Parametrics - intersection and collision

In summary, the conversation discusses finding points of intersection and collision between two curves with parametric equations. The approach involves eliminating the parameters and equating the resulting equations in terms of x and y. The first curve has a real intersection at (2,10) and the second curve also has a real intersection, but neither of these points are collisions. The process for finding collisions is also discussed, but the conversation ends without finding any common t values.
Pi Face

Homework Statement

x1t= 2-cos(pi*t)
y1t= 3+7sin(pi*t)

x2t= 3t+2
y2t= -(7/15)(3t+1)2 + 157/15

Find points of intersection and collision

Homework Equations

above?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, to find the intersection I think I need to eliminate the parameters for both equations so I get an equations in terms of x and y, and then set them eqaul to each other.

x=2-3cos(pit)
3cos(pit)=2-x
cos(pit)=(2-x)/3

y=3+7sin(pit)
7sin(pit)=y-3
sin(pit)=(y-3)/7

using the rule cos^2+sin^2=1 and substituting, we get

((y-3)/7)^2 + ((2-x)/3)^2 = 1

I guess we should solve for y here?

Seems a little unwieldy to simplify; is there a trick or something?

Anyways, I used the solve function on my calc and got

y= (7*sqrt(-x^2 + 4x+5) +9) / 3

now on to the other curve

x=3t+2
3t=x-2
t=(x-2)/3

plug the equations for t into the y equation

I really don't know how to deal with this manually. the y2t function is complicated enough by itself, and now i have to replace t with a fraction.

I did however graph the function and i think maybe the answers are t=1 which is (5,3) and t=1/2 which is (2, 10)
not entirely sure.

and then for collision, we set the x functions to be the same?

2-3cos(pit)=3t+2
3cos(pit)=3t
cos(pit)=t
I used a calc and got t= -1, -0.7898, 0.377
can the last two values be represented in fractional from with pi?

now i do the same thing w/ y functions

3+7sin(pit)= -(7/15)(3t+1)2 + 157/15

do i have to pretty much use a calculator for this?

anyways, i got t=-1.208, 0.307, 1, 1.52

none of the t values are the same.

in desperate need of help please >.>

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone? =(

even partial help would be appreciated

Ok, I'll give you partial help. You probably meant "x1t= 2-3*cos(pi*t)" in your problem statement, right? Since that's what you used in trying to solve it. I think you are taking the correct approach. (2,10) is an intersection. I don't think it's a collision, can you tell me why? There's another real intersection as well, which I'm pretty sure is not a collision. You are pretty good at this, just keep working on it and I'll check in tomorrow. Sorry, it's really late here.

1. What is parametrics?

Parametrics is a mathematical approach used to describe and analyze relationships between variables, usually in the form of equations and graphs.

2. What is the concept of intersection in parametrics?

In parametrics, intersection refers to the point or points where two or more curves or lines cross each other on a graph. This can also be thought of as the solution to a system of equations.

3. How is collision related to parametrics?

In the context of parametrics, collision refers to the point where two objects or particles meet or come into contact with each other. This can be represented by the intersection of their respective parametric equations.

4. What are some real-life applications of parametrics?

Parametrics has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It is commonly used to model and analyze motion, such as the movement of objects or particles in space.

5. How can parametrics be used to solve problems?

Parametrics can be used to solve various types of problems, such as finding the intersection point of two lines, determining the time and location of a collision between two moving objects, or predicting the behavior of a system over time. By representing these problems with parametric equations and graphs, solutions can be easily calculated and analyzed.