Line Integral of x sin(y) along C: Parametric Equation Help

• Thread starter fball558
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parametric
In summary, a line integral is a type of integral used in multivariable calculus to calculate the sum of a variable's values along a specific path or curve. It is calculated using the formula ∫<sub>C</sub> F(x,y) ds = ∫<sub>a</sub><sup>b</sup> F(x(t), y(t)) * ||r'(t)|| dt, where F(x,y) is the function being integrated, C is the curve or path, and r(t) is the parametric equation of the curve. The integrand in a line integral represents the value of the function at each point on the curve and is related to work, energy, and conservative forces.
fball558

Homework Statement

evaluate the line integral, where C is the given curve
x sin(y)

and line segment from 0,3 to 3,7

i know the formulas and how to do the integrals
the part I am getting stuck on is finding the parametic equation for the function
(x sin(y))
i need this in terms of t because i integrate it with respect to dt.

if you know how to get this to parmetric equations let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't given the equation of your curve. x sin(y) is just an expression. Please state your problem completely and accurately.

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral used in multivariable calculus to calculate the sum of a variable's values along a specific path or curve. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the curve, and is often used to solve problems related to work, energy, and fluid flow.

2. What is the formula for calculating a line integral?

The formula for calculating a line integral is given by ∫C F(x,y) ds = ∫ab F(x(t), y(t)) * ||r'(t)|| dt, where F(x,y) is the function being integrated, C is the curve or path along which the integration is being done, and r(t) is the parametric equation of the curve.

3. How do you calculate a line integral using parametric equations?

To calculate a line integral using parametric equations, you first need to express the curve as a set of parametric equations. Then, you can use the formula ∫ab F(x(t), y(t)) * ||r'(t)|| dt to calculate the integral, where r'(t) is the derivative of r(t) with respect to t.

4. What is the significance of the integrand in a line integral?

The integrand in a line integral represents the value of the function F(x,y) at each point on the curve C. It is multiplied by the length of the curve element ||r'(t)|| at that point, which takes into account the direction and magnitude of the curve, to calculate the total value of the integral along C.

5. How is a line integral related to work and energy?

A line integral can be used to calculate the work done by a force along a given path. It can also be used to calculate potential energy, as the integral of a conservative force field is path-independent and only depends on the endpoints of the curve. In this way, line integrals are useful in solving problems related to work, energy, and conservative forces.