1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivatives of Gas Law

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    In James Stewart's Calculus exercise 82 page 891 asks you to show that:

[itex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial V}\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\frac{\partial T}{\partial P} = -1[/itex]

I can do this by noting that [itex]V = \frac{nRT}{P}[/itex] so that:

[itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial T}\left(\frac{nRT}{P}\right)[/itex] = [itex]\frac{nR}{P}[/itex]

and then doing likewise to find the other terms.

But this confuses me because I have treated P as a constant like n and R while it is actually a function of T and V. If I make it a function of T and V I get stuck and anyway the thing gets a lot more complicated than the exercise intends. So how can I just treat P as a constant when I know its not?

Thanks for any help, Peter

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2011 #2
    When you take a partial derivative of a function of several variables, everything except the variable you are taking the derivative of are considered a constant. All I think the exercise is doing is asking you to take the three partials and multiply them together recognizing that PV in the denominator equals nRT so they cancel leaving -1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook