Partials of an Organ Pipe

• Thread starter Mozzalicious
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pipe
In summary, the discussion is about finding the fundamental and first overtone (second partial) of an open organ pipe that is 16 ft long. The equation V=fλ is mentioned, and it is suggested that the fundamental wavelength in a 16 ft doubly open pipe is 8 m, leading to a discussion about the accuracy of this estimation. The concept of partials is also brought up, with the questioner admitting to not fully understanding it and making a guess of 8 for the number of wavelengths in the pipe. However, the responder emphasizes the units used in the question, 16 feet and 8 meters, and asks the questioner to consider the concept of nodes and antinodes and draw a diagram.
Mozzalicious

Homework Statement

What are the fundamental and first overtone (second partial) of an open (at both ends)
organ pipe 16 ft long?

Homework Equations

V=fλ

The Attempt at a Solution

V=fλ
343=f8
42.9 hz= f

I'm just not sure how to find partials :/ All help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Mozzalicious said:
V=fλ
343=f8
If I'm interpreting that equation correctly, you're saying the fundamental wavelength in a 16ft doubly open pipe is 8m. That's a bit inaccurate. How do you arrive at that?
For the first overtone, how many wavelengths in the pipe?

haruspex said:
If I'm interpreting that equation correctly, you're saying the fundamental wavelength in a 16ft doubly open pipe is 8m. That's a bit inaccurate. How do you arrive at that?
For the first overtone, how many wavelengths in the pipe?

Well, I wouldn't say arrived so much as blundered into it lol. I don't really understand the question or partials so from everything I was able to find on partials I guessed 8. From the information the other things I could think of would be 16 or 2. I could provide the links to this information. I was kind of just throwing darts with something I didn't understand

Mozzalicious said:
Well, I wouldn't say arrived so much as blundered into it lol. I don't really understand the question or partials so from everything I was able to find on partials I guessed 8. From the information the other things I could think of would be 16 or 2. I could provide the links to this information. I was kind of just throwing darts with something I didn't understand

Maybe I should have emphasised parts of my question: 16 feet... 8 metres.
Do you know about nodes and antinodes? Do you get a node or antinode at the open end of a pipe? Can you draw a diagram?

!

The fundamental frequency of an open organ pipe is given by the equation f = (nv)/2L, where n is the harmonic number (1 for the fundamental), v is the speed of sound, and L is the length of the pipe. In this case, the length of the pipe is 16 ft and the speed of sound is approximately 343 m/s. Thus, the fundamental frequency is:

f = (1*343)/(2*16) = 10.72 Hz

The first overtone (second partial) is the second harmonic, so n = 2. The equation for the second harmonic is f = (2v)/2L. Plugging in the values, we get:

f = (2*343)/(2*16) = 21.44 Hz

Therefore, the fundamental frequency of the open organ pipe is 10.72 Hz and the first overtone is 21.44 Hz.

1. What is an "organ pipe partial"?

An organ pipe partial is a specific frequency component of the sound produced by an organ pipe. It is created by the vibration of the air inside the pipe, and is responsible for the unique pitch and timbre of the sound.

2. How are the partials of an organ pipe produced?

When air is forced through an organ pipe, it creates standing waves inside the pipe. These standing waves have specific frequencies, known as partials, that are determined by the length, diameter, and material of the pipe. As the air vibrates, it produces these partials, which combine to create the overall sound of the pipe.

3. How many partials does an organ pipe have?

The number of partials an organ pipe has depends on the length and diameter of the pipe. Generally, a pipe will have anywhere from 5 to 15 partials, with the fundamental frequency being the lowest and most prominent.

4. What is the importance of partials in organ pipe sound production?

Partials play a crucial role in creating the unique sound of an organ pipe. They determine the pitch and timbre of the sound, and can be manipulated by adjusting the length, diameter, and material of the pipe. By controlling the partials, organ builders can create a wide range of sounds and tones.

5. Can the partials of an organ pipe be changed or altered?

Yes, the partials of an organ pipe can be changed by adjusting the length, diameter, and material of the pipe. This is often done during the construction or tuning of an organ to achieve specific pitches and timbres. Some organs also have mechanisms, such as stops and sliders, that can alter the partials in real-time while the organ is being played.