Partial differential wave (d'Alembert) solution check please

In summary: Take a closer look at your post #7. There is some cancellation. As it is there, everything cancels, but with the corrected sign it will give the desired result.
CannonSLX

Homework Statement

b8f51c84324a8364505a475d8662d689.png

Homework Equations

General wave solution y=f(x+ct)+g(x-ct) [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

bbf7c0dff04ce106c980c48071919be2.png
[/B]

Graphical sketch
d97087e75f77218f70b6dcc41971bef5.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution to the first part is essentially right, but the logic flow is backwards. You have shown that if the differential equation has solutions of the given form then the parameter must be ±2. You were asked to show that with a parameter of either of those values a function of the proposed form is a solution to the equation.

For the second part, I'm not sure what is wanted, so cannot comment.

In the last part, did you check that your answer satisfies the boundary conditions?

haruspex said:
Your solution to the first part is essentially right, but the logic flow is backwards. You have shown that if the differential equation has solutions of the given form then the parameter must be ±2. You were asked to show that with a parameter of either of those values a function of the proposed form is a solution to the equation.

For the second part, I'm not sure what is wanted, so cannot comment.

In the last part, did you check that your answer satisfies the boundary conditions?
How do I check my answer satisfies the boundary conditions please?

CannonSLX said:
How do I check my answer satisfies the boundary conditions please?
Plug in t=0.

haruspex said:
Plug in t=0.
So is that substituting t=0 into the final solution I have at the bottom right to achieve what exactly, please?

CannonSLX said:
So is that substituting t=0 into the final solution I have at the bottom right to achieve what exactly, please?
To see whether it yields y(x,0)=sin(x).

haruspex said:
To see whether it yields y(x,0)=sin(x).
when t=0
The following occurs

f8a376218620d7e572834602da5b73ed.png

CannonSLX said:
when t=0
The following occurs

View attachment 209329
Which gives 0, not the required sin(x). So find your error.

haruspex said:
Which gives 0, not the required sin(x). So find your error.
Dont see my error from my workings :sorry:

CannonSLX said:
Dont see my error from my workings :sorry:
Look at the equation where you introduce the constant B. Check the sign of the sin(x) term.

haruspex said:
Look at the equation where you introduce the constant B. Check the sign of the sin(x) term.
I see, it should be + sin(x)/2

But I don't see how substituting t=0 will provide the result of y(x,0)=sin(x), as its sin(x)/2 along with an exponential function.

CannonSLX said:
I see, it should be + sin(x)/2

But I don't see how substituting t=0 will provide the result of y(x,0)=sin(x), as its sin(x)/2 along with an exponential function.
Take a closer look at your post #7. There is some cancellation. As it is there, everything cancels, but with the corrected sign it will give the desired result.

1. What is a partial differential wave (d'Alembert) solution?

A partial differential wave (d'Alembert) solution is a mathematical solution to a wave equation that involves partial derivatives. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model the behavior of waves in different systems.

2. How is the d'Alembert solution derived?

The d'Alembert solution is derived by using the method of separation of variables. This involves breaking down the wave equation into simpler equations and solving them individually, then combining the solutions to get the overall solution.

3. What are some applications of the d'Alembert solution?

The d'Alembert solution is used in many fields, including acoustics, electromagnetics, and fluid dynamics. It can be used to model sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves, among others.

4. How can the d'Alembert solution be verified?

The d'Alembert solution can be verified by plugging it back into the original wave equation and checking that it satisfies the equation. Additionally, it can be compared to experimental data or other known solutions to ensure its accuracy.

5. Are there any limitations to the d'Alembert solution?

Yes, there are some limitations to the d'Alembert solution. It is only applicable to linear, homogeneous wave equations and may not accurately model certain types of waves, such as shock waves. It also assumes ideal conditions and may not account for external factors that can affect wave behavior.