Finding Excited States of a Particle in a 1-D Potential

In summary, the question is asking for the determination of the ground and first excited state of the wavefunction of a particle in a one-dimensional potential given by V(x)=B|x|. The Time Independent Schrodinger Equation (TISE) is used, resulting in a differential equation with a potential dependent on x. The solutions to this equation are Airy functions (or Bessel functions of order 1/3). However, for this particular question, it is not necessary to solve for the wavefunction. The focus is on determining the curvature of the wavefunction to sketch the excited states.
dats13

Homework Statement

The quaestion asks to determine the ground an first excited state of the wavefuntion of a particle in a 1-D potential given by [tex]V(x)=B\left | x \right |[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Time Independent Schrodinger Equation (TISE):

[tex]-\frac{\hbar}{2m}\frac{d^{2}\Psi }{dx^{2}}+V\Psi=E\Psi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted the potential into the TISE and with some rearraging of terms I get the following differential equation.

[tex] {\Psi}''+\frac{2m}{\hbar^{2}}(E-B\left | x \right |)\Psi=0[/tex]

This is where I'm stuck. I don't know how to solve this equation because of the potential is dependent on [tex]x[/tex]. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The general solutions will be Airy functions (or Bessel functions of order 1/3).

Ok, but I don't see how I would get bessel's equation. I'm guessing I would need to multiply the equation first by [tex]x^{2}[/tex].

Its much easier to get Airy's equation. Check how you can get that ;)

It turns out for this question I don't actually need to solve for the wavefunction. I just need to determine the curvature of it. Than from there I can get a rough sketch of the excited states, which is all the question asks for. I should have posted the full question, although I know what I need to do now. Thanks for your input Thaakisfox.

What is a "Particle in 1-D Potential"?

A "Particle in 1-D Potential" refers to a physical system in which a single particle is confined to move along a one-dimensional axis, such as a straight line or a ring, and is subject to a potential energy function that depends only on its position along that axis.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is a type of energy that is associated with the position or configuration of an object or system. It is often described as the energy that is stored in a system and is related to the forces acting on the system and the position of the object within the system.

How is a particle's motion affected by the potential energy function?

The potential energy function determines the forces acting on the particle and therefore affects its motion. The particle will tend to move towards regions of lower potential energy, and the shape of the potential energy function will determine the specific path and behavior of the particle.

What are some common examples of 1-D potential systems?

Some common examples of 1-D potential systems include a ball rolling along a track, an electron moving along a wire, and a pendulum swinging back and forth. These systems can be described using mathematical models that involve a potential energy function and the laws of motion.

How is the behavior of a particle in 1-D potential studied?

The behavior of a particle in 1-D potential can be studied using various techniques such as mathematical modeling, simulations, and experiments. These methods allow scientists to understand and predict the behavior of the particle, as well as the effects of different potential energy functions on its motion.