Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle Accelerator

1. Jul 11, 2012 #1
    I wonder if a simple particle accelerator that can be homemade. Well, I'm asking that because I recently read a book by Prof. Dr. Michio Kaku, "Physics of the Impossible" and he said in his book that he built a particle accelerator in his garage when he was in high school.

I don't understand why Prof. Kaku would lie about such thing, so I thought it would be worthy seeking this simple model that he talk about in his book.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2012 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

An evacuated tube such as a CRT that was commonly used in old TV sets and oscilloscopes is an example of a simple electron accelerator. There's nothing highly unusual here.

In fact, in many college physics labs, an experiment using a Bainbridge tube to perform a e/m experiment is also an example of an accelerator.

Zz.

4. Jul 11, 2012 #3
    My goal isn't simply trying to accelerate simple electrons but stronger and higher frequencies such as gamma rays. My hope is that I can generate a beam of gamma rays powerful enough to create anti matter.

5. Jul 11, 2012 #4
    then go look for Na-22....

6. Jul 11, 2012 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Then you won't live very long... not that you'll have the capability to build such a thing in the first place.

Zz.

7. Jul 11, 2012 #6
    Gamma rays travel at the speed of light. This is the fastest they can go. The job is done for you.

8. Jul 11, 2012 #7

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

A particle accelerator more powerful than a CRT is EXTREMELY dangerous. I highly recommend not attempting such a project, as it is possible to harm not just yourself, but your friends and neighbors as well. (Radiation is not something to be toyed with)

9. Jul 12, 2012 #8

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Max Born, Welcome here to Physics Forums! You have given the title of your post as "Particle Accelerator" and now you say you want to generate a beam of gamma rays. You must be careful with your terms in the sciences, or you may get dismissed for being ignorant, and there is no good reason why you should let that to happen to you. Please pay careful attention exactly to what you write: Gamma rays are not particles, they are electromagnetic radiation.

Here is an excerpt from the Wiki page on anti-matter: “…mixing matter and antimatter can lead to the annihilation of both, in the same way that mixing antiparticles and particles does, thus giving rise to high-energy photons (gamma rays) or other particle–antiparticle pairs.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter

Cheers,
    Bobbywhy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook