Parametrized Curve on the Function f(x, y) = x^2 - y^2 + 4?

• Thread starter icosane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary, the problem is to show that the parametrized curve r=<t+(1/t),t-(1/t),8> lies on the curve f(x, y) = x^2 - y^2 + 4. The solution involves substituting the components of r into the equation for f and showing that they satisfy the equation.
icosane

Homework Statement

6. Show that the parametrized curve r=<t+(1/t),t-(1/t),8> lies on the curve f(x, y) = x^2 - y^2 + 4? Show your calculations.

2. The attempt at a solution

I don't know where to start. I've just been plugging in random x and y and t values and haven't had any luck or insight on how to solve this problem. Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the problem is stated correctly? You have given a curve in 3-space and your equation f(x,y) defines a surface in 3-space, not a curve. You might write its equation as:

z = x2 - y2 + 4

Check whether r(t) lies on that surface (plug in the values).

Hi icosane,

Well first ill assume that f(x,y) = z. Perhaps this is something that you forgot to include, or perhaps it inst specified in the question, which might then be where all the confusion lies. So considering the two equations:

[tex]
\textbf{r}\ = \ <t+(1/t),t-(1/t),8> \ \ (i)
[/tex]

[tex]
f(x, y) = x^2 - y^2 + 4
[/tex]

or

[tex]
z = x^2 - y^2 + 4 \ \ (ii)
[/tex]

now consider equation (ii), we have three variables, do we have any expression we can substitute for them, do I hear (i) calling. From hear you should be able to show using equation (i) that the components of (i) satisfy (ii). Have a go :D

The exact wording of the question is,

6. Which of the following parametrized curves lie on the graph of the function f(x, y) =
x^2 - y2 + 4? Show your calculations.
r1(t) = (t + 1/t)i + (t - 1/t )j + 8k.
r2(t) = sin(t)i + cos(t)j + 4k

This question was written by the professor and it likely was the wording that confused me. I see that if I let f(x,y) = z, then let x = t+1/t, y = t-1/t, and z = 8 * plug this into the original equation x^2-y^2+4 = z everything seems to work out. Thanks guys.

1. What is a parametrized curve?

A parametrized curve is a mathematical concept used to describe a curve in terms of one or more parameters. It is often represented by a set of equations or functions that express the coordinates of points on the curve in terms of the parameters.

2. How is a parametrized curve different from a regular curve?

A parametrized curve is different from a regular curve because it is described in terms of parameters rather than just x and y coordinates. This allows for more flexibility and control in defining the curve.

3. How is the function f(x, y) = x^2 - y^2 + 4 related to the parametrized curve?

The function f(x, y) = x^2 - y^2 + 4 is the equation of the curve in terms of x and y coordinates. By plugging in different values for x and y, we can create a set of points that define the curve.

4. How do you determine the direction of a parametrized curve?

The direction of a parametrized curve is determined by the direction in which the parameter increases. For example, if the parameter is t and it increases from 0 to 1, the curve will be traced in the direction of increasing t.

5. What is the significance of the constant 4 in the function f(x, y) = x^2 - y^2 + 4?

The constant 4 in the function f(x, y) = x^2 - y^2 + 4 does not affect the shape of the curve, but rather shifts it vertically by 4 units. This means that all points on the curve will have a y-coordinate that is 4 units higher than the corresponding point on the curve f(x, y) = x^2 - y^2.