1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partials of an Organ Pipe

1. Feb 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What are the fundamental and first overtone (second partial) of an open (at both ends)
    organ pipe 16 ft long?

2. Relevant equations
    V=fλ

3. The attempt at a solution
    V=fλ
    343=f8
    42.9 hz= f

I'm just not sure how to find partials :/ All help is appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If I'm interpreting that equation correctly, you're saying the fundamental wavelength in a 16ft doubly open pipe is 8m. That's a bit inaccurate. How do you arrive at that?
    For the first overtone, how many wavelengths in the pipe?

4. Feb 23, 2014 #3
    Well, I wouldn't say arrived so much as blundered into it lol. I don't really understand the question or partials so from everything I was able to find on partials I guessed 8. From the information the other things I could think of would be 16 or 2. I could provide the links to this information. I was kind of just throwing darts with something I didn't understand

5. Feb 23, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Maybe I should have emphasised parts of my question: 16 feet.... 8 metres.
    Do you know about nodes and antinodes? Do you get a node or antinode at the open end of a pipe? Can you draw a diagram?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted