1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel/Series Combination Circuits

1. Apr 28, 2013 #1
    I understand the concepts of whether a resistor is in parallel or in series with each other. But I thought of a weird case that i can't seem to find examples for.

http://imgur.com/b2YMOnA

In this case, would R3 be in parallel or in series to R2? Or could this just be an impossible case?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2013 #2
    Can you do this circuit?

attachment.php?attachmentid=58292&stc=1&d=1367133626.png

How does it differ from yours?

Attached Files:

4. Apr 28, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reply.

For that circuit, R3 and R2 would be parallel, so it would be the sum of the reciprocals of R2 and R3. Afterwards, R3+2 will be in series to R1 (Sum of both will give the Req).

My initial assumption was that the circuit I posted was the same as the one you posted, that R3 is parallel to R2, since there's more than 1 flow from R3 to R2. However I read something that confused me, and I just wanted to verify if my assumption was correct.

5. Apr 28, 2013 #4
    Yes, you're assumption was correct, and the 2 circuits are identical.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook