Particle in a Box: Wave Function A_1 Value Confusion

In summary, the wave function of an electron in a one dimensional hydrogen atom of width L is psi(x) = A_n sin (\frac{n \pi x}{L}) where n is the quantum index. If the particle is constrained to lie within the box, the value of A_1 is A when n=1.
ek
The wave function of an electron in a one dimensional hydrogen atom of width [tex]L = 2a_0[/tex] is [tex]\psi(x) = A_n sin (\frac{n \pi x}{L}) [/tex]

If the particle is constrained to lie within the box, what is the value of [tex]A_1[/tex]?

Is this a really easy problem? I might be banging my head for no reason here, I don't know. First of all, the question is ambiguous. What is this box they speak of? I am presuming it's a box of width L, but I don't know for sure. Why the value of just A1? I didn't think the max amplitude changed as n changed.

I'm not looking for an answer here, I'd just like someone to guide me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral of |\psi|^2 from 0 to L must equal one. Just let n=1 and integrate.

In case this is where your confusion lies: n is just a quantum index. Specifically, it's an index of energy.

As you will learn if you study QM, the energy of this system is quantized. This means you cannot have any arbitrary energy. Instead, only certain discreet values are allowed.

This is where the n comes into play. As Meir Achuz already pointed out, when they ask you to find A1 they want you to find A when n=1.

What they're asking you to do is essentially normalize the wave function.

Meir Achuz said:
The integral of |\psi|^2 from 0 to L must equal one. Just let n=1 and integrate.

ek, another way to think about this is this:
Because the particle is confined to an infinite potential well, it must be in that box between 0 and L. It cannot escape because the potential barrier at x=0 and x=L is infinite.

So translating that into math, the probability of finding the particle between 0 and L is 1. So [tex]\int_0^L \psi^{*}\psi = \int_0^L |\psi|^2 = 1[/tex]

Thank you all. I got the answer. Much appreciated.

Related to Particle in a Box: Wave Function A_1 Value Confusion

1. What is a particle in a box?

A particle in a box is a theoretical model often used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined to a specific region or space. The box represents the boundaries within which the particle is confined and cannot escape.

2. What is the wave function of a particle in a box?

The wave function of a particle in a box is a mathematical representation of the particle's quantum state. It describes the probability of finding the particle at a certain position within the box at a given time.

3. What does the subscript "A1" mean in the wave function of a particle in a box?

The subscript "A1" in the wave function of a particle in a box represents the first energy level or state of the particle. In other words, it is the lowest possible energy level that the particle can have while still being confined within the box.

4. Why is there confusion surrounding the A1 value in the wave function of a particle in a box?

The A1 value in the wave function of a particle in a box can be confusing because it is often mistakenly thought to represent the amplitude of the wave function. In reality, the A1 value is a constant that is used to normalize the wave function and does not directly represent the amplitude of the wave function.

5. How is the A1 value calculated in the wave function of a particle in a box?

The A1 value is calculated by solving the Schrodinger equation for the particle in a box, which takes into account the boundary conditions of the box and the energy of the particle. The resulting A1 value is then used to normalize the wave function and ensure that the total probability of finding the particle within the box is equal to 1.