Partial fraction decomposition

In summary, the given expression can be simplified to $\frac{x}{x^2-2xy+2y^2}-\frac{x}{x^2+2xy+2y^2}$.
Drain Brain
please help decompose$\frac{4x^2y}{(x^2-2xy+2y^2)(x^2+2xy+2y^2)}$

I've used the cases I know for this problem but to no avail. please help me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This takes a bit of trickery, note that :

$$\begin{align}\frac{4x^2y}{(x^2-2xy+2y^2)(x^2+2xy+2y^2)} &= \frac{x \cdot 4xy}{(x^2-2xy+2y^2)(x^2+2xy+2y^2)} \\ &= x \cdot \frac{(x^2+2xy+2y^2) - (x^2-2xy+2y^2)}{(x^2-2xy+2y^2)(x^2+2xy+2y^2)}\end{align}$$

Can you proceed?

mathbalarka said:
This takes a bit of trickery, note that :

$$\begin{align}\frac{4x^2y}{(x^2-2xy+2y^2)(x^2+2xy+2y^2)} &= \frac{x \cdot 4xy}{(x^2-2xy+2y^2)(x^2+2xy+2y^2)} \\ &= x \cdot \frac{(x^2+2xy+2y^2) - (x^2-2xy+2y^2)}{(x^2-2xy+2y^2)(x^2+2xy+2y^2)}\end{align}$$

Can you proceed?

sure, from here It seems that I can decompose it. but how come you replaced $4xy$ to $(x^2+2xy+2y^2) - (x^2-2xy+2y^2)$ ??

Uh, not sure if I understand your question, but it follows from basic algebra

$$(x^2+2xy+2y^2) - (x^2-2xy+2y^2) = \cancel{\color{red}{x^2}} + 2xy + \cancel{\color{green}{2y^2}} - \cancel{\color{red}{x^2}} + 2xy - \cancel{\color{green}{2y^2}} = 2xy + 2xy = \boxed{4xy}$$

While mathbalarka's suggestion is quite clever and makes light work of the problem, I would have assumed the decomposition would take the form:

\(\displaystyle \frac{4x^2y}{\left(x^2-2xy+2y^2\right)\left(x^2+2xy+2y^2\right)}=\frac{Ax+By+C}{x^2-2xy+2y^2}+\frac{Dx+Ey+F}{x^2+2xy+2y^2}\)

and then plodded along with the resulting cumbersome algebra.

Hence:

\(\displaystyle 4x^2y=(Ax+By+C)\left(x^2+2xy+2y^2\right)+(Dx+Ey+F)\left(x^2-2xy+2y^2\right)\)

\(\displaystyle 4x^2y=(A+D)x^3+(C+F)x^2+(2A+B-2D+E)x^2y+(2A+2B+2D-2E)xy^2+(2C-2F)xy+(2C+2F)y^2+(2B+2E)y^3\)

Comparing coefficients, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle A+D=0\)

\(\displaystyle C+F=0\)

\(\displaystyle 2A+B-2D+E=4\)

\(\displaystyle A+B+D-E=0\)

\(\displaystyle C-F=0\)

\(\displaystyle B+E=0\)

From the 2nd and 5th equations, we immediately find:

\(\displaystyle C=F=0\)

From the 1st, 4th and 6th, we find:

\(\displaystyle B=E=0\)

Thus, we are left with:

\(\displaystyle A=-D\)

\(\displaystyle A=D+2\)

Thus, \(\displaystyle A=1,\,D=-1\) and so we find:

[box=green]\(\displaystyle \frac{4x^2y}{\left(x^2-2xy+2y^2\right)\left(x^2+2xy+2y^2\right)}=\frac{x}{x^2-2xy+2y^2}-\frac{x}{x^2+2xy+2y^2}\)[/box]

1. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a mathematical method used to break down a rational function into simpler fractions. It involves finding the individual components, or partial fractions, that make up the original function.

2. Why is partial fraction decomposition important?

Partial fraction decomposition is important because it allows us to simplify complex rational functions, making them easier to solve and manipulate. It is also used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics and control systems.

3. How do you perform partial fraction decomposition?

To perform partial fraction decomposition, you first need to factor the denominator of the rational function. Then, you set up a system of equations using the coefficients of each term in the numerator and denominator. Solve for the unknown coefficients and combine the partial fractions to get the final answer.

4. What are the types of partial fractions?

There are two types of partial fractions: proper and improper. Proper fractions have a degree of the numerator that is less than the degree of the denominator, while improper fractions have a degree that is equal to or greater than the degree of the denominator.

5. When is partial fraction decomposition used?

Partial fraction decomposition is commonly used in integration, as it can simplify integrands and make them easier to solve. It is also used in solving differential equations, simplifying complex algebraic expressions, and solving problems in physics and engineering.