1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Paradox in the nuclear activity

1. Nov 3, 2016 #1
    good evening everybody!!!
    i'm studying these days the nuclear activity and this amazing world where an atom try to find its/her stability !!!!
    so i came across the famous radiations but then stoped by something i didn't quite understand!!
    when an atom release a beta radiation a negative one for example didn't she become unstable but from a charge view? ( when a neutron become a proton which means a one more + will be add which also mean that the atom needs a one more electron ?! nonetheless she release a one !!!! isn't that a paradox?!
    please my head is gonna explode from thinking
    thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2016 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Atoms which contain an unbalanced number of protons and electrons are called ions. The energy that it takes to make an ion is minuscule compared to the energies involved in a nuclear transition. It is literally the difference between dynamite and a nuclear weapon.

4. Nov 3, 2016 #3

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When a neutron decays through the beta- interaction, you have:
    ##n^0 -> p^+ + e^-##
    So the charge is conserved on both sides.

5. Nov 4, 2016 #4
    oh yeah !!! i see what do you mean and that quite solve my problem !!! thank you!!
    but is this electron is new formed? if it is a yes from where "he" came?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  6. Nov 4, 2016 #5
    hii thank you for answering!!!
    so isn't an ion an atom that gain or lose an electron???

7. Nov 4, 2016 #6

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

If an atom gains or loses an electron, it becomes an "atom which contains an unbalanced number of protons and electrons" so this is consistent with what Dale said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted