Partial fraction decomposition

In summary, the book tells the student to rewrite a rational function as a sum of partial fractions, but does not explain why this is the simplest form.
eric_999
Alright, I am here again with another question...

When I have a rational function, let's say (x+4)/(x-2)(x-3) I rewrite it like A/(x-2) + B(x-3) and then solve it for A & B. But when we have for e.g (x^2 + 3x + 2)/(x(x^2 +1 )) the book tells me to rewrite it like:
A/x + (Bx + C)/(x^2 + 1), and then solve for A & B. I understand that the term x^2 +1 cannot be further decomposed (at least not if we only consider real numbers). However feel I don't get everything.

For example if I instead try to rewrite it on the form A/x + B/(x^2 + 1), so A(x^2 + 1) + Bx = x^2 +3x + 2, so A = 1, B = 3, and A = 2, which is of course impossible. On the other hand I can see that the other form described above (which the book tells me to use) works fine.

The problem is that with different rational functions I might be able to try different strategies and just see which one works out, but I feel i don't understand it the way I want to. In the book they simply say "the rational function P(x)/Q(x) can be expressed as a sum of partial fractions like this: ... but we don't explain it further because this is not a course in algebra" I feel I need to really understand, not just memorize the techniques!

Thanks for help!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are, in fact, a number of ways of finding the coefficients for the fractions. If you have
[tex]\frac{x+ 4}{(x- 2)(x- 3)}= \frac{A}{x- 2}+ \frac{B}{x- 3}[/tex]

1. Do the addition on the right: multiply both numerator and denominator of the first fraction by x- 3 and the numerator and denominator of the second fraction by x- 2:
[tex]\frac{x+ 4}{(x- 2)(x- 3)}= \frac{A(x- 3)}{(x- 2)(x- 3)}+ \frac{B(x- 2)}{(x- 2)(x- 3)}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{Ax- 3A+ Bx- 2B}{(x- 2)(x- 3)}= \frac{(A+ B)x- (3A- 2B)}{(x- 2)(x- 3)}[/tex]
so we must have A+ B= 1 and -3A- 2B= 4.

2. Multiply both sides by (x- 3)(x- 2):
[tex]x+ 4= A(x- 3)+ B(x- 2)= (A+ B)x- (3A+ 2B)[/tex]
so that we have the same two equations.

3. After getting
[tex]x+ 4= A(x- 3)+ B(x- 2)[/tex]
choose any two values you like for x to get two linear equations for A and B.

4. In particular, choosing x= 2 and x= 3 gives very simple, separated, equations: 6= -A and 7= B.

Here is a pdf that makes it nice and clear.

The proof of these decompositions is not going to be too interesting, it'll just show that in each case, for the right coefficients, the simplest form of the numerator is the one given by the theorem.

Thanks!

1. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a mathematical process used to break down a rational function into simpler fractions. This allows us to solve integrals and perform other calculations more easily.

2. When is partial fraction decomposition used?

Partial fraction decomposition is often used in calculus and engineering to simplify complex expressions and solve integrals. It is also useful in solving differential equations and performing inverse Laplace transforms.

3. How is partial fraction decomposition performed?

To perform partial fraction decomposition, we first factor the denominator of the rational function into linear and irreducible quadratic factors. Then, we set up a system of equations to find the unknown coefficients for each term in the decomposed fractions. Finally, we combine the decomposed fractions back together to get the original function.

4. What are the benefits of using partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition allows us to simplify complex rational functions and solve integrals that would otherwise be difficult to solve. It also helps us to understand the behavior of a function and make connections to other mathematical concepts.

5. Are there any limitations to partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition can only be used for rational functions, which are functions that can be expressed as a ratio of two polynomials. It also requires the denominator to be factored into linear and irreducible quadratic factors, which may not always be possible. Additionally, it may not be helpful or necessary in some situations where the function can be easily integrated or simplified without using partial fraction decomposition.