Partial Fractions: Why Does (x+1)2(2x+1) Need 3 Terms?

In summary, when a fraction has repeated linear terms in its denominator, it must be split into three partial fractions in order to decompose it properly. This is because the coefficients or constants in the numerators of the decomposed parts cannot be determined beforehand. Additionally, when the denominator is a linear factor with a multiplicity greater than one, the numerator of the corresponding partial fraction will be a single constant term.
Deep_Thinker97
Why, when a fraction has repeated linear terms in its denominator e.g. (11x2+14x+5)/[(x+1)2(2x+1)] does it have to be split into three partial fractions, A/(x+1) + B/(x+1)2 + C/(2x+1)?
When my first saw this example, my initial reaction was to split it into A/(x+1)2 +B/(2x+1), but after working through this, I realized my method was wrong. Why doesn't it work? I don't want a worked answer to the example because I already know what it is. I just want a genuine logical reason to why the former works and the latter doesn't.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you leave out 1/(x+1) then the numerator for 1/(x+1)² will be of the form Ax+B.

Likes symbolipoint
Deep_Thinker97,
Try making a couple of simple examples.
Partial fraction decomposition is a way to find what the original fractions were before they were added (or subtracted).

What must be done to sum 3/(x+1)+8/(x+1)^2 ?

How about sum of 3/(x+1)+(8x+2)/(x+1)^2 ?

Try sum of 3/(x+1)+0/(x+1)^2 ?You always start with proper fractions.
In summing the original fractions, you need to bring some of them to higher terms in order to sum, so you need to find the lowest common denominator.

When you want to decompose a rational expression (partial fraction decomposition), you do not know in advance what are the coefficients or constants in the numerators of the decomposed parts.

mathman said:
If you leave out 1/(x+1) then the numerator for 1/(x+1)² will be of the form Ax+B.
Yes. One does not know the values of the coefficient and constant term until one has finished the decomposition work.

Excuse my comment there, since what I said was not exactly what should have been.

Last edited:
mathman said:
Checking about that required some review or restudy. The denominator (x+1) is linear, but it is used as multiplicity of 2; still it is a LINEAR factor. The numerator used for the partial fraction will be just a single constant. If the denominator factor were QUADRATIC AND NOT FACTORABLE in real numbers, then that numerator would be of the form Ax+B.

symbolipoint said:
Checking about that required some review or restudy. The denominator (x+1) is linear, but it is used as multiplicity of 2; still it is a LINEAR factor. The numerator used for the partial fraction will be just a single constant. If the denominator factor were QUADRATIC AND NOT FACTORABLE in real numbers, then that numerator would be of the form Ax+B.
Nope - why not factorable?.
a/(x+1)+b/(x+1)^2=(ax+(a+b))/(x+1)^2

mathman said:
Nope - why not factorable?.
a/(x+1)+b/(x+1)^2=(ax+(a+b))/(x+1)^2
The denominator factor of x+1 is linear. The original rational expression to decompose would contain a denominator (x+1)(x+1)=(x+1)^2=x^2+2x+1, the right side being a FACTORABLE quadratic.

All I could try now is to take the original poster's rational expression and work it on paper to decompose into its partial fractions.

Last edited:
Deep_Thinker97 said:
A/(x+1) + B/(x+1)2 + C/(2x+1)?
I agree with the second partial fraction expression with the constant, B, because the denominator is from having the linear x+1 with exponent 2.

Multiplying by the denominator of the original expression gives
11x^2+14x+5=A(x+1)(2x+1)+B(2x+1)+c(x+1)^2

Working with the right hand side,
arranging in decreasing terms of x,
(2A+C)x^2+(3A+2B+2C)x+(A+B+C)My best understanding here is that if denominator had a non-factorable x^2+mx+n, then this needs a numerator like Bx+D for a partial fraction.

Deep_Thinker97 already found his answers.

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used in algebra to break down a complex fraction into simpler fractions. It involves decomposing a fraction with a polynomial denominator into a sum of smaller fractions with simpler denominators.

2. Why do we need to use partial fractions?

Partial fractions are used to solve integration problems and to simplify complex fractions in algebraic equations. It allows us to break down a complicated equation into smaller, more manageable parts, making it easier to solve.

3. Why does (x+1)2(2x+1) need 3 terms in partial fractions?

This particular polynomial requires 3 terms in partial fractions because it is a second-degree polynomial (degree of 2). For every degree of a polynomial, we need to have one term in the partial fraction decomposition. Since this polynomial is of degree 2, we need 2+1=3 terms.

4. Can we use more than 3 terms in partial fractions?

Yes, we can use more than 3 terms in partial fractions if the polynomial has a higher degree. For example, a polynomial of degree 3 would require 4 terms in partial fractions.

5. How do we determine the coefficients for each term in partial fractions?

The coefficients for each term in partial fractions are determined by equating the original fraction to the sum of the partial fractions and then solving for the unknown coefficients using algebraic techniques such as cross-multiplication or substitution.