Particle Accelerator for Uncharged Particles?

In summary, particle accelerators use the electromagnetic field to accelerate charged particles and it is not possible to build a particle accelerator for uncharged particles. While neutral particles can be produced in accelerators, they are not accelerated and the accelerators are only used to produce them, not to accelerate them. Gravity is not considered a force in the GR view, but rather a field of acceleration.
LarryS
Gold Member
Particle accelerators use the electromagnetic field to accelerate charged particles.

Would it be possible to build a particle accelerator for uncharged particles? Say we are given a narrow beam of neutrons. How could we accelerate them so that the accelerated particles were still in a well-defined narrow beam?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
They have been around for a while now.

http://nucla.physics.ucla.edu/sites/default/files/kmahn_ucla_accnu_v1.pdf

Likes Tom.G and FactChecker
Fervent Freyja said:
They have been around for a while now.

http://nucla.physics.ucla.edu/sites/default/files/kmahn_ucla_accnu_v1.pdf

While these are indeed beams of neutrinos (though with huge size and ##\Delta E## compared to beams of charged particles), they aren't well-defined, narrow, accelerated beams, which is what the OP was asking. These are beams that are produced by reactions of accelerated charged particles. Once you produce neutrinos via pion decay, the energy you have is the energy you get. You can't manipulate them.

The story is similar in neutron beams. Given, say, a thermal flux of neutrons from a reactor, you can use collimators and monochromators to restrict the size and energy of the neutrons by essentially filtering out unwanted energies, but you cannot accelerate them. You can also produce high energy neutrons in nuclear reactions, but like the neutrino case, it's the reaction and velocity of the accelerated charged particles that determines the velocity of the neutrons.

Of course, neutrons have a magnetic moment, so you can manipulate them through their magnetic moment. But in most cases this effect is negligible. The exception is ultracold neutrons, which are very very slow, so the effect is non-negligable. They are slow enough (neV) that you can trap them. This trapping process involves de-accelerating the neutrons. Naturally, the same method can also be used to accelerate them, but only to a small extent (until they were no longer ultracold). The limiting factor is magnet strength.

Likes Fervent Freyja and mfb
Secondary beams are the only option for high energies. Shoot accelerated charged particles on a target. That releases neutrons and produces neutral kaons, it also produces charged pions which then release neutrinos in their decay. The relative production rates depend on the collision partners and the energy.

Likes Fervent Freyja
referframe said:
Particle accelerators use the electromagnetic field to accelerate charged particles.

Would it be possible to build a particle accelerator for uncharged particles? Say we are given a narrow beam of neutrons. How could we accelerate them so that the accelerated particles were still in a well-defined narrow beam?

The answer is "NO". There are no mechanisms to accelerate neutral particles. If there are, we would have used it by now.

Are neutral particles produced from accelerators? Sure! Neutrinos and spallation neutron sources all produce neutral particles in accelerators. But once born, they are not accelerated. The accelerators are merely devices to produce these neutral particles, not to accelerate them.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
The answer is "NO". There are no mechanisms to accelerate neutral particles. If there are, we would have used it by now.

Are neutral particles produced from accelerators? Sure! Neutrinos and spallation neutron sources all produce neutral particles in accelerators. But once born, they are not accelerated. The accelerators are merely devices to produce these neutral particles, not to accelerate them.

Zz.

Makes sense. I know I'm mixing classical mechanics with QM, but my original intention is posing the question was to try to find an example of F=ma in which the "F" was not at its heart electromagnetic.

referframe said:
Makes sense. I know I'm mixing classical mechanics with QM, but my original intention is posing the question was to try to find an example of F=ma in which the "F" was not at its heart electromagnetic.

Then what type of "heart" are you looking for?

Again, if you are asking for our current technology, the answer is obvious in the sense that if this is feasible, we would have done it. And trust me, there are MANY applications that can use a focused neutron beam. We would have done it already.

BTW, this has nothing to do with "QM". The overwhelming majority of the physics involved in particle accelerators is classical E&M.

Zz.

referframe said:
Gravity?

Likes LarryS, kith, DrClaude and 1 other person
Well you won't reach high speeds in our solar system, but that is not necessary to demonstrate F=ma.

mfb said:
Gravity?
Is gravity still considered a force? I thought the GR view was that it was a field of acceleration, not a field of force.

Newtonian physics is a perfecly valid model for everyday objects. It is not exact, but neither is the Lorentz force as an electromagnetic example of a force (because it does not consider quantum mechanics).

Likes e.bar.goum
We have hydrogen neutral beams. But these are basically proton beams that are fired through a gas to neutralize them, and a bending magnet removes the unneutralized ions.

1. What is a particle accelerator for uncharged particles?

A particle accelerator for uncharged particles is a machine that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate and manipulate uncharged particles, such as neutrons or neutrinos. It is also known as a neutral particle accelerator or a neutral beam injector.

2. How does a particle accelerator for uncharged particles work?

A particle accelerator for uncharged particles works by using a series of electric and magnetic fields to accelerate and steer the particles. The particles are injected into the accelerator and then passed through a series of accelerating structures, such as radiofrequency cavities, to increase their speed.

3. What are the main applications of a particle accelerator for uncharged particles?

Particle accelerators for uncharged particles have a wide range of applications in various fields of research, such as nuclear physics, materials science, and astrophysics. They can also be used in medical applications, such as cancer therapy and radiography.

4. What are the advantages of using a particle accelerator for uncharged particles?

Particle accelerators for uncharged particles offer several advantages over other types of accelerators. They can accelerate particles to higher energies, produce more intense beams, and generate particles with higher velocities. They also allow for precise control and manipulation of the particles.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a particle accelerator for uncharged particles?

Like any other scientific instrument, particle accelerators for uncharged particles have safety protocols in place to ensure the safety of both the operators and the general public. These protocols include shielding, monitoring, and strict operational procedures to minimize any potential risks.