Graphing solutions to PDEs at various times

In summary, a PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation used to model physical phenomena in various fields. Graphing solutions to PDEs at different times helps to visualize and understand the behavior and properties of the solution. Common techniques for graphing solutions include contour plots, surface plots, and vector field plots. The initial and boundary conditions play a significant role in determining the shape and behavior of the solution. Knowledge of graphing solutions to PDEs can be applied in real-world scenarios such as predicting heat transfer, fluid flow, and population dynamics, and designing and optimizing systems and processes in different industries.
sxal96

Homework Statement

Graph snapshots of the solution in the x-u plane for various times t if

\begin{align*}
f(x) =
\begin{cases}
& 3, \text{if } -4 \leq x \leq 0 \\
& 2, \text{if } 4 \leq x \leq 8 \\
& 0, \text{otherwise}
\end{cases}
\end{align*}

Homework Equations

Assuming that c=1 and g(x) = 0, D'Alembert's solution for this question is $$f(x) = \frac{1}{2} \left(f(x+ct) - f(x-ct)\right)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm struggling with this problem in its entirety. I don't understand how to graph the solution and why it's a rectangular box that is basically reversal of what seems to make sense when plugging in various values for x based off of the equation's characteristics. Conceptually, I realize that it is an infinite string and there's shifting of two waves that will overlap for some points. What I don't understand is how to go about drawing these graphs by hand. I confirmed with a classmate that the 'endpoints' for t are t = 2, t = 4, t = 4, and t = 6, based on the fact that t = distance/velocity.

Please explain this to me like I'm 5. I tried Googling the concept to death and came short, and my professor and the textbook aren't particularly helpful. Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
sxal96 said:

Homework Statement

Graph snapshots of the solution in the x-u plane for various times t if

\begin{align*}
f(x) =
\begin{cases}
& 3, \text{if } -4 \leq x \leq 0 \\
& 2, \text{if } 4 \leq x \leq 8 \\
& 0, \text{otherwise}
\end{cases}
\end{align*}

Homework Equations

Assuming that c=1 and g(x) = 0, D'Alembert's solution for this question is $$f(x) = \frac{1}{2} \left(f(x+ct) - f(x-ct)\right)$$

That would be ##u(x,t)= \frac{1}{2} \left(f(x+ct) + f(x-ct)\right)##. Don't call the solution ##f(x)## and note the two terms are added, not subtracted.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm struggling with this problem in its entirety. I don't understand how to graph the solution and why it's a rectangular box that is basically reversal of what seems to make sense when plugging in various values for x based off of the equation's characteristics. Conceptually, I realize that it is an infinite string and there's shifting of two waves that will overlap for some points. What I don't understand is how to go about drawing these graphs by hand. I confirmed with a classmate that the 'endpoints' for t are t = 2, t = 4, t = 4, and t = 6, based on the fact that t = distance/velocity.

Please explain this to me like I'm 5. I tried Googling the concept to death and came short, and my professor and the textbook aren't particularly helpful. Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

So ##c=1## and your equation is $$u(x,t)= \frac{1}{2} \left(f(x+t) + f(x-t)\right)= \frac{1}{2} f(x+t) + \frac 1 2 f(x-t)$$.
When ##t=0## you have ##u(x,0) = \frac{1}{2} f(x) + \frac 1 2 f(x)=f(x)##. I presume you can draw that, right? Now say you want a picture when ##t=1## so you want to draw ##u(x,1) = \frac{1}{2} f(x+1) + \frac 1 2 f(x-1)##. So start with a graph of ##\frac 1 2 f(x)## drawn very lightly. Then draw on the same picture, maybe with two colored pencils, one copy of your light graph translated left one unit and one translated right one unit. Now you can erase the light graph, and with a dark pencil add the ordinates visually of your two translated functions. This dark graph is ##u(x,1)##. The two waves have moved one unit. Now do it with ##t=2## and other values of ##t##. The graph of ##u(x,t)## gets more interesting when the waves overlap and add. You will want to do enough values of ##t## to see what happens once the waves get past overlapping.

Likes sxal96
LCKurtz said:
That would be ##u(x,t)= \frac{1}{2} \left(f(x+ct) + f(x-ct)\right)##. Don't call the solution ##f(x)## and note the two terms are added, not subtracted.
So ##c=1## and your equation is $$u(x,t)= \frac{1}{2} \left(f(x+t) + f(x-t)\right)= \frac{1}{2} f(x+t) + \frac 1 2 f(x-t)$$.
When ##t=0## you have ##u(x,0) = \frac{1}{2} f(x) + \frac 1 2 f(x)=f(x)##. I presume you can draw that, right? Now say you want a picture when ##t=1## so you want to draw ##u(x,1) = \frac{1}{2} f(x+1) + \frac 1 2 f(x-1)##. So start with a graph of ##\frac 1 2 f(x)## drawn very lightly. Then draw on the same picture, maybe with two colored pencils, one copy of your light graph translated left one unit and one translated right one unit. Now you can erase the light graph, and with a dark pencil add the ordinates visually of your two translated functions. This dark graph is ##u(x,1)##. The two waves have moved one unit. Now do it with ##t=2## and other values of ##t##. The graph of ##u(x,t)## gets more interesting when the waves overlap and add. You will want to do enough values of ##t## to see what happens once the waves get past overlapping.
Thanks for your response. So, if I wanted to have a graph represent ##0 \leq x \leq 2##, would I essentially combine the translated graphs for ## t = 0, t = 1,## and ## t = 2##? Or would there be an emerging trend/'pattern' between values for ##t## that I would graph?

sxal96 said:
Thanks for your response. So, if I wanted to have a graph represent ##0 \leq x \leq 2##, would I essentially combine the translated graphs for ## t = 0, t = 1,## and ## t = 2##? Or would there be an emerging trend/'pattern' between values for ##t## that I would graph?

You will want several values of ##t##, enough so that the waves pass through each other. I would plot the graph pn something like ##[-10,15]## so you can see what is happening. You can always look at just ##[0,2]## when you are done. You might be interested to see the animation on my web page showing a vibrating string as the sum of traveling waves. Look at math.asu.edu/~kurtz if you are interested.

Last edited:
Likes sxal96

What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to model physical phenomena in many fields including physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the purpose of graphing solutions to PDEs at various times?

The purpose of graphing solutions to PDEs at various times is to visualize how the solution changes over time. This can provide insights into the behavior and properties of the solution, and can also help in predicting future behavior.

What are some common techniques for graphing solutions to PDEs?

Some common techniques for graphing solutions to PDEs include using contour plots, surface plots, and vector field plots. These techniques help to visualize the magnitude and direction of the solution at different points in space and time.

How do the initial conditions and boundary conditions affect the graph of a PDE solution?

The initial conditions and boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the shape and behavior of the solution to a PDE. They provide constraints on the solution and help to uniquely determine it.

How can knowledge of graphing solutions to PDEs be applied in real-world scenarios?

The ability to graph solutions to PDEs is essential in many scientific and engineering fields. It can be used to model and predict various phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and population dynamics. This knowledge can also be applied in designing and optimizing systems and processes in various industries.