Palin pick an insult to our intelligence

• News
  • Thread starter physucsc11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intelligence
In summary: I guess you could say that I was surprised that the information released about her turned out to be such a non-issue to the American people. In summary, the VP pick of Sarah Palin has been largely successful in attracting women voters to the McCain campaign. However, the media's initial response was mostly in support of Mrs. Palin, and there was little questioning of her ability or experience.
Physics news on Phys.org
WheelsRCool said:
The only disingenious assertion is yours, considering there is no evidence whatsoever that anyone paid for a rape kit. Unless any hard evidence comes up, the claim has no basis.
Please show some links to support your claims that rape victims were not made to pay for their own medical examinations. Mainstream press seems to have concluded otherwise.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/21/palin.rape.exams/?iref=hpmostpop

The Alaska Legislature agreed. The bill passed unanimously with the support of the Alaska Department of Public Safety, the Alaska Peace Officers Association and more than two dozen co-sponsors.

After it became law, Wasilla's police chief told the local paper, The Frontiersman, that it would cost the city $5,000 to $14,000 a year -- money that he'd have to find.

"In the past, we've charged the cost of the exams to the victim's insurance company when possible," Fannon was quoted as saying. "I just don't want to see any more burden on the taxpayer."

He suggested the criminals should pay as restitution if and when they're convicted. Repeated attempts to reach Fannon for comment were unsuccessful.

If rape victims are made to pay for the forensic examinations necessary to prove the guilt of their attackers, then home-owners should be made to pay for police to investigate burglaries, victims of fraud or theft should be made to pay the police to investigate the crimes perpetrated against them, etc, etc, etc. Why are victimized women singled out? Do you have a good reason, or are you going to repeat Palin's campaign rhetoric (we call those lies in Maine)?

WheelsRCool said:
She has more executive experience than Senator McCain, Senator Obama, and Senator Biden.

And this above all is so untrue.

You wish to confuse in the public mind that Executive Branch experience translates somehow mystically to just executive experience and that somehow Legislative Branch experience means that people are retarded.

At this point we have serving before us an example of one of the arguably more retarded Presidents to serve. And he came with the experience of running Texas, a State arguably facing far greater complexity than outback massively income surplus Alaska. And a lot of good that's done us, as the Republic stands teetering on the brink of decline, occasioned by ineptness.

Then there is Carly Fiorina - McCain's own economic adviser - says neither Palin nor McCain could run a large corporation. (And yes later after getting her ears reamed out by the McCain Campaign, tried to save by saying Obama and Biden couldn't either.)

The point of course is that Palin after making such idiotic comments as she can see Russia from Alaska and that qualifies her for anything more than a drivers license hardly shows that she is even up to the already low standards that the Nation has been subjected to the last 8 years - less the now just FOUR months to go (YEAH!) until he is at last put out to pasture and out national nap-time is over.

Last edited:
my wife's friend came home from church this week with a button that said:

" jesus was a community organizer, pontius pilate was a governor."i apologize if i have posted this before, i am getting old.

(but maybe not quite senile.)

WheelsRCool said:
The only disingenious assertion is yours, considering there is no evidence whatsoever that anyone paid for a rape kit. Unless any hard evidence comes up, the claim has no basis.

Gee, if they didn't pay then, there wouldn't be any record. But to confound your point further the fact that the town can find no charges even today suggests that they either don't pay or the rape kits in question aren't expensed separately in the system. It is not for me to prove that there are rape kits provided rather it is for you to show that the town has ever paid for kits and in the doing did so yearly in proportion to the rape statistics cited by the Police Department

mathwonk said:
my wife's friend came home from church this week with a button that said:

" jesus was a community organizer, pontius pilate was a governor."
Thank you. I'd like to have one of those buttons. My wife and I have done stuff for our local communities, and when she was out of work for a while due to the after-effects of an auto accident, she drove and delivered for "meals on wheels". She was so disappointed by the lack of quality of some of the meals that she delivered, that she spent time and money baking biscuits, desserts, and other Maine staples like baked beans so that she could give treats to old folks who were home-bound and were upset with the poor quality of the food from the program.

Please show some links to support your claims that rape victims were not made to pay for their own medical examinations. Mainstream press seems to have concluded otherwise.

The mainstream press can "conclude" what they want, but unless there is any proof that rape victims were charged for rape kits, it is all circumstantial.

If rape victims are made to pay for the forensic examinations necessary to prove the guilt of their attackers, then home-owners should be made to pay for police to investigate burglaries, victims of fraud or theft should be made to pay the police to investigate the crimes perpetrated against them, etc, etc, etc. Why are victimized women singled out? Do you have a good reason, or are you going to repeat Palin's campaign rhetoric (we call those lies in Maine)?

I do not agree with that, and I highly doubt Governor Palin does either. Like I said, the Chief went about it poorly. Let me ask you, do you think that because Senator Obama voted against the Born Alive Infant Protection Act it means that he actually "supports infanticide?" Even if one considers it infanticide, to say he actually "supports" it, I'd call a stretch. He obviously doesn't see it that way. I would imagine it is the same with Governor Palin and rape kits if she was aware of the practice, which I do not think she was as I see no religious reason to make a rape victim pay for their rape kit. As far as the evidence shows, no one was ever made to pay for their rape kit during her time as mayor.

I would think if someone was, they'd have come forth by now.

If it comes out someone did, then that will change things.

And this above all is so untrue.

You wish to confuse in the public mind that Executive Branch experience translates somehow mystically to just executive experience and that somehow Legislative Branch experience means that people are retarded.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said anyone was "retarded." But being a Senator doesn't mean you are actually running anything.

At this point we have serving before us an example of one of the arguably more retarded Presidents to serve. And he came with the experience of running Texas, a State arguably facing far greater complexity than outback massively income surplus Alaska. And a lot of good that's done us, as the Republic stands teetering on the brink of decline, occasioned by ineptness.

I disagree.

Then there is Carly Fiorina - McCain's own economic adviser - says neither Palin nor McCain could run a large corporation. (And yes later after getting her ears reamed out by the McCain Campaign, tried to save by saying Obama and Biden couldn't either.)

Yes, and Senator Biden said that Senator Obama doesn't have the experience to be President. People make goofs. I would disagree with Fiorina though, as Palin did run a business, albeit a very small one.

The point of course is that Palin after making such idiotic comments as she can see Russia from Alaska and that qualifies her for anything more than a drivers license hardly shows that she is even up to the already low standards that the Nation has been subjected to the last 8 years - less the now just FOUR months to go (YEAH!) until he is at last put out to pasture and out national nap-time is over.

Where did she ever claim being able to "see Russia" qualifies her for anything? Furthermore, if you view her, the Republican VP choice, as lacking qualifications, how do you see Senator Obama, the Democrat Presidential choice, as any more qualified?

Both campaigns have dirt on each other, both have said stupid things, etc...one can go back and dig up plenty of stupid things said by both McCain and Obama.

Gee, if they didn't pay then, there wouldn't be any record. But to confound your point further the fact that the town can find no charges even today suggests that they either don't pay or the rape kits in question aren't expensed separately in the system. It is not for me to prove that there are rape kits provided rather it is for you to show that the town has ever paid for kits and in the doing did so yearly in proportion to the rape statistics cited by the Police Department

I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this. I would prefer more evidence on this as well, but as of now, there isn't enough evidence to show that anyone was forced to pay for a rape kit, and no one has come forth claiming they were. It is a legitimate question to ask, but there isn't enough information right now.

WheelsRCool said:
The mainstream press can "conclude" what they want, but unless there is any proof that rape victims were charged for rape kits, it is all circumstantial.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this. I would prefer more evidence on this as well, but as of now, there isn't enough evidence to show that anyone was forced to pay for a rape kit, and no one has come forth claiming they were. It is a legitimate question to ask, but there isn't enough information right now.
There is plenty of information for CNN, although apparently it hasn't filtered into the "news" that you subscribe to.

Math Is Hard said:
Wheels also said that it should be left to the states to decide.
I remember when it was left for the states to decide. Only New York and California allowed abortions. (This was my freshman English essay "A case for Abortion in the United States").

What happened was that only the wealthy could afford to fly across country to get abortions and all the rest were left to botched self abortions, back street abortions, or suicide. The death and mutilation of women and young girls trying to abort without legal medical assistance was horrendous. Not to mention damage to fetuses that did not abort.

Is this what we want to go back to? Coat hanger abortions? Do we want women forced into barbaric illegal abortions? Because you know what? Making abortions illegal doesn't stop abortions, it just forces women and girls into potentially deadly situations.

It's time for all of the pro-lifers that think if abortion is illegal, something magical and wonderful is going to happen to get a clue.

I went to school with girls that had illegal abortions and I will always blame the people that made it illegal for what happened to them.

I lived through that time, I doubt that many here that are against abortion lived through that.

Last edited:
WheelsRCool said:
If they weren't provided there would be no charges now would there. And if they weren't provided and no contraceptive was offered there wouldn't be any charges for that either. Since Chief Fallon mentioned a specific expense burden then he was either lying that those expenses exist, or those expenses are buried in office supplies or some other spurious account.
Let me ask you, do you think that because Senator Obama ...
This isn't about Obama. We're talking about Palin's lack of experience and her unsuitability for the office.
Where did she ever claim being able to "see Russia" qualifies her for anything?
Palin/Gibson Interview said:
GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?

PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.

turbo-1 said:
There is plenty of information for CNN, although apparently it hasn't filtered into the "news" that you subscribe to.

It would seem that the people in Alaska are deluded in thinking that there was any problem at all. Yet ...
CNN said:
"It was one of those things everyone could agree on except Wasilla," Croft told CNN. "We couldn't convince the chief of police to stop charging them."
So to overcome that hardline mean-spiritedness in Wasilla, the State Legislature mandated payment for rape kits. AS 18.68.040

I remember when it was left for the states to decide. Only New York and California allowed abortions. (This was my freshman English essay "A case for Abortion in the United States").

What happened was that only the wealthy could afford to fly across country to get abortions and all the rest were left to botched self abortions, back street abortions, or suicide. The death and mutilation of women and young girls trying to abort without legal medical assistance was horrendous. Not to mention damage to fetuses that did not abort.

Is this what we want to go back to? Coat hanger abortions? Do we want women forced into barbaric illegal abortions? Because you know what? Making abortions illegal doesn't stop abortions, it just forces women and girls into potentially deadly situations.

It's time for all of the pro-lifers that think if abortion is illegal, something magical and wonderful is going to happen to get a clue.

I went to school with girls that had illegal abortions and I will always blame the people that made it illegal for what happened to them.

I lived through that time, I doubt that many here that are against abortion lived through that.

All a strict pro-lifer will say is that they shouldn't have the abortions in the first place. True pro-lifers will "walk-the-walk" so-to-speak, but I still think it is ultimately wrong to force the woman to have the child. It is for these reasons that I am pro-choice for the first trimester.

If they weren't provided there would be no charges now would there. And if they weren't provided and no contraceptive was offered there wouldn't be any charges for that either.

The rape kits are provided, but the question is would they have billed the victim for them. There is no solid evidence that they did this whatsoever. According to this, the police department is not who bills the victim, it is the hospital; the police department can offer to pay for it, but it is ultimately the hospital that makes the decision regarding who will pay the bill:

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/...4&session=21&comm=STA&date=20000309&time=0820

There was also the State of Alaska Violent Crimes Compensation Board (VCCB): http://www.state.ak.us/local/akpages/ADMIN/vccb/info.html

So IF some hospital decided to bill the victim, the VCCB should have paid for it.

Since Chief Fallon mentioned a specific expense burden then he was either lying that those expenses exist, or those expenses are buried in office supplies or some other spurious account.

He said he didn't want the city to pay for it, but he also said he didn't want the victim to either. The media are obviously distorting the facts.

So to overcome that hardline mean-spiritedness in Wasilla, the State Legislature mandated payment for rape kits. AS 18.68.040

In the transcript, it is clear that the committee was concerned about hospitals, not police departments, and not Sarah Palin.

This isn't about Obama. We're talking about Palin's lack of experience and her unsuitability for the office.

You can't criticize the one without bringing up the alternative choice right now. If this was prior to McCain's VP selection, and it could be Palin, Romney, Pawlenty, etc...then yes, it would be pointless to bring up Senator Obama.

GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?

PALIN: They’re our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.

Yes, and then ABC news in the televised interview cut the rest of what was said regarding Russia:

GIBSON: What insight does that give you into what they’re doing in Georgia?

PALIN: Well, I’m giving you that perspective of how small our world is and how important it is that we work with our allies to keep good relation with all of these countries, especially Russia. We will not repeat a Cold War. We must have good relationship with our allies, pressuring, also, helping us to remind Russia that it’s in their benefit, also, a mutually beneficial relationship for us all to be getting along.

We cannot repeat the Cold War. We are thankful that, under Reagan, we won the Cold War, without a shot fired, also. We’ve learned lessons from that in our relationship with Russia, previously the Soviet Union.

We will not repeat a Cold War. We must have good relationship with our allies, pressuring, also, helping us to remind Russia that it’s in their benefit, also, a mutually beneficial relationship for us all to be getting along.

Last edited by a moderator:
More insite into Palin's sleazy political tactics.

Sarah Palin has a way of using "old boys" -- then dumping them when they become inconvenient.

Sept. 23, 2008 | WASILLA, Alaska --The Wasilla mayor's seat is nonpartisan, and Mayor Stein, a former city planner who had held the post for nine years, ran a businesslike campaign that stressed his experience and competency. But Palin ignited the traditionally low-key race with scorching social issues, injecting "God, guns and abortion into the race -- things that had nothing to do with being mayor of a small town," according to Tigner.

Palin's mayoral campaign rode the wave of conservative, evangelical fervor that was sweeping Alaska in the '90s. Suddenly candidates' social values, not their ability to manage the roads and sewer systems, were dominating the debate. "Sarah and I were both Republicans, but this was an entirely new slant to local politics -- much more aggressive than anything I'd ever seen," said Stein, looking back at the election that put Palin on the political map.

There was a knife-sharp, personal edge to Palin's campaign that many locals found disturbing, particularly because of the warm relationship between Palin and Stein before the race.

"I called Sarah's campaign for mayor the end of the age of innocence in Wasilla," said Carney.

Even though Palin knew that Stein is a Protestant Christian, from a Pennsylvania Dutch background, her campaign began circulating the word that she would be "Wasilla's first Christian mayor." Some of Stein's supporters interpreted this as an attempt to portray Stein as Jewish in the heavily evangelical community. Stein himself, an eminently reasonable and reflective man, thinks "they were redefining Christianity to mean born-agains."

The Palin campaign also started another vicious whisper campaign, spreading the word that Stein and his wife -- who had chosen to keep her own last name when they were married -- were not legally wed. Again, Palin knew the truth, Stein said, but chose to muddy the waters. "We actually had to produce our marriage certificate," recalled Stein, whose wife died of breast cancer in 2005 without ever reconciling with Palin.

"I had a hand in creating Sarah, but in the end she blew me out of the water," Stein said, sounding more wearily ironic than bitter. "Sarah's on a mission, she's an opportunist."

According to some political observers in Alaska, this pattern -- exploiting "old-boy" mentors and then turning against them for her own advantage -- defines Sarah Palin's rise to power. Again and again, Palin has charmed powerful political patrons, and then rejected them when it suited her purposes. She has crafted a public image as a clean politics reformer, but in truth, she has only blown the whistle on political corruption when it was expedient for her to do so. Above all, Palin is a dynamo of ambition, shrewdly maneuvering her way through the notoriously compromised world of Alaska politics, making and breaking alliances along the way.

"When Palin takes credit for knocking off the old-boy network in Alaska, it drives me crazy," said Andrew Halcro, an Anchorage businessman and radio talk show host who ran against her in the 2006 GOP primary race for governor. "Sarah certainly availed herself of that network whenever it was expedient."

Continued...

Palin's reputation as a reformer stems primarily from her headline-grabbing ouster of state GOP chairman Randy Ruedrich from the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission for flagrant conflict-of-interest abuses. At the time, Palin was heralded in the press as a whistle-blower, but it was later revealed that she was guilty of the same charge that she had brought against Ruedrich -- using state office equipment for partisan political business. (While still mayor of Wasilla, she sent out campaign fundraising appeals from her office during her race for lieutenant governor.)

Others suspect that Palin had self-serving reasons for taking on Ruedrich and resigning her seat on the commission. The state energy panel had ignited a public firestorm in Palin's home base, Mat-Su Valley, by secretly leasing sub-surface drilling rights on thousands of residential lots to a Colorado-based gas producer. Outraged farmers and homeowners, who woke up one morning to find drilling equipment being hauled onto their land, were in open revolt against the commission. While Palin initially supported the leasing plan, she was shrewd enough to realize it was political suicide to alienate conservative property owners in her own district. According to some accounts, she was also growing tired of commuting to state offices in Anchorage and poring over dry, tedious technical manuals for her job. All in all, it seemed like the right move to jump ship -- and going out a hero was an added plus.

"Sarah quit the commission to make political hay," Halcro asserted.

"The idea that Sarah shook up the state's old-boy network is one big fantasy, it's complete bull****," Halcro said. "She got all this public acclaim for throwing people who backed her under the bus -- but she only did it after they became expendable, when she no longer needed them.

Continued...

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/09/23/palin/index1.html

WheelsRCool said:
There is no solid evidence that they did this whatsoever.

Of course there is. The news accounts and the statement of the police chief at the time make it quite clear that there was a conscious policy initiative to make the victims pay. Why else would Fallon have said what he did? Are you saying that he was lying? And for what purpose was he lying if they were already paying and had no intention of ever charging?

Yes, and then ABC news in the televised interview cut the rest of what was said regarding Russia:

You mean Gibson was so aware of how downright pitiful her answer was that he had to ask a follow up in which she goes on to reveal her cartoon like understanding of foreign affairs?

Maybe she should just stick to watching her sunsets over Siberia?

Evo said:
More insite into Palin's sleazy political tactics.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/09/23/palin/index1.html

Hmmm. Who's left to throw under Machiavelli's bus? Who else in the "Old Boys Hall of Fame" stands between her ambition and the Presidency?

But maybe its all ok because she sees herself as on a mission from God?

Reverend Muthee holding East Wing Exorcisms after the Easter Egg hunt on the South Lawn??

The McCain campaign wants to insulate Palin from ALL reporting, and have banned reporters (print, TV, radio) from covering Palin's UN visit. They are allowing one CNN producer to accompany the camera-operator. That's it. Apparently, Sarah is seen as a bit of a loose cannon, because the campaign has refused to allow any reporters to question her as she makes public appearances.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/2008/09/sarah-palin-mee.html

turbo-1 said:
The McCain campaign wants to insulate Palin from ALL reporting, and have banned reporters (print, TV, radio) from covering Palin's UN visit. They are allowing one CNN producer to accompany the camera-operator. That's it. Apparently, Sarah is seen as a bit of a loose cannon, because the campaign has refused to allow any reporters to question her as she makes public appearances.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/2008/09/sarah-palin-mee.html
One of those times you'd like to be a fly on the wall.

Will this CNN person be able to write, or will they have to memorize everything?

This is so ridiculous. They are so afraid that she's going to make a complete fool of herself that they don't want anyone to see it.

Talk about waving a big red flag over their VP pick. :biggrin:

An alternative intelligent design incorporating evolution is here:
http://www.urantia.org/papers/paper58.html
http://www.urantia.org/papers/paper65.html

-Thats to help WheelsRCool a little, I agree with nothing else he has posted though.

Palin, I'm sure, will destroy McCains chances as the home stretch approaches. She has too many skeletons coming into the light.

Evo said:
One of those times you'd like to be a fly on the wall.

Will this CNN person be able to write, or will they have to memorize everything?

This is so ridiculous. They are so afraid that she's going to make a complete fool of herself that they don't want anyone to see it.

Talk about waving a big red flag over their VP pick. :biggrin:
Reminds me of the M*A*S*H when a general says "This is a press conference. The last thing we want to do is answer a lot of questions". :biggrin:

Palin press may boycott UN conference
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080923/pl_politico/13783
NEW YORK – Journalists, displeased with Sarah Palin’s efforts to restrict their access to her, are threatening not to cover her events surrounding the United Nations conference here unless they're allowed more access.

The unfolding boycott is the latest development in a rocky relationship between Palin’s handlers and the press, in which the campaign has sought to tightly control her interactions with the media.

The campaign had originally indicated that the print reporters following her campaign would be among the small group of journalists allowed to attend the so-called “pool sprays” before Palin’s meetings with dignitaries on the sidelines of the U.N. meetings.

The sprays are basically glorified photo opportunities during which journalists can snap photos and film footage and – if they’re lucky – shout a question or two at Palin and her company before she adjourns for private meetings.
. . . . .
Pool sprays?! Sounds rather superficial and unsubstantive. This is what we get from those who would be national leaders?

Astronuc said:
Palin press may boycott UN conference
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080923/pl_politico/13783
Pool sprays?! Sounds rather superficial and unsubstantive. This is what we get from those who would be national leaders?

Yes in this campaign the less they let her say the better. I think they are scared to death she will open her mouth. Look at the fallout from the Gibson interview where I think she just came off as totally unfit to hold the office.

November can't come too soon. No telling when another Reverend Muthee will jump out of the woodwork.

Apparently under Palin's reign Wasilla has been turned into an environmental kill zone.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/09/19/palin/index.html

This is apparently her philosophy for ANWR too no doubt. Scrape the land bare and suck it dry and to h-e-double hockey sticks with the polar bears?

Of course there is. The news accounts and the statement of the police chief at the time make it quite clear that there was a conscious policy initiative to make the victims pay. Why else would Fallon have said what he did? Are you saying that he was lying? And for what purpose was he lying if they were already paying and had no intention of ever charging?

I do not know. Maybe he was. But as of now there is no evidence whatsoever that any victims were billed, and as I have shown, according to the committee, it wasn't the police department that even does the billing, it's the hospitals.

You mean Gibson was so aware of how downright pitiful her answer was that he had to ask a follow up in which she goes on to reveal her cartoon like understanding of foreign affairs?

Maybe she should just stick to watching her sunsets over Siberia?

She answered it in a manner where she clearly expected him to follow-up. If you consider it to have been "cartoon-like," then I would have to say some of the foreign-policy proposals of Senator Obama have been Tom and Jerry cartoons.

Talk about waving a big red flag over their VP pick.

Or maybe it is because the media has shown itself to clearly be out to get Governor Palin. I don't remember them being even near this eager over Senator Obama. They were just as hostile to Hillary Clinton as well.

However, I still think they should allow Governor Palin to talk to the media. If the media are more hostile to one particular candidate, well you just have to go with it.

But guys, you think it doesn't send a big red flag over the Democratic Presidential candidate himself in that he decided to stop debating Hillary after he did poorly in the ABC debate (he had no problem when the debates were clearly biased in his favor). Or that he said he'd debate McCain in townhall debates but has yet too...?

That says something as well.

Obama should not be resistant to debate McCain in some townhalls I think, and Palin should not be resistent to answering some media questions.

WheelsRCool said:
But as of now there is no evidence whatsoever that any victims were billed, and as I have shown, according to the committee, it wasn't the police department that even does the billing, it's the hospitals.

You surely are an anxious revisionist. They no longer have the records from 6 years ago, the Alaska Law that came down prohibiting the Wasilla actions reported her policy at the time, and made it mandatory that municipalities didn't charge the victims. Now your strategy of denial wants to suggest that because records may no longer be readily available, and in spite of the reports at the time from her hand picked police chief, that Palin couldn't have neither known about it nor would have done it? This must be like one of those "verbiage" moments that she likes to retreat behind.
Or maybe it is because the media has shown itself to clearly be out to get Governor Palin.
Or maybe its because she has such limited experience and such vapid valley-girl like explanations to things that they think surely there is more depth there than the shallowness on display and they want to help her get more exposure?
Or that he said he'd debate McCain in townhall debates but has yet too...?
That's a pretty disingenuous response. Either you are trying to be guileful or you are ignorant of the debates that are scheduled. The second Presidential debate is specifically styled as a Town Hall debate.

McCain came off OK in his "town-hall" meetings because the crowds were favorable to him, AND they were salted with people who were primed to ask questions that played to his strengths. Obama was wise not to play into that, and to stick with debates in which there might be some semblance of fairness and substance.

I saw a clip of Palin talking to Iraq's PM (?). He appeared bemused and she looked like she was trying to APPEAR interested and able to follow his convo. (Doesn't he have an accent?)

I'm wondering (sort of) why Palin - who is supposed to be COMPETENT and ABLE to assume the office if McCain doesn't hold up - is not mingling with the press/media the way Biden is? D'OH, I forgot she's saving it up for the finish line. :confused::rolleyes:

Amp1 said:
I'm wondering (sort of) why Palin - who is supposed to be COMPETENT and ABLE to assume the office if McCain doesn't hold up - is not mingling with the press/media the way Biden is? D'OH, I forgot she's saving it up for the finish line. :confused::rolleyes:

They were talking about this on the radio this morning. Apparently the McCain campaign are trying to keep the media away from Palin and they are rather upset about it.

I wonder what people would think of Palin if she said,
"Part of what a leader does is to instill confidence... is demonstrate that he or she knows what they're talking about and communicates to people "If you listen to me and follow what I'm suggesting, we can fix this." You know when the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed, he said "Look, here's what happened..."

Now that would be priceless, yes?

chemisttree said:

They would certainly laugh at her for suggesting that she would have the gravitas to manage a situation much more complicated than a Wasilla pot luck social.

On the other hand Joe Biden could certainly expect to execute more ably in the office that Palin's unthrottled ambition would aspire to.

chemisttree said:

Admittedly, that was a really bad mistake. Rather routine for Biden, he makes so many that as one article put it, "it's not even news". I think the difference is that when Biden makes a gaffe, he doesn't try to cover it up and try to make it sound like it's something it's not. It's the way Palin tries to backpeddle that smacks of dishonesty. If you say something stupid, and you admit it, people will forgive you. If you make a stupid mistake then try to make excuses for it, you're dishonest and lack integrity.

Evo said:
Admittedly, that was a really bad mistake. Rather routine for Biden, he makes so many that as one article put it, "it's not even news". I think the difference is that when Biden makes a gaffe, he doesn't try to cover it up and try to make it sound like it's something it's not. It's the way Palin tries to backpeddle that smacks of dishonesty. If you say something stupid, and you admit it, people will forgive you. If you make a stupid mistake then try to make excuses for it, you're dishonest and lack integrity.

The McCain go to person on "what he meant to say" has been worked to a bare nub, this current campaign cycle.

How dare the Democrats pick on McCain's "verbiage", like can't politicians say whatever they want and not have to be accountable.

It also has to do with their levels of experience, and how established they are in their positions. As a long-serving senator, Biden doesn't have to worry that any particular gaffe is going to make people question his qualifications. Palin, on the other hand, is a complete unknown, without any substantial record to lean on to illustrate her qualifications. She's been governor of Alaska for all of two years, which isn't even long enough for her to have run for re-election. One blown comment is not going to tank Biden's position, but it just might end Palin's career. Likewise, she can't afford to be pushed around, and so will doggedly resist any criticism on these points. Biden, again, has enough reserves of political capital that he can afford to admit when he's wrong.

It's Reverend Muthee Time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ccmRuCpFjY

And heerrreees another article on Palin's veracity:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/23140513/the_truth_about_sarah_palin