develop the area further.

Palin loves to say that she got rid of the governor's cook, which angered her kids.

So what if it did? She's the parent, if she wants to get rid of the cook, that's her call.

She never tells the truth, which is that she decided to move back to her own house in Wasilla, so the cook in the governor's mansion was not needed. Also, the "cost-cutting" Palin charged Alaska per-diems while she lived in her own house, as well as travel expenses that arose from that personal decision to live in Wasilla.

Billing the state while staying at home I think can be questionable, but she spent far less than her predecessor on travel expenses, and flies coach: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/08/AR2008090803088.html

That's a disingenuous argument given that they say their records only go back 6 years as mandated, and conveniently now apparently would not include the Palin years.

It says the financial computer system goes back to 2000, and the accounts receivable backup documentation back six years, per their records retention schedule; the crime stats go from 2007 back to 1994, so I take it that the financial computer system goes from 2007 to 2000, and the accounts receivable documentation from 2000 to 1994.

As it stands right now, there is no record that anyone paid for a rape kit from the time Fallon became Chief of Police to the time the legislature made it law that rape kits are paid for by the state.

When it suits you then she is not quite the executive in charge that you would want to paint in your pretense that she has adequate executive experience.

She has more executive experience than Senator McCain, Senator Obama, and Senator Biden. If I had a choice between her or someone like Mitt Romney, then I would choose Mitt Romney. But I have a choice between Senator McCain and Governor Palin, or Senator Obama and Senator Biden, because of my various political, economic, etc...beliefs, I choose McCain/Palin. Because of your beliefs, you overall choose Obama/Biden I am guessing.

As I said before there's no other way to take it but that it's pushing the Right Wing Faith Based Agenda under the guise of Fiscal Frugality. It's sad how budget cuts can be used in mean-spirited public policy isn't it. That hardly gives any comfort in thinking these other Faith Based beliefs won't as well be pushed as policy.

What "right-wing faith-based agenda" is she pushing? Furthermore, are you are plenty comfortable considering many of the faiths of the Left that Senator Obama, if elected, may push? Remember, he said in a speech to Northwestern University: "Our individual salvation depends on collective salvation."

http://obama.senate.gov/speech/060616-northwestern_un/

He said during the Columbia forum that he wants to "make government cool again."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080912/pl_politico/21166

He clearly has a very large faith in the capabilities of government and a very Marxist-influenced philosophy regarding it (our collective salvation is from our individual salavation, not the other way around).

You've provided no compelling reason to believe the Christian Creation Myth or its more recent makeover as Intelligent Design deserves any place outside the study of Religion. Your interest in pretending that it represents some alternate scientific theory is simply antithetical to scientific thought.

I never said it was an alternative scientific theory.

If you want critical minds to consider what such Faith Based concepts might hold for Science, then by all means ply those wares in a Bible College, without confusing younger minds with such fake science, at a time they are grappling still with understanding Mendel's genetics experiments. No teaching Santa Claus in Science class.

My point is just to always be critical.

I'm still waiting for some examples (with references) of ``alternative explanations [to evolution] as well, albeit lesser-known, that are not creationist.''

I provided you with one, although I concede I shouldn't have worded it like that. There aren't really any "alternative theories" of evolution (except for maybe one for microorganisms); there are different theories of evolution, but unless one believes we were all just "created," evolution is really the only theory available.

As I said, I just want students to always be critical.

WheelsRCool said:
As it stands right now, there is no record that anyone paid for a rape kit from the time Fallon became Chief of Police to the time the legislature made it law that rape kits are paid for by the state.

This continues to be your disingenuous assertion based on incomplete records and against the statement of Chief Fallon as reported. It makes me wonder what your motivation is to be making unsupported assertions against evidence to the contrary.

WheelsRCool said:
What "right-wing faith-based agenda" is she pushing?

Anti-abortion
Creationist
Anti-gay union
anti-stemcell research

WheelsRCool said:
My point is just to always be critical.

Apparently this applies to Federalism as it relates to protecting ALL the people from the Establishment of state sponsored religion.

NeoDevin said:
WheelsRCool,

WheelsRCool, you need to provide information when asked.

This continues to be your disingenuous assertion based on incomplete records and against the statement of Chief Fallon as reported. It makes me wonder what your motivation is to be making unsupported assertions against evidence to the contrary.

The only disingenious assertion is yours, considering there is no evidence whatsoever that anyone paid for a rape kit. Unless any hard evidence comes up, the claim has no basis.

Anti-abortion
Creationist
Anti-gay union
anti-stemcell research

And the records show she hasn't pushed these views onto anyone. And she isn't anti-gay union, she is against gay marriage.

As for stemcell research, she only opposes embryonic stem cell research, which one would expect from a pro-life person.

LowlyPion said:
Apparently this applies to Federalism as it relates to protecting ALL the people from the Establishment of state sponsored religion.

But how exactly do you determine what is a religion? Portions of environmentalism can be classified as religion, while much else as science. Creationism is regarded as religion, but if some scientist says that there is scientific evidence that shows evolutionary theory (or parts of it) are wrong, I say just address them and shoot them down.

WheelsRCool, you need to provide information when asked.

I provided him with an example in a previous post, Lamarckism for microorganisms, however I realize what I said was wrong, there can be different theories about evolution, but no real alternative except religion (as pointed out, it's like gravity, it's a theory, but what alternative to gravity is there?).