1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivatives extensive use

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

let u be a function of x and y.using x=rcosθ y=rsinθ,transform the following expressions in the terms of partial derivatives with respect to polar coordinates:(d^u/dx^2(double derivative of u with respect to x)+d^2u/dy^2(double derivative of u with respect to y)
    2. Relevant equations
    chain rule in partial derivatives

3. The attempt at a solution
    first i differentiated u with respect to theta by using chain rule and then with respect to r also by using chain rule.first has no r term wheras 2nd has r terms so no way the terms can cancel also.please tell me how to proceed or method i should use to solve this problem

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Are these the partials you need to find?

$$ \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial r^2}~ \text{and}~\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial^2 \theta}$$

If so, what did you get for these first partials?
    $$ \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}$$
    $$ \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}$$

For problems like this I find it helpful to draw a diagram of the relationships between all the variables.
    Code (Text):

x ------ θ
     /
    u
      \  y -------r

Although I can't show them, there are also lines between x and r and between y and θ.

The idea is that there are two ways to get from u to θ (through x and y), and there are two ways to get from u to r (also through x and y). This helps to get across the idea that each partial involves the sum of two terms.

Using subscripts to indicate partials, and letting u = f(x, y), we have
    uθ = fx * xθ + fy * yθ, and
    ur = fx * xr + fy * yr

To get the second partials (we don't call them double partials), you need to differentiate uθ with respect to θ, and differentiate ur with respect to r.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook