Particle Collision: 3.00kg & 4.00kg Particles

In summary, the collision between a 3.00 kg particle with velocity (-4.00 m/s) i + (-5.00 m/s) j and a 4.00 kg particle with velocity (5.60 m/s) i + (-1.80 m/s) j results in a combined velocity of (1.60 m/s) i + (-3.90 m/s) j in unit-vector notation, and a magnitude of 4.11 m/s and an angle of 112.48° (counterclockwise from the positive x-axis) in magnitude-angle notation. Formulas used include momentum (p=mv) and vector addition/subtraction, as well as tangent for the angle calculation.
cgarr017
Particle Collision Two A collision occurs between a 3.00 kg particle traveling with velocity v = (-4.00 m/s) i + (-5.00 m/s) j and a 4.00 kg particle traveling with velocity v = (5.60 m/s) i + (-1.80 m/s) j. The collision connects the two particles. What then is their velocity in each of the following notations?
(a) unit-vector notation
( wrong check mark m/s ) i + ( wrong check mark m/s ) j
(b) magnitude-angle notation
m/s angle ° (counterclockwise from the positive x axis)

I would show an attempt at the solution but i have no idea what the formulas are or where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
nobody?

Hey a little late, but I think for this one you have to use

p= momentum= (mass*velocity)

vf = (p1 + p2)/(m1+m2)

for angle, use tangent.

tan(o) = p2/p1

(o) = tan^-1(p2/p1).

With respect to vector notation, i think you just add and subtract, but for angle use Pythagoras, cause you will need v1, and v2 as a quantity.

Related to Particle Collision: 3.00kg & 4.00kg Particles

1. What is particle collision?

Particle collision is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more particles come into contact with each other, resulting in a transfer of energy and potential change in their trajectories.

2. How do you calculate the momentum of a particle?

The momentum of a particle can be calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What happens when a 3.00kg particle collides with a 4.00kg particle?

When a 3.00kg particle collides with a 4.00kg particle, the two particles exchange energy and momentum. The resulting trajectory and velocities of the particles will depend on the angle and speed at which they collided.

4. How does the kinetic energy change after a particle collision?

The total kinetic energy of the particles involved in a collision will remain constant. However, the distribution of kinetic energy between the particles may change depending on the mass and velocity of each particle.

5. What factors affect the outcome of a particle collision?

The outcome of a particle collision is affected by several factors, including the masses of the particles, their velocities, and the angle at which they collide. Additionally, external forces such as friction and gravity may also play a role in the outcome.