Parabola Midpoint: Find Equation of Locus

• Thread starter Michael_Light
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
I'm pretty sure you're right.In summary, the variable tangent at P to the parabola y2=4ax meets the y-axis at Q. The equation of the locus of the midpoint of PQ is 2y2=9ax, which is confirmed by independent work.
Michael_Light

Homework Statement

A variable tangent at P to the parabola y2=4ax meets the y-axis at Q. Find the equation of the locus of the midpoint of PQ. As shown below, my final answer is 2y2=9ax but the answer provided is y2=9ax. Can anyone correct me?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

DSC00596 - Copy.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Michael_Light said:

Homework Statement

A variable tangent at P to the parabola y2=4ax meets the y-axis at Q. Find the equation of the locus of the midpoint of PQ.

As shown below, my final answer is 2y2=9ax but the answer provided is y2=9ax. Can anyone correct me?

Homework Equations

View attachment 34238

Might I surgest you take look at this website here.

http://home.scarlet.be/~ping1339/parabola.htm

It deals with a very simular problem :)

/Fred

matematikeren said:
Might I surgest you take look at this website here.

http://home.scarlet.be/~ping1339/parabola.htm

It deals with a very simular problem :)

/Fred

Its a very good website... but would you kindly help me with my question first?? ><''

Michael_Light said:

Homework Statement

A variable tangent at P to the parabola y2=4ax meets the y-axis at Q. Find the equation of the locus of the midpoint of PQ.

As shown below, my final answer is 2y2=9ax but the answer provided is y2=9ax. Can anyone correct me?

Homework Equations

View attachment 34238

If it's any help to you, I worked it myself without looking at what you did and I got the same answer you did.

What is a parabola midpoint?

A parabola midpoint is the point on a parabola that is equidistant from the focus and the directrix. It is also known as the vertex of the parabola.

How do you find the equation of locus for a parabola midpoint?

To find the equation of locus for a parabola midpoint, you need to use the distance formula to determine the distance between the midpoint and the focus. The equation will be in the form of (x - h)^2 = 4p(y - k), where (h, k) is the coordinates of the midpoint and p is the distance between the midpoint and the focus.

What is the significance of the equation of locus for a parabola midpoint?

The equation of locus for a parabola midpoint helps us understand the relationship between the coordinates of the midpoint and the focus. It also allows us to graph the parabola and determine important properties such as the axis of symmetry and the direction of opening.

Can the equation of locus for a parabola midpoint be used to find other points on the parabola?

Yes, the equation of locus for a parabola midpoint can be used to find other points on the parabola. By substituting different values for x, we can find the corresponding y-values that lie on the parabola.

Are there any real-life applications of the equation of locus for a parabola midpoint?

Yes, the equation of locus for a parabola midpoint is used in many real-life situations, such as designing parabolic reflectors for satellite dishes and telescopes, designing roller coasters, and predicting the trajectory of projectiles.