1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle moving along path, change of angle of inclination

1. Jul 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2017-7-16_22-57-30.png

2. Relevant equations
    Equation given in question.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The only thing I could think of was to try changing the y=3x^3 into polar coordinates but I didn't know where to go from there... Could I get some direction to how I should go about this, I'm sort of stumped as to how I should start this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your "question" is unreadable. You should take the trouble to actually type it out here; many helpers would not look at posted images, even if they were readable.

4. Jul 21, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are given a hint to use curvature. Have you been taught any equations relating to that? See "curvature of a graph" at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curvature.
    Or, from first principles, you know ##\theta=\arctan (dy/dx)##. You could find how fast that changes as x changes and divide by how fast distance along the curve changes as x changes.

5. Jul 21, 2017 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I agree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted