Mastering Parabolic Motion in Online Games: Understanding Physics and Gravity

• Thread starter Joe390
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, you can use Newtonian physics to simulate gravity in an online game. Acceleration in the x direction can occur. There are other principles to take into account, such as air resistance.
Joe390
I've been trying to make an online game using the rules of physics. If I'm not mistaken this flash game uses Newtonian physics by generating a vertical parabola to simulate gravity. I also realize that acceleration in the x direction can occur. Are there any other sort of kinematic principles I should take into account? Also I know that gravity on Earth is about 10. What is it for a typical game such as this? I guess it would be measured in pixels/sec^2. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks so much

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you will need to generate the position at each point in the arc, you don't have to have exact solutions for the path of motion; you can simulate the differential equations. This means you can easily take into account air resistance, and maybe a wind blowing. The downside is there may be a small accumulation of error.
(Back in the early days of PCs, there was a free game written in Basic that involved gorillas throwing exploding bananas at each other across a city skyline. There was something weird about the trajectories, so I looked at the code. Horizontal wind had been implemented as some kind of lateral gravity, accelerating without limit!)

Joe390 said:
I guess it would be measured in pixels/sec^2
I would guess pixels/(timestep)^2 where the timestep is something like 1/50s. Using those timesteps, you can calculate the velocity and the position for each step. The parabola does not need any representation in the code, it is just the result of the step-by-step calculation.

uses Newtonian physics
With the option to accelerate horizontal and vertical in flight ;).

haruspex said:
Since you will need to generate the position at each point in the arc, you don't have to have exact solutions for the path of motion; you can simulate the differential equations. This means you can easily take into account air resistance, and maybe a wind blowing. The downside is there may be a small accumulation of error.
(Back in the early days of PCs, there was a free game written in Basic that involved gorillas throwing exploding bananas at each other across a city skyline. There was something weird about the trajectories, so I looked at the code. Horizontal wind had been implemented as some kind of lateral gravity, accelerating without limit!)

So if y = 5t - 5t^2 the differential equation is dy/dt = 5 - 10t. How do I account for air resistance and wind blowing. The horizontal wind error sounds like something that definitely might happen if I approach the problem this way. Is there a better way maybe? Because Robot Unicorn Attack and other similar games are not glitchy at all.

mfb said:
I would guess pixels/(timestep)^2 where the timestep is something like 1/50s. Using those timesteps, you can calculate the velocity and the position for each step. The parabola does not need any representation in the code, it is just the result of the step-by-step calculation.

With the option to accelerate horizontal and vertical in flight ;).

Yeah I now understand this. I thought you need an explicit equation for position, but now I see that the parabola is just a result of the step by step calculation.

Calculate the second derivative: [itex]a=\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=-10[/itex]
You can add all sorts of forces to this acceleration. Air resistance would be proportional to (v-vwind)^2 for reasonable velocities, for example.

Now, for each time step, keep track of horizontal velocity v and position y. If the object jumps, set its initial velocity v0 to some value, corresponding to the "jumping capability" of the object. The position y0 is simply the location where the jump happens. Now, the iterative formulas can be written as:

[itex]v_i=v_{i-1}+a_{i} dt[/itex]
[itex]y_i=y_{i-1}+v_{i} dt[/itex]

Those formula violate energy conservation, but they are a very simple way to calculate the position and velocity. The Runge–Kutta methods give a smaller error.

mfb said:
Calculate the second derivative: [itex]a=\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=-10[/itex]
You can add all sorts of forces to this acceleration. Air resistance would be proportional to (v-vwind)^2 for reasonable velocities, for example.

Now, for each time step, keep track of horizontal velocity v and position y. If the object jumps, set its initial velocity v0 to some value, corresponding to the "jumping capability" of the object. The position y0 is simply the location where the jump happens. Now, the iterative formulas can be written as:

[itex]v_i=v_{i-1}+a_{i} dt[/itex]
[itex]y_i=y_{i-1}+v_{i} dt[/itex]

Those formula violate energy conservation, but they are a very simple way to calculate the position and velocity. The Runge–Kutta methods give a smaller error.

This is great thanks. I didn't realize that air resistance is proportional to (v-vwind)^2. For some reason I was under the impression that air resistance is proportional to k*v where k is a constant. Would you recommend 4th order Runge-Kutta to solve these iterations. In what way do those formulas violate energy conservation? This is very interesting to me.

They violate energy conservation with finite time-steps. As an example, drop an object from a height of 30m with 0m/s initial velocity, and approximate g=10m/s^2. As time step, I use 1s (very large!). The pairs (velocity,position) are then given by:

(0,30)
(10,30-10=20)
(20,20-20=0) -> hits the floor with 20m/s.
An object with mass 1kg would have an initial potential energy of mgh=300J, and a final kinetic energy of 1/2 mv^2 = 200J. The difference went in the bad approximations in the time steps.

A better way to calculate the displacement would be to take the average of the old and the new velocity:
[itex]y_i=y_{i-1}+\frac{v_i+v_{i-1}}{2}dt[/itex]

Same situation again:
(0,30)
(10,25)
(20,10) -> now, 20m/s corresponds to a drop of 20m, which is consistent with energy conservation.
(30,-15) -> well, hit the floor somewhere in between.

If the acceleration is not constant, this will lead to deviations again, but for constant acceleration it works.

mfb said:
They violate energy conservation with finite time-steps. As an example, drop an object from a height of 30m with 0m/s initial velocity, and approximate g=10m/s^2. As time step, I use 1s (very large!). The pairs (velocity,position) are then given by:

(0,30)
(10,30-10=20)
An object with mass 1kg would have an initial potential energy of mgh=300J, and a final kinetic energy of 1/2 mv^2 = 200J. The difference went in the bad approximations in the time steps.

A better way to calculate the displacement would be to take the average of the old and the new velocity:

Same situation again:
(0,30)
(10,25)
(20,10) -> now, 20m/s corresponds to a drop of 20m, which is consistent with energy conservation.

If the acceleration is not constant, this will lead to deviations again, but for constant acceleration it works.

If the acceleration is not constant, you can do the same with acceleration values: average the old and the new acceleration before you compute the new velocity. This will improve the result, but still lead to deviations if the changes in acceleration are non-linear.

A recursive trajectory calculation is fairly easy to setup using the time gradiant and the acceleration of gravity. Depending on initial velocities and the drag coefficient of the object you can very accurately compute the path.
I did this for an external ballistics program in C back when DOS was the operating system of choice. I believe I still have it somewhere but right now everything is being packed up for our move to a new home.

Paul

you probably got somebody who figured out you could plug x-y data in there computer game instead of math calculating equations.

the inverted parabola works for the sum of forces (x-y-z) throughout a fall with the opposite end of the foci representing the sum of horizontal forces exerted on the body at all times

Last edited:
mfb said:

(0,30)
(10,30-10=20)

Same situation again:
(0,30)
(10,25)

Now I think I get it. With a large time step energy is not conserved. If the time step is decreased, and approaches 0 seconds then is energy conservation maintained?

In the limit dt->0, energy is conserved with all (reasonable) formulas, right.

lol for using robot unicorn attack as an example of a game that uses parabolic motion. One question I have is how do you calculate the initial angle of the projectile? I think is the inverse tangent of initial velocity in the y direction divided by velocity in the x direction. How does acceleration affect the initial jump angle and the range of the projectile.

1. What is parabolic motion?

Parabolic motion is a type of motion where an object moves along a curved path that follows a parabola. This type of motion is also known as projectile motion.

2. What is the equation for parabolic motion?

The equation for parabolic motion is y = -gx^2 + vx + h, where y is the vertical position, g is the acceleration due to gravity, x is the horizontal position, v is the initial velocity, and h is the initial vertical position.

3. What factors affect parabolic motion?

The factors that affect parabolic motion include the initial velocity, the angle at which the object is launched, the acceleration due to gravity, and air resistance. Other factors such as wind and air density can also have an impact on the motion.

4. How is parabolic motion used in real life?

Parabolic motion is used in various real-life applications, such as sports, fireworks, and space exploration. For example, in sports like basketball and golf, the trajectory of the ball follows a parabolic path. In fireworks displays, the fireworks are launched at specific angles to create beautiful parabolic patterns in the sky. In space exploration, parabolic motion is used to launch rockets and navigate satellites.

5. Can parabolic motion be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, parabolic motion can be used to solve real-world problems such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile or predicting the motion of a satellite in orbit. It is also used in engineering and physics to design and analyze various structures and systems that involve motion.