Partial or total derivative in Faraday's law

In summary, there is a subtle difference between the differential and integral forms of Faraday's law. In the differential form, the partial time derivative is written, while in the integral form, it is simply the time derivative. The integral form integrates out the position dependence and is only valid if the surface and its boundary of integration are at rest. The correct integral form is given by the Heaviside-Lorentz units. There is also a version of the integral form that uses Stoke's theorem, but it only applies when the area integrated and its boundary do not move. It is important to learn both the differential and integral forms of the law, and it is bad that the incorrect version is often taught.
DoobleD
I just realized there's a little difference between the differential and integral forms of Faraday's law I didn't notice earlier. In the differential form, it is the partial time derivative that is written, while in integral form, it is simply the time derivative.

FaradaysbsDiO.png

Why is that ?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the differential form, ##\vec E## and ##\vec B## are functions of position (e.g. x, y, z) and time t.

In the integral form, the integral(s) integrate out the position dependence of ##\vec E## and ##\vec B##, so the left and right sides of the equation depend on time only.

Note, however, that the left-hand side (integral form) is not the general one. It's only valid if the surface and its boundary of integration are at rest. This is a source of endless confusion to students. It's always save to start from the local (differential) form of the laws, i.e., Maxwell's equations. For the correct integral form of Faraday's Law (in Heaviside-Lorentz units),
$$\frac{1}{c} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \int_{\Sigma} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{S} \cdot \vec{B} = -\mathcal{E}=-\int_{\partial \Sigma} \mathrm{d} \vec{r} \cdot \left (\vec{E}+\frac{\vec{v}}{c} \times \vec{B} \right)$$
see the excellent Wikipedia article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday's_law_of_induction#Proof_of_Faraday.27s_law

Likes DoobleD
Thanks ! That seems kind of important, it sucks we don't hear about it when we first learn about Maxwell's equations.

Anyway, I'm still trying to understand this subtle point. Is the following form correct also in the general case (I just apply Stoke's theorem) ?

$$\oint \vec E \cdot d \vec l = \iint_S (\nabla \times \vec E) \cdot d \vec S= \iint_S -\frac {\partial \vec B} {\partial t} \cdot d \vec S$$

EDIT: Maybe Stokes theorem only applies when the area integrated and its boundary do not move ?

This is of course also correct. It's just integrating the fundamental law, i.e., Maxwell's equation (Faraday's law of induction) over a surface ##S## and then applies Stokes's theorem. The tricky point is to correctly move the time derivative out of the integral. If the surface (and thus also its boundary) is not moving, it's trivial. You just take it out of the integral. If the boundary, however, is moving, you have to use the correct formula, which is proven in the Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday's_law_of_induction#Proof_of_Faraday.27s_law

Likes DoobleD and MisterX
Ok, I finally got it ! Thank you for the explanations and the wiki link, great indeed.

It really is bad the integral form of the law we usually learn, ##\oint \vec E \cdot d \vec l = - \frac {d} {dt} \iint_S \vec B \cdot d \vec S## is not correct in general. I don't understand why it is taught. We should learn, in addition to the differential form, either the inside partial time derivative form ##\oint \vec E \cdot d \vec l = \iint_S -\frac {\partial \vec B} {\partial t} \cdot d \vec S## or the probably more useful outside time derivative = EMF form, ##\oint (\vec E + \vec v \times \vec B) \cdot d \vec l = - \frac {d} {dt} \iint_S \vec B \cdot d \vec S##, or both.

1. What is a partial derivative in Faraday's law?

A partial derivative in Faraday's law refers to the rate of change of the magnetic flux with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. It is used to calculate the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a conductive loop as a result of a changing magnetic field.

2. How is a partial derivative used in Faraday's law?

A partial derivative is used in Faraday's law to determine the magnitude and direction of the induced EMF in a conductive loop. It helps to quantify the relationship between the changing magnetic field and the induced EMF, and is an essential tool for understanding and predicting electromagnetic phenomena.

3. What is a total derivative in Faraday's law?

A total derivative in Faraday's law refers to the rate of change of the magnetic flux with respect to time. It takes into account all variables that may affect the magnetic flux, including changes in the magnetic field, the geometry of the loop, and the conductivity of the material.

4. How is a total derivative different from a partial derivative in Faraday's law?

A total derivative takes into account all variables that may affect the magnetic flux, while a partial derivative only considers the rate of change of the flux with respect to one variable while holding others constant. Additionally, a total derivative is a more general representation of Faraday's law, while a partial derivative is a specific case.

5. Why is the concept of partial and total derivatives important in Faraday's law?

The concept of partial and total derivatives is important in Faraday's law because it allows scientists to quantitatively understand and predict the behavior of electromagnetic phenomena. By understanding how changes in variables affect the induced EMF, scientists can design and optimize devices such as generators and motors, and also study the fundamental principles of electromagnetism.