1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle moving in potential.

1. Aug 14, 2014 #1
    If I have particle moving in the potential ##V(x)##, when I write equation of motion
    ## \frac{dx}{dt}=-V'(x)+q(t)##
    and when I integrate this equation do I need to look ##V'(x)## as function of time, or I just could write
    ## x(t)=-V'(x)t+\int^t_0q(t)dt ##
    Thanks for your answer!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2014 #2
    It depends on how V is defined. According to what you wrote V=V(x) is just a function of space and hence you are correct.

Anyway, what's q(t)? And how did you obtain that equation of motion?

4. Aug 14, 2014 #3
    Yes but ##x=x(t)## and ##V=V(x)##. So I am confused. But because ##V(x)## is potential I think that I write equation in correct form. This is potential in which particle moves.

5. Aug 14, 2014 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

It seems you're using kind of a "constant of differentiation"(like a constant of integration) which is mathematically wrong!!!
    You should add a constant only when you integrate something, not when you differentiate something!!!

6. Aug 14, 2014 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you are not allowed to integrate the equations of motion like that. Even if V does not depend explicitly on time, it does so implicitly through x.

I also agree with earlier answers that your EoM looks weird.

7. Aug 15, 2014 #6
    Yes but you know. Particle is moving in some potential ##V(x)##. In certain moment ##t## it has coordinate ##x(t)##. ##q(t)## is certain pulse. How do you write down this solution?

8. Aug 15, 2014 #7

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Well...You can't write the solution without knowing what is q(t)!

9. Aug 15, 2014 #8

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Well...You can't write the solution without knowing what is q(t)!

Also the following is wrong.
    Because x is an unknown function of time so you can't integrate. That's called a differential equation and it has its own methods.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook