Parametrics (collisions/intersections)

• Thread starter Pi Face
  • Start date
In summary, two curves are given by the equations x=5t^2-3, y=9t+2 and x=8t^2-12, y=7t+4. They are to be checked for collision or intersection. The equations are set equal to each other and solved for t, resulting in t=+/- sqrt(3) and t=1. Since the x values and y values are not the same at the same time, there is no collision. However, there is an intersection if the paths pass the same point at different times. By replacing the "t" in the equations for the second path by s, two equations in s and t are obtained, which can be solved to find
Pi Face

Homework Statement

curve1: x=5t^2-3, y=9t+2

curve2: x=8t^2-12, y=7t+4

find points of collision or intersection, if any

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the x functions or both curves equal to each other and got t=+/- sqrt(3)
I did the same with the y functions and got t=1.
I guess that this shows that there is no collision, but how do I tell if they intersect or not? I graphed this on my calc, and there seems to be an intersection, but how do I solve for it?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could possibly eliminate the parameter for each curve i.e. write each path as a cartesian equation, and then then algebraically solve for where the curves intersect.

Pi Face said:

Homework Statement

curve1: x=5t^2-3, y=9t+2

curve2: x=8t^2-12, y=7t+4

find points of collision or intersection, if any

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the x functions or both curves equal to each other and got t=+/- sqrt(3)
I did the same with the y functions and got t=1.
I guess that this shows that there is no collision, but how do I tell if they intersect or not? I graphed this on my calc, and there seems to be an intersection, but how do I solve for it?
There will be a collision if the two objects are at the same place at the same time. That is, if [itex]5t^2- 3= 8t^2-12[/itex] and [itex]9t+2= 7t+4[/itex] for some t. The first equation reduces easily to [itex]3t^2= 9[/itex] or [itex]t^2= 3[/itex]. The second reduces easily to 2t= 2 or t= 1. Since the two x values and y values are not the same at the same time, there is no collision. That is exactly what you got.

There will be an intersection, but no collision, if the paths pass the same point at different times. Replacing the "t" in the equations for the second path by s, we get [itex]5t^2- 3= 8s^2- 12[/itex] and [itex]9t+ 2= 7s+ 4[/itex]. That gives two equation in s and t. Can you solve those equations?

1. What is parametrics?

Parametrics is a mathematical approach used to study the behavior of objects in motion, specifically in collisions and intersections. It involves the use of equations and graphs to analyze and predict the movement of objects.

2. How does parametrics differ from other methods of studying collisions and intersections?

Parametrics differs from other methods, such as Newton's laws or conservation of momentum, in that it focuses on the mathematical representation of motion rather than the underlying physical forces. It allows for a more precise and quantitative analysis of collisions and intersections.

3. What are the key concepts in parametrics?

The key concepts in parametrics include parameters, which are variables used to represent quantities in motion, and parametric equations, which describe the relationship between these parameters. Other important concepts include vectors, velocity, acceleration, and energy.

4. How is parametrics used in real-world applications?

Parametrics has many real-world applications, including in engineering, physics, and video game design. It is often used to simulate and analyze the behavior of objects in motion, such as in car crashes or the trajectory of a rocket.

5. What are some common challenges in using parametrics?

Some common challenges in using parametrics include accurately determining the initial conditions and parameters of an object in motion, dealing with nonlinear or complex equations, and accounting for external factors such as air resistance or friction. Additionally, interpreting and visualizing the results of parametric equations can be challenging for some individuals.